The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 99

There was actually an informative Turf Trivia on the Morning Line yesterday.

What made last year’s Derby unique for the first time in 39 years (ie since Nijinsky’s) was that there were no British-trained horses in the first three.

You should normally be able to get a good run for your money if you select the right British-trained horse.

This Ballydoyle obsession that certain people have here and elsewhere gets right up my nose. I don’t understand this devotion to a single stable and disregard of all others.

Ballydoyle may well farm the Irish Derby again, but that doesn’t matter, as THE IRISH DERBY IS AN UNIMPORTANT RACE.

It was briefly important when the winners of the Derby and the Prix du Jockey-Club met there, but those days are gone.

Rubbish, Rubbish rubbish. Look at the records for the Irish Derby winners:

Sinndar (2000) – Went on to win Arc

Gailieo (2001) – Won King George

High Chapparal (2002) – Went on to win Breeders Cup Turf twice and then Irish Champion

Alamshar (2003) – Won king George

Grey Swallow (2004) – May not have done much since but still won Grade 2 in US.

Hurricane Run (2005) – Do I need to say anymore??

Dylan Thomas (2006) – Legend.

Soldier Of Fortune (2007) – Won Coronation Cup and only beaten by Zarkava/Youmzain in Arc

Frozen Fire (2008) – Fair enough, rubbish.

Fame And Glory (2009) – Only found STS too good in Irish Champion, dismissed by many as a slow horse but has since won Tattersalls and Coronation Cup and may still do better.

I know I’m proabaly just picking a fight but come on.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Cape Blanco backers can probaly sleep a bit easier tonight, he wouldn’t have got within 15 lengths of Workforce on todays showing.

So he would have been beaten by Coordinated Cut then? Cape Blanco looked to have one hell of a rough race today, he surely should be forgiven that run, Workforce we had to forgive for one run in a short runner field and Cape Blanco deserves the benefit of the doubt after that race even though he disappointed.

That said the French winner was superb today mind, would love for him to win the Arc, he seems really decent.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Hasn’t a hope of staying and the connections know it. Dropping him back to a mile for the Jacques le Marois.

• Total Posts 4293

11/10 Sinndar
    4/11 Galileo
    1/3 High Chaparral
    4/5 Hurricane Run
    8/11 Fame And Glory

YAWN

I sense I am going to lose this.

• Total Posts 185

Well done Workforce backers, some big shouts for it on here.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cape Blanco backers can probaly sleep a bit easier tonight, he wouldn’t have got within 15 lengths of Workforce on todays showing.

So he would have been beaten by Coordinated Cut then? Cape Blanco looked to have one hell of a rough race today, he surely should be forgiven that run, Workforce we had to forgive for one run in a short runner field and Cape Blanco deserves the benefit of the doubt after that race even though he disappointed.

With Cape Blanco being beaten 8l today, and Coordinated Cut 12 yesterday, the Dante form begins to look decidedly dodgy, and far too much is being read into Workforce’s position in the race, imo.
    The Coolmore 3yo’s just aren’t that good this year.

curragh
    • Total Posts 27

Coolmore 3-year-olds not so good this year? You may be proven correct.
    However, I recall people saying that about their horses last year, yet without Sea The Stars, they would have won a few more Group 1 races.

Workforce looked like a good horse in winning and we can only look forward to him repeating or even improving on that performance.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

With the results in from France I believe that there must be a problem at Ballydoyle. The horses are sick and cannot run.Aidan said that his horses could not pass their own pacemaker in the Derby and in France Cape Blanco showed the same ability as Midas Touch and JanVermeer did in the Derby ie nothing.Perhaps they were showing what SNA showed the previous week at the gallops?Can all three have gone backwards naturally since the derby trials? Only if they are sick.Aidan also said that despite the vets opinion he was giving SNA a month off when the vet suggested a week. Why give a horse a month off after a very easy season?Before consigning the Ballydoyle three year olds to the dustbin we need to stop and reflect.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

The Derby was won by the best horse by far on the day.

Many did not act on the very fast going, and probably Epsom, and were effectively pulled up.

Workforce still has a lot to prove and I hope he does.

Be a good horse to back against.

:D :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The only chance Sariska has of beating Fame And Glory again is at 10f or the ground came up a bog, Fame And Glory played with her at Epsom.

You really got to take those AOB rose coloured specs off. Irrespective of what Sariska does Fame and Glory would need a rocket tied to his ass to win an Arc.

Too many that comes out of that yard like Cape Blanco who I openly forecast would not have a hope in hell of winning the Derby is approximately half the odds he should be.

Even if he has improved 7lbs which would amaze me, on the book he wouldn’t beat the likes of Youzmain for one.

He has a massive task ahead of him if he’s going to win and I’m damned if I can see where a horse who has been overused already this season, albeit by some very clever placing, is likely to improve.

Anyway as long as SNA has 4 legs I wouldn’t be toughing F and G with a brage pole………chances are he may not even be their best hope come the day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

You really got to take those AOB rose coloured specs off. Irrespective of what Sariska does Fame and Glory would need a rocket tied to his ass to win an Arc.

Fist,you are one of the contributors to this forum who"s opinion i respect,i like the way you express yourself,always confident and thats number 1 priority for any would be gambler! Unfortunately,just now and again you come out with the biggest load of B******s and this is one of those times!

Fame and Glory

has improved from being a slightly weak physical and mental 3yo to a 4yo who is still developing. His Coronation Cup victory went exactly as expected and even on softer ground,Sariska wont saunter past him like she did Midday,this fellow is a proper Arc horse this year,not the boy who turned up in last years race! Obviously

Workforce

is going to trouble him as he already looks like a 4yo! No doubt you have to stay loyal to your "Mastercraftsman with wings",particularly if he gets his soft ground! 15"s on the machine if your tempted!! :wink:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I’m with andyod 100%. Workforce was stuffed in the Dante, and he wasn’t stuffed by a back number, "slipped bit" or not.

Ballydoyle to have a UK / Ireland 3yo Group 1 winner by season end – 1/50.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’m with andyod 100%. Workforce was stuffed in the Dante, and he wasn’t stuffed by a back number, "slipped bit" or not.

Yeh Peruvian,Workforce was stuffed alright,stuffed full of condition that needed the run! Watch his Goodwood maiden win and compare with the Dante and Derby!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Fist,you are one of the contributors to this forum who"s opinion i respect,i like the way you express yourself,always confident and thats number 1 priority for any would be gambler! Unfortunately,just now and again you come out with the biggest load of B******s and this is one of those times!

Fame and Glory

has improved from being a slightly weak physical and mental 3yo to a 4yo who is still developing. His Coronation Cup victory went exactly as expected and even on softer ground,Sariska wont saunter past him like she did Midday,this fellow is a proper Arc horse this year,not the boy who turned up in last years race! Obviously

Workforce

is going to trouble him as he already looks like a 4yo! No doubt you have to stay loyal to your "Mastercraftsman with wings",particularly if he gets his soft ground! 15"s on the machine if your tempted!! :wink:

Mate how can you say he’s improved? Sometimes you just don’t think :P He won 2 races against a non stayer which were so poor in quality he should have been 1/6…….the fact he wasn’t points to the fact the bookies regard him as beatable even in a poor race.

Sarisaka has apparanty grown so much during the break she is more size than muscle. Take note MB said she didn’t quite get home in the race and it doesn’t takke a genius to work out why……if she is at all like normal fill you would expect her to improve over the summer.

Whether she does or not is not the point. The point is MB feels she is no where near her best…Youmzain was very close up like he always is in these races but he only wins once in a blue moon no matter whats in front of him.

So pray tell my friend what has Fame and Glory beat that makes you think he’s gone from a good horse to the possible new champion of Europe?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

So pray tell my friend what has Fame and Glory beat that makes you think he’s gone from a good horse to the possible new champion of Europe?

Fist,

Fame and Glory

did more than enough as a 3yo for me to mark him down as a worthy Arc Challenger,i believe his downfall last year was the fact he wasn"t ready to run for a full season and his form deteriorated because of it.Both his Derby runs were top class,both to the eye and to the clock,i am a great believer if a horse can do something once under a certain set of circumstances,he can do it again,what i like about him is his versatility both with trip and ground preferences,he is the sort of horse who will beat whatevers put in front of him without being flashy! I may just favour

Workforce

for the Arc,but he will certainly know he"s been in a race when Fame and Glory winds it up!

Sariska

is a reliable yardstick and she was as fit as she could be for a Group 1 race on ground less than ideal! Admitted should the ground come up heavy on Arc day and she wins! She really is a beauty,you know me Fist,i will have the nescessary bases covered! Sariska at 28"s for one! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’d far rather have the 21s on offer for her to win the Eclipse personally. Pretty sure that’ll be her next stop en route to the Yorkshire Oaks or maybe even the Juddmonte.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I’d far rather have the 21s on offer for her to win the Eclipse personally. Pretty sure that’ll be her next stop en route to the Yorkshire Oaks or maybe even the Juddmonte.

Memories of

Pebbles

eh Zarkava?

Viewing 17 posts - 579 through 595 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.