The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Haldon Gold Cup 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Haldon Gold Cup 2011

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BosranicBosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Two intriguing races this afternoon.

The Haldon Gold Cup @ 2.50, where Captain Chris will face stiff opposition from old rivals Ghizao and Medermit, and the ‘Betfred Goals Galore Novices’ Chase, featuring the chasing debuts of Menorah and Sam Winner.

I’ve never hidden my admiration for Captain Chris – a wonderfully consistent, talented and beautiful individual. He took awhile to find his feet over fences and suffered two defeats at the hoofs of Ghizao before comprehensively defeating that rival in the Arkle, where another former conqueror, Medermit, finished fourth.

He was a fair novice hurdler and has proven he’s no slouch over the minimum distance, but I touted him as a King George prospect prior to Cheltenham and nothing I have seen since has altered that assumption.

He has more obvious scope for improvement than his main rivals, and both my heart and head think he will win tomorrow.

The exciting Menorah makes his debut over fences tomorrow, but I’m not convinced he’s a certainty. He finished his juvenile hurdling campaign on a mark of 151 before enjoying a fruitful season last year, but at the same stage of their respective careers, Sam Winner finished on a mark of 145 (previously 148) and will be receiving 8lb. He has always given the impression that he will make a better chaser.

The Old Roan, Charlie Hall and now Haldon Gold Cup day. You know the jumping game is back. :wink:

PantsPants
    Participant
    • Total Posts 630

Am a big captain Chris fan but have backed Ghizao today at 11/4, he had the meausre of CC twice this time last year, he gets 5lb also and track and ground should suit plus Nicholls yard is in better early season from than Hobbs…..so watch CC hack up!

Both Menorah and Sam Winner look like they’ll make into top chasers, should be a interesting tussle, not a betting race for me but at the odds I’d take the Nicholls horse.

Agree Bos, great to be getting back into full swing with the jumps.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1195

Hobbs early season form is hardly an issue. 5/30 last two weeks and some relatively high profile wins too

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17722

I’d slightly favour Captain Chris over Ghizao, though with both trainers insisting their horses are fit, and Alan King saying Medermit isn’t, a reverse fc looks the order of the day.

thehorsesmouththehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5481

Zaarito’s the one to be on today lads :wink:

Good luck!

JJMSportsJJMSports
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Captain Chris and Menorah unlucky, look to show great promise and will have a lot more to come.

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

What a fantastic horse Captain Chris is. Still running over a trip blatantly too short for him found enough to come and all but win his race which he clearly would have bar that awkward jump the sent RJ out the side door.

Roll on the King George.

RJ was a fence ahead of himself thinking I won’t be falling off at the last this time. He was right :lol:

Menorah looked like he has a great future ahead of him. Would never have taken him for a chaser and was no big fan of his over hurdles but it will take some horse to prevent him from taking the Arkle Trophy. He looked brilliant today.

Could be a fantastic season for PH with Wishful Thinking waiting in the wings

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1571

Given the way Menorah jumped to the right at the 4th and 3rd last and his diving at the 2nd last, some improvement in his jumping under pressure might be needed before he can be considered a good thing for a race 4 months away.

msercs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 164

What a day! I love my local track, but what drama at the course today.

I think the sun up the straight played a part, both Captain Chris and Menorah did almost the same thing, some of the blame apportioned to RJ on the racing post website amazes me really, everyone quick to blame the jockey.

Had three winners so well pleased, although very lucky with Shammick Boy! Only bet him as its one of my favourite yards. Victor Dartnall a man to follow through the season for sure.

The way Menorah jumped up until the 2nd last certainly does not put me off.

How did everyone else get on today?

Martin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.