The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

To be honest, I think most of think that. We’re just looking for something to oppose it with on the basis "If St Nicholas Abbey is a certainty, why ain’t it odds on?"

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Does our boy Frankie get his wrists slapped for not keeping a straight line?Imagine Fallon was riding the horse the whole stewards room would be down on him like a ton of bricks.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Elusive Pimpernel

Not just me that he excites. Thanks for the comments above and especially re supplements.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … 11008.html

No I didn’t write it!

He is a big horse so it will be interesting to see how much muscle he’s put on.

Put on loads of muscle not puny like SNA.

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,365457,00.html

Can’t see SNA beating this one ever again. I also have a substantial financial interest in saying that! :D :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Dunlop once again said he doesn’t see Elusive Pimpernel as a Derby horse. He won’t run. I can see him going 2000 Guineas and then straight onto the Eclipse. Maybe then onto the Juddmonte and the Irish Champion.

I’m looking for quotes from Dunlop but I can’t find any. Certainly I heard an interview from him last year saying that he doesn’t think the horse will get further than a mile. All I can find is a quote from the Racing Post analysis;

‘although his trainer doesn´t see him as a Derby horse at all.’

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Looking further into the season, Dunlop added: “He will get a mile and a quarter at most and is not a Derby horse.

“He is in the French Derby and there are plenty of options, but we will see what happens in the Guineas first.”

Edit – Fair point I’ve just read. EP wasn’t supplemented at the last stage. Only thing left now is the £75,000 stage on May 31st. Forget him for the Derby, he won’t be entered and he won’t run.

• Total Posts 4293

Zarkava has written on the Guineas thread that the Guardian Classic Trial has been rubbish for years. Does it make a difference, concerning Workforce, that Stoute ran both Shergar and Shahrastani in it?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

That was 25+ years ago, Gerald.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It was suggested on one of these threads that Mikhail Glinka might be a good bet for the Derby. I couldn’t disagree more. I wouldn’t even back him today in the trial. Not the profile of a Derby winner for mine.

• Total Posts 1511

Passion For Gold not gone for the Derby….

Chabal*
    Kingsfort
    Passion For Gold

2 Group 1 winning Juveniles and 1 Group 1 runner up now won’t make any of the classic’s?

*Havent head anything about Chabal so he must be injured

The mind boggles at times….leave the horses in England for goodness sake. Their flesh and bone not machinery to be shipped around the globe

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

No outstanding candidate coming from the Ballysax today.

• Total Posts 1511

Messy race….

Agreed no Derby Winner’s their

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yes and as predicted the Glinka runs a stinker. :lol:

Sorry I simply couldn’t resist that cheap pun. Seriously though that lot are pretty average on the Derby scale of thinking. Perhaps one of them is a chance in Italy or Germany.

• Total Posts 1511

Maybe Glinka could improve maybe 10lb from that run and he was bumped a few times but really he should be winning that if he deserves a place in the Derby

2nd String ran a cracker imo

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Slow pace, stable taking their time to come to hand, 2nd & 3rd favs for the Derby won’t be running, etc. Personally I think Mikhail Glinka is a great each-way bet.

• Total Posts 1511

He flicked his ears and pulled very hard.

Looks a tough tough ride….if you saw him after the line his head was nearly to one side.

Beautiful looking horse…Black and very powerful.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Chiswickian, congratulations on that fine prediction. Who’d have thought it, a short-priced O’Brien favourite beaten in April…

I backed Famous Warrior in the race, and although it was a scrappy contest run at a steady pace, I was actually impressed with Mikhail. He showed a nice turn of foot, clearly wasn’t appreciating the pace (possibly the ground too) and I think it’s folly to ignore the chosen runner to go down the proven O’Brien route of Ballysax-Derrinstown.

Let’s also not forget he was Murtagh’s chosen mount in the Royal Lodge, ahead of the winner Joshua Tree. 50s with totesport is a bit silly really, I don’t think I’d bother at 33s.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hahahaha. Funny you should mention the Royal Lodge winner. He was also beaten by Puncher Clynch. Yes I know he got into a spot of bother that day. I wont be on the edge of my seat awaiting the return of Joshua Tree though.

As for Joshua Tree in the Derby – let’s just say "I still haven’t found what I’m looking for". :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.