The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Feilden Stakes 2021

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Feilden Stakes 2021

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Early in the flat season + i think i already have a fancy lol.

Tight market so far, but i think Youth Spirit should be shorter for Balding/Murphy.

He caught the eye in his maiden 4th, which has worked out very well. He then went on to win his maiden with Naval Crown (108 rated) in third. That was on 7f soft and i think being by Camelot he will have decent stamina. He then went on to finish a decent 3rd running on at the end. Battleground was first that day and went onto run 2nd at the BC. The 2nd Devious Company didn’t do too much for the form thereafter but he did finish 2nd in a g2 the race before, so he is pretty solid. The difference being i am hoping Youth Spirit will be a little bit better upped in trip here to 1m1, by Camelot out of a Fastnet Rock mare you’d be hopeful 1m1 will be in his grasp.

Balding is 5-15 and also 5 places in the past 14 days, so he’s really hit the ground running. Balding/Murphy combination with 3yos is very useful.

Negatives for me are, he had a setback after Goodwood and finished for the season, however, the fact he’s out so soon is a positive- Balding also said he’s a possible for the Guineas (unlikely iMO). Some very unexposed regally bred sorts in there, but this is the start of the flat, so no surprises there.

15/2 e.w.

:good:

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Just had a look at him and I agree with everything you’ve said

Hes even proven at the track

Joining you on the 15/2 e/w and hoping at least 8 run

Participant
    • Total Posts 891

I am a big fan of Highland Avenue. Have backed him at 100/1 down to 40/1 for the 2000G.

Won twice on the all weather, looks a class apart. By Dubawi out of Lumiere. Massively under the radar, but I expect that to end tomorrow.

Backing 9/2 and expecting a big run.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Heard various whispers (on Podcasts, I am not ‘in the know’ in any way, shape, or form!) about Royal Champion over the winter, I like the yard, and his maiden looks a very smart one.

Was hoping to see him in the Craven rather than this, and would have backed him for the Guineas at 33’s. Presumably looking more at The Derby with him.

The maiden may look smart as I said, but I can’t be backing him at favourite for this on the back of it. A watching brief for me, good look on both the other angles I have read on here, couldn’t argue with either of them.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Yeah Charlie, proper lovely pedigree there, loved Lumiere as a racemare. I just wasn’t that taken by the form of his 2nd win.

Looked a nice horse too TTCm but as you say at the price he was opposable!

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Whats the odds theres another NR tomorrow so the bookies only have to pay 2 places?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

1/4 here.

BUY THE SUN

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6596

Thats probably value

Participant
    • Total Posts 16441

My favourite Meeting as it heralds the start of the flat season and…

I’m also with Highland Avenue to win the Fielden tomorrow.

Such a dream pedigree Dubawi and Lumiere who I saw absolutely destroy her rivals on the Newmarket July Course making all to win her maiden race by 6 furlongs to applause from the crowd. She was entered in the 1000 Guineas the following year but after leading the field ran ouf of steam and finished last of 16. She was unlucky to come up against Minding and Ballydoyle that year.

Highland Avenue has run 3 races in his career so far improving with every run but his last two runs were completely different but both resulted in him winning comfortably. Both at Kempton AW in the first ridden by Hollie Doyle he was 10 Lengths back in last position 3 furlongs from home when he sprouted wings and quickly passed them all to win going away. In tbe other race, Class 2, he made all again winning comfortably.

I have backed him like charlie87 at 40/1 for the 2000 Guineas. :good: and expecting a massive performance from him tomorrow to win from Royal Champion.

Highland Avenue .. Win

Best of luck
    Jac :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

My guess is it’s Fancy Man that’s the NR…

Participant
    • Total Posts 16441

Yes FF you might be right about a non runner as it’s at the back of my mind that Godolphin may take out Highland Avenue to run him in the Craven.
    Fingers ctossed they don’t.
    Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

It’s a funny distance the fielden and Secret Protector has already proven he can win at it and is race fit. The second he beat in Dubai finished a neck second to an odds on favourite next time out in a Deauville conditions stakes so he maybe the type of CA horse to come back fit and ready for this meeting.

It’s disappointing to see Royal Champion here and not in a Guineas trial and that speaks volumes to me that he’s not actually that good, Arturo Toscanini is interesting but AOB doesn’t have a good record at this meeting, Highland Avenue could be anything, Youth Spirit is interesting AB in good early season form again.

Probably won’t be a race I’ll bet in as you could make a decent case for most of them, it’s wide open.

Secret protector would probably be the one I’d back. Would be interested to read any AB comments on Youth Spirit today if there’s any though

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“It’s disappointing to see Royal Champion here and not in a Guineas trial”

Must admit Frenchy I was very much hoping for a Craven run.

BUY THE SUN

Frenchy15
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1429

yeah, he looks like the type of horse that they will get stuck with about what his distance is. He’s not quick enough for a mile, but his breeding doesn’t suggest he’ll get the Derby trip either. I’m hoping he ends up somewhere like the Hampton Court now, but I can easily see him doing just well enough today and possibly in a derby trial and then connections going for it in the Derby because “why not” “there’s only one Derby” etc and then he won’t stay and we won’t see him again until later in the season!

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7348

My favourite Meeting as it heralds the start of the flat season 

I was doing my entry for the Craven/Guineas comp thinking “I have never heard of any of these horses except the older handicappers, but I bet Jac is bouncing with happiness”. I’m excited for you!!

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Frenchy – If he hacks up today, I’m sure they will be tempted to honour the Guineas entry. All ifs and buts of course – but its great to speculate!

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 3877

Have to admit, i wasn’t expected 9-1 on Youth Spirit this morning, but i guess that’s the start of the flat! Horses starting out again, always harder to guess what way they go in the market.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.