The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Forum Owned Horse?

Home Forums Archive Topics Forum Owned Horse?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

Has anyone ever entertained the idea of getting ‘x’ amount of forum members together in a syndicate to purchase a racehorse?

Just say as an example, if you could get 50 members to throw in an initial £100 or something like that to purchase a horse, and then set something up after for all members to contribute to for all the other costs involved.

Is it even a slight possibility, or is it a totally ridiculous idea?

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25166

Hi Zamorston

Put me on the shortlist, Its one of my dreams to own / part own or be part of a syndicate. I wouldnt know if it was a possibility or not, depend on how many people were interested.

Member since March 2008
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8966

Zamorston –

It’s actually an idea that has been mooted and I’m currently putting a proposition together to that very effect.

That’s three of us so far at least then.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1904

Of course the forums syndicate does still exist and our new recruit should be running in the next couple of months.
    However as you know Corm we have always struggled for numbers meaning we have had to operate at the lower end of the scale (with pretty decent results in all honesty).
    It will be very interesting to see how things pan out and how much interest you get when putting forward your proposal.
    Best of luck!

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

Excellent news, I await further updates with interest!

It’s something I’ve always fancied and maybe 20 years down the line when my mortgage is payed off, kids grown up and left home and I’ve earned my fortune, then it may be a possibility to own a horse of my own.

Until then though, if there’s something on offer that’s not going to break the bank then I’ll more than likely be interested.

number15
    • Total Posts 10

I was contemplating buying a share in a horse last year, until I decided I probably can’t really afford it at the moment, however if the forum put a syndicate together I would be interested.

petski
    • Total Posts 81

Myself and another forum member "Tuffers", set up a Race Club a couple of years ago for some friends and family members. We currently have 2 horses in training with Mark Brisbourne. You can find out more about it at http://www.stratfordbardsracing.co.uk. If you wanted to dip your toe in the water with racehorse ownership it’s certainly a cheap enough way of doing so. Let me know what you think.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

how will we all fit in the paddock?? – I suppose we could run it at Yarmouth…..

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25166

Petski good luck with your horses for the coming season,what is it like being part of a syndicate/race club?

I wouldnt rule out becoming a member of your race club but at the moment im looking for something a bit closer to home and would be more for the jumps to be honest.

Member since March 2008
    petski
    • Total Posts 81

It’s been great. We are now on horses 5 and 6 with Mark. The first one was useless, but the second horse won, and last year we had mixed fortunes, as Kings Art had a chronic breathing problem which meant that he could not fulfill his potential, although he did finish second twice, but our other horse Elopement won the Channel Four Trophy for the winning most horse in 2008, which was magnificent. The two new horses are both showing up well, and we are going to the stables on Saturday to watch both horses on the gallops. Of the two I personally like Thankfully, she is by Green Desert out of a Darshaan mare and although she is showing a bit of speed at home, Mark is sure that 10/12 furlongs will be her trip, and longer term she has the size and scope to make a hurdler.

All the best if you join a Race Club/Syndicate, my suggestion would be to try and find out as much as you can about the people running the Syndicate before you join as I have heard some horror stories about some Race Clubs.

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25166

Thanks for the advice Petski and once again good luck for the season,i will be keeping an eye out for Thankfully.

Member since March 2008
    Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

Thanks for the advice Petski and once again good luck for the season,i will be keeping an eye out for Thankfully.

Nathan

She runs tomorrow at Doncaster. It’ll be a quiet introduction so we’re just looking to see her settle and travel.

MDeering
    • Total Posts 1688

I’ll be in a syndicate horse for sure.

All my requirements are:

1) The trainer tells it like it is.

2) The horse has a terrific temperament, extremely healthy with no breathing problems. And voila – you’ll get the best out of your horse everytime.

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I’ll be in a syndicate horse for sure.

All my requirements are:

1) The trainer tells it like it is.

2) The horse has a terrific temperament, extremely healthy with no breathing problems. And voila – you’ll get the best out of your horse everytime.

Sounds like the most useless horse in the world! :D

Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25166

Nathan

She runs tomorrow at Doncaster. It’ll be a quiet introduction so we’re just looking to see her settle and travel.

Thanks Tuffers and good luck.

Member since March 2008
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.