The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Flooding

Home Forums Lounge Flooding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

.. have you been affected .. ??

I was down in Hull last weekend and had to clear out my grandfathers house. The flood water was away but the whole place inside and out stunk of pish .. full streets with people’s belongings piled up in the garden .. once in every 400 years they said and now it’s happened again.

So why has it happened, God punishing us for a decadent society, global warming .. no idea. I am personally in the ‘no idea’ camp.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I may join in you in that camp, Dave, along with anyone who is being honest.

If I hear one more witless radio presenter ask another weatherman if this is the effect of global warming, I shall emit a long warm blast of carbon dioxide and a string of expletives that would not be allowed on a forum like this.

Witless presenter: Is this the effect of global warming?
    Weatherman: I really don’t know
    Witless presenter: And now here’s brainless with a travel update.

(Copyright Radio Five)

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

the jet stream has moved, through climate change, and it’s affecting our weather…or something like that…saw it on the weather but wasn’t watching properly till it finished!!

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

What about property prices .. this could be as devastating as the second world war, a blessing in disguise maybe ?

I read that about the Jetstream .. I would have thought that that would be there all of the time though, more made up pseudo-science ?

I reckon someone, soemwhere is doing a rain-dance.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Well obviously I’m not affected being here (I do feel sorry for those that are) but if I was in my tiny stone cottage in Booze then I’d be ok as it looks down into the Dale, there’d have to be an awful lot more rain to affect it. :lol:

Small Bear
    • Total Posts 52

the whole climate change thingy hasn’t really run it’s course yet…still trying to get to the bottom of it…but ocean temperature is rising and that seems to have affected the stream….

from the met office…
    not that it make encoraging reading…sounds more like they are preparibng us to be unhappy for a while!!

METEOROLOGISTS have blamed Britain’s wet summer on the unusual position of the jet stream, a belt of fast-moving air 36,000ft above the earth that controls the movements of bad-weather systems.

During most summers the jet stream lies across the north Atlantic, effectively penning bad weather there and in the Greenland Sea so that only Iceland and Scandinavia are affected by them.

This allows anti-cyclones, the high-pressure weather systems associated with warm, sunny summer weather, to move up from Europe to cover Britain.

This year, however, the jet stream has moved several hundred miles to the south. This has allowed depressions, the low-pressure weather systems that bring storms and heavy rain, to batter Britain.

The situation has been made worse by the hot and sunny weather systems lying over much of central and south eastern Europe. These interact with depressions to generate the storms and cloudbursts behind the recent floods.

Why, though, has the jet stream shifted southwards? Scientists are not sure of all the reasons but believe there is a link to a natural phenomenon known as La Niña.

This occurs when cool water surges up from the bottom of the Pacific off Peru. The water cools the air above it, setting off a series of changes in the Earth’s atmospheric circulation.

Other factors appear to be at work too. One of them could be the warming of the Atlantic. Matt Huddleston, principal climate change consultant at the Met Office, said such conditions were one of the effects of climate change.

Kebab
    • Total Posts 24

Maybe we might get some proper jumping ground at Cheltenham for the first meeting of the year in October ?

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

but if I was in my tiny stone cottage in Booze then I’d be ok as it looks down into the Dale,

The booze at Tan Hill is good

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

Why, though, has the jet stream shifted southwards? Scientists are not sure of all the reasons but believe there is a link to a natural phenomenon known as La Niña.

La Niña is a 7 year cycle thing (or something and concerns ocean currents) if this was tied in with that sort of phenomena then that would mean that the Gulf Stream would move also .. which would be dire for the racing fixtures over the next millenia or so.

Let’s hope that they are wrong, all we can do in the meantime, is keep recycling the cans.

If this is a global warming problem, they should immediately introduce and import tax of around 200% on all manufactured goods to reduce the effects of Globalisation.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Don’t be silly, Dave. Global warming is a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE requiring an awful lot of soundbites and publicity photos. It doesn’t mean we actually have to change anything. Economies around the world can go on growing forever and ever and as long as we remember to insert the word green into everything we say, things will turn out okay in the end.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i believe this global warming is tosh made up by nerdy boffins to keep themselves in jobs – did the dinosaurs die out because they caused reverse global warming by farting too much methane into the atmosphere and did caveman global warm the ice age away by learning how to make fire and burning too many things ?

no, it is called evolution and over the lifetime of this planet it will get hotter and colder from time to time

;)

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Oh thank God for that, Simon.

I’ve been worried sick these past months by the apocalyptic deforestation of the planet, meltdown levels of species extinction, unusual seismic activity, La Nina, global economic interests, the Biofuel Dilemma, the negation of Malthus, acceletating population growth, increased methane emissions from the sea bed, global cooling and exponential ozone decay.

Now, thanks to you, I know it’s all complete bollocks!! Cheers!! :D

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

thats ok, glad to be of service – and another reason not to waste time worrying or trying to change things is that it will happen anyway regardless of what happens, so – chin up and onwards with a smile, don’t look back

blind optimism really is the way forward

;)

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

blind optimism really is the way forward

LOL. I hope you’re wrong, I really do.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.