The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Favourite Snacks

Home Forums Lounge Favourite Snacks

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Life is a bag of Revels
    And I’m searching for the orange centres

– "Polar Bear", (c)1991 The Charlatans

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Quote –

Sugar puffs have a very unpleasant metallic after taste now that they never used to have.

Agreed

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I still mourn the loss of OLD JAMAICA chocolate. :cry:

And why o why did they replace the original MILKY WAY filling with that horrible white gunge they now use ? :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Dammit … Old Jamaica! I bloody loved that chocolate! Ah jeez …

Oh and does anyone remember Burton’s

potato puffs

and Smith’s

bones

and

fangs

?

This thread is depressing me now! :evil:

:wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The AZTEC bar, a mixture of a Mars bar with rasins!! it had the career of
    a group winning 2yo! It was a stallion of a Chocolate bar!
    Old English Spangles! disgusting!!

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

Anyone remember Texan bars or a bar called a Nutty or what about the bar that had coconut and cherries, was it a cariba or something like that? :? Nice pic of the Pacers Jeremy, that takes me back. I like them then but the thought of them now…yuck :shock:

PulsatrixP
    • Total Posts 53

The very first day that sweets came off the ration, after the war, I bought 2oz of Sherbet Lemons. (Those hard-boiled sweets)
    They have deteriated ever since. More outer/less inner. :)

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Anyone remember Texan bars or a bar called a Nutty or what about the bar that had coconut and cherries, was it a cariba or something like that? :? Nice pic of the Pacers Jeremy, that takes me back. I like them then but the thought of them now…yuck :shock:

Oh yes, I remember the coconut and cherries bar but actually, they weren’t cherries, they was melon pieces and the name of the bar was called Cabana.

I used to buy Texan bars and Nuttys too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

potato puffs

and Smith’s

bones

and

fangs

?

Was more of a Tudor Crisps and Smiths Flavour ‘N’ Shake boy myself.

And Sky-Divers.

And Piglets.

And Tubes.

And Ringos.

I lived on crisps, I did.

etc.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

• Total Posts 1688

A proper Curly Wurly.

The ones where you needed teeth like a great white shark and the arms of Geoff Capes to be able to eat.

Nope, still the same in Oz.

They are hard work but extremely rewarding!

And Bulwark, I thought Pepsi were contracted worldwide as a drink provider to KFC? Mind you, I’ve never been for a few years now.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

potato puffs

and Smith’s

bones

and

fangs

?

Was more of a Tudor Crisps and Smiths Flavour ‘N’ Shake boy myself.

And Sky-Divers.

And Piglets.

And Tubes.

And Ringos.

I lived on crisps, I did.

Crisps are my biggest vice and, like you, I lived on them. Tudor crisps dwindled out before I reached my teens but my memory of them is that they were great tasting crisps. I think they did those ‘wear em, scare em’ badge things too :lol:

From the others you have listed (I’ve tasted them all), piglets were my favourites but they were made in such a way that I couldn’t seem to get enough of them in my mouth and my cheeks would be bulging like a squirrels’ as I munched away :D

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

I don’t have much of a sweet tooth myself, so I’m all for the

Chocolate Tax

:D :D

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

And Bulwark, I thought Pepsi were contracted worldwide as a drink provider to KFC? Mind you, I’ve never been for a few years now.

No, I had thought that too, when moving to england some years ago that KFC had just changed its supply contract from Coke to pepsi, but back home its still Coke. IMO pepsi is gross, Tango is also gross, the only drink on pepsi’s list that is reasonable is 7up. Coke and greasy food were made for each other. Pizza Hut (and Witherspoons) are on the Pepsi wagon too, the stinkers. Burger King and Mcdonalds are still coke, however McDs food is horrid, which cancels out any benefit of stocking Coke, so Burger King are the kings for now. Admittedly Pepsi Max is probably the best of the Nutrasweet flavoured diet drinks, but I stay well clear of the whole lot of them.

One thing I actually think has got better over the years is the Rice Krispie squares bars. And speaking of them, the other night I went to the larder and spotted a pack of rice krispie squares, then I spotted a jar of Nutella, the two went well together.

Rice Krispie squares + Nutella = Good (but probably takes you another few mile down the road to eventual diabetes).

Another thing which changed for the worse was Opal Fruit lollys, why did they start putting bits of fruit in them?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32169

Mcdonald’s big macs have got smaller over the years either that or myself, eyes and belly have got bigger. :oops:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

They have got smaller I think, where burger king is getting bigger (possibly not for the better)

I can remember when you used to get a whopper in box, now a whopper has been surpassed by the XL double whopper and XL Bacon Double Cheeseburger. It seems that if you prefer just a normal whopper, then you dont even deserve a box, wrapped up in piece of paper is all your getting.

This isnt good if, like me, you have an OCD fixation with tipping your fries into the other side of the Whopper box…. :roll:

I remember when you could smoke in McDonalds. My mate used make a little man out of all the packing, the fries box was the body, the polystyrene burger box (they dont do them anymore either) was the head, the straws were arms and the ashtray was a little hat. And all the hole making for the straws and finishing touches were done with a lit cigarette. Every meal was a happy meal for him… :lol:

• Total Posts 4293

I’ve got an uncut wholemeal loaf that I bought on Saturday, and haven’t started eating yet.

I’m thinking of making a Bread Pudding after racing.

What I can remember as a kid, is putting butter on the bread, putting a layer of sugar and currants between slices, and when completed adding milk. Bung in the oven until done.

Does anyone have a favourite recipe?

I’m thinking of going upmarket, and using either raisins or sultanas. Also, I suppose things like ginger, mace and cinnamon are de rigeuer these days.

• Total Posts 1063

With lovely hot, thick custard. What about spreading strawberry jam on each slice, Gerald?
    We’ll be round in a couple of hours and bring our own spoons.
    K
    p.s. Hope you’re settling in well to your new abode.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.