The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 472 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

My derby horse for me that i have seen though also some horses not made debut yet like those below and my main bet is

UNICORN 33/1

A very impressive maiden winner at Leopardstown the way he went clear in final furlong was the most impressive thing by him he is still green as well.Lots more to come from him not suprise me if he stays at Leopardstown for race they won with
    AUSTRALIA and JFK last year before plotting there route for Epsom.

Of the unraced newcomers waiting to see

MOONLIGHT MAGIC
    SAN FRANSICSO
    BIRTHPLACE
    PIETRO TESTA
    FRONTIERSMAN
    MIDTERM

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

I have had a good look at the market for Epsom and can’t have Deauville at the odds he is. He hasn’t run beyond 7f yet and it’s a long way to Epsom and 12 furlongs. Shogun was a flop on the soft last time and is no value either in my opinion, he was bitterly disappointing on his debut and they found no excuse other than a lack of concentration. The blinkers went on and he won his maiden well but that race has worked out woefully, with no subsequent winners from twenty runs since. I think he’s terrible odds.

My two early picks at huge odds are Recorder from the William Haggas stable and Foundation from the Gosden yard. I expect both colts to progress well and improve with the step up in trip. Perhaps they might clash in something like the Royal Lodge but I think there is value at 50/1 and 33/1 to base an early position on.

Recorder 50/1 (Ladbrokes and others)

Foundation 33/1 (William Hill)

Both horses have Royal Lodge and Racing Post Trophy entries and both are entered in next year’s Derby.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Typical you just pick one and the kiss of death strikes. Recorder has picked up an injury that has ruled him out for the rest of the season.

William Haggas has said they hope to aim him at the Guineas and Derby next season but it’s obviously an extra question mark.

John Gosden had better wrap Foundation in cotton wool now that he’s cursed with my selection 😥

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

Was going to back Foundation for the Derby after the weekend’s listed win, watching the replay changed my mind. Pronounced rounded action put me off. Ante-post prices are not only about how good the horse will be; it’s also liklihood of running and/or getting conditions to suit. imo Very doubtful connections risk him on good-firm; especially when an undulating racecourse like Epsom exacerbates that risk. If it wasn’t for Foundation’s action I’d have been willing to take half the 33/1 available.

Value Is Everything
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

Royal lodge today and Beresford stakes tomorrow so should be derby clues after both races
    for me i hope UNICORN wins beresford stakes

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

With Racingpost trophy this week should get a clear fav going into the water if we get a good winner.

MOONLIGHT MAGIC 25/1 a Jim Bolger horse i been raving about made debut at weekend won well was still green though the 2nd ran on he never caught the winner.This horse has the breeding of a derby winner and when you think Golden Horn and Workforce won derby after one run at 2.No shock of this horse can do it to.

Participant
    • Total Posts 237

I thought it was a very encouraging debut Darren. The second looks decent as well.

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2478

Midterm runs tomorrow at newbury over a mile(2.25)

Participant
    • Total Posts 2251

Midterm runs tomorrow at newbury over a mile(2.25)

Midterm very impressive B-)

nwalton
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2478

thejudge, i concur

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I think Steve has fine value about Foundation at 33s. I’ve taken some 14s before today’s big race. The camp seems confident he’ll stay as shades of Golden Horn surround his pedigree.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I took 20/1 about Johannes Vermeer before the French Group 1 he contested on ground he certainly found too fast and have got 33/1 since.I cant believe he’s 9/1 today in a race with a great Derby record,the Racing Post Trophy.He’ll get his ground today but Epsom could come up too fast so this might be his ‘Derby’ this afternoon.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7848

Back him today i did Gord was decent 2nd question is who should be derby fav now winner today will probaly not stay 1m4 while FOUNDATION is a 1m2 horse.Who do you guys think should be fav for derby

And i hope MOONLIGHT MAGIC wins tomorrow in Ireland only worry for him think it might come a bit to quick after maiden win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Can’t believe Foundation drifted for The Derby after today. Should have shortened imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Can’t believe Foundation drifted for The Derby after today. Should have shortened imo

Just shows Dettori can ride like a T*at at times too Joe.The winner wont beat the 2nd or 3rd over 11/2m as 3yo’s for sure.The Racing Post Trophy will yet again thow up the following seasons Derby Winner.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

That’s a bold, and odd, statement.

The Foundation poser will rumble on all winter now, but I can’t see how you can predict the winner never confirming with the runner up. Beat him easily didn’t he?
    :unsure:

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

That’s a bold, and odd, statement.

The Foundation poser will rumble on all winter now, but I can’t see how you can predict the winner never confirming with the runner up. Beat him easily didn’t he?
    :unsure:

I’m both Bold and Odd Cheeky.Agreed the Winner won comfortably but like I say a 11/2m as 3yo’s is a different ball game and out of the first 3 home I’ll take Johannes Vermeer over that trip everytime.Those on ‘Foundation’ were left scratching their heads yesterday,he too is a Group 1 winner in waiting but he could be a Guineas sort still.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 472 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.