The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Interesting just looking back at the past few runnings.

O’Brien’s been responsible for the runner-up in 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2010, and could easily have been in 2006 as well given an inch or so.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I also don’t agree for one second that they messed up by sending him to France. Although Galileo has produced a lot of stayers (1-2-3 in the Leger for example), he’s not a stallion who produces staying types on a regular basis. He needs to be bred with a staying dam to get a proper middle-distance type. He gets much speedier types that Montjeu for example (Rip Van Winkle, Nightime, Lush Lashes, etc) and stamina isn’t guaranteed when you send a mare to him.

Zarkava,

Why not send him to the Guineas then if he doesn’t stay. The fact of the matter was that Cape Blanco was aimed at the Derby but the fact that SNA was pulled and Ballydoyle got carried away with Jan Vermeer beating plodders at the Curragh, he was sent to France.

JohnJ

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Cape Blanco will do well to win in France today, imo. Should he ever cross swords with Workforce anytime soon, he won’t see which way the Stoute colt goes.

I was very impressed with Workforce. He looks one serious racehorse.

Why is it that all thoughts immediately turn to the Arc ? I’d go Irish Derby ( he’d walk that ), then King George ( he’d saunter home in that ) and then I’d rest him for the Arc.

Simples ( as they say :lol: ) !

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You wouldn’t accept that they probably see Jan Vermeer as a better horse than Capo Blanco, then JJ?
    Coolmore hardly have a history of running their 2nd strings in the Derby and sending their better horse to France, now do they?

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Hey Reet,

Well no I don’t, and to be honest it’s not the first time they have got it wrong with knowing their horses, e.g. Hawk Wing/Rock of Gibraltor, Hawk Wing/High Chapparal, Duke of Marmalade/Dylan Thomas, At First Sight, I could go on. IMO, Cape Blanco has the most impressive three year old form of the Ballydoyle horses, he should have taken his chance at Epsom and not Jan Vermeer.

I do think Workforce was an excellent winner, but I am sure that you and others would have loved to have seen the winner of the Dante and runner up re-oppose yesterday.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 403

What totally amazes me is Timeform rating his win higher than Sea The Stars. The best since Generous they are saying.. :shock:

The time may have been very fast …a course record I think? but many course records are held by handicappers and by the end of the season I doubt if this horse will prove anywhere near as good as Sea the Stars was.

Sea the Stars won the Derby with a massive ++ beside his name. Obviously he was confirmed as a great as soon as he passed the post at Epsom but I think he went into the realm of the 140 club when he won the Eclipse and confirmed that view at Leopardstown. On form Generous was a better Derby winner and Peintre Celebre was a better Arc winner but overall STS’s form is superior to both.

• Total Posts 4293

There was actually an informative Turf Trivia on the Morning Line yesterday.

What made last year’s Derby unique for the first time in 39 years (ie since Nijinsky’s) was that there were no British-trained horses in the first three.

You should normally be able to get a good run for your money if you select the right British-trained horse.

This Ballydoyle obsession that certain people have here and elsewhere gets right up my nose. I don’t understand this devotion to a single stable and disregard of all others.

Ballydoyle may well farm the Irish Derby again, but that doesn’t matter, as THE IRISH DERBY IS AN UNIMPORTANT RACE.

It was briefly important when the winners of the Derby and the Prix du Jockey-Club met there, but those days are gone.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"RedRiot" wrote: The only chance Sariska has of beating Fame And Glory again is at 10f or the ground came up a bog, Fame And Glory played with her at Epsom.

Sariska was cantering all over Fame And Glory 2f out in the Coronation. To me it looked like she wasn’t able to go through with her challenge on the ground. Fame And Glory wasn’t for passing, a typically tough performance from an APOB horse. However, he was allowed to dominate this race, that won’t happen in the Arc. The slingshot maneouvre probably won’t be possible depending on amount of runners, draw etc. On Gd-Sft ground I’d much rather have Sariska at 16/1 than Fame And Glory at 6/1. Don’t get me wrong, Fame And Glory is fully entitled to be near the head of the market, but I wouldn’t rule out Sariska reversing the result at all. Quite the opposite, I think he might struggle to uphold the form. She’s a top class filly.

Sorry, forgot this was the Derby thread, with all the talk about the Arc :oops: ah well!

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Ballydoyle may well farm the Irish Derby again, but that doesn’t matter, as THE IRISH DERBY IS AN UNIMPORTANT RACE.

Might be slightly important if Workforce turns up.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 4293

:D

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I think you have a point Gerald, wouldn’t say it’s totally unimportant, however, the Champion Stakes is the Group 1 I look forward to most over here.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 4293

Damn, why is it that every time I write a post to start a fight, no one takes me up! :wink:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Cape Blanco backers can probally sleep a bit easier tonight, he wouldn’t have got within 15 lengths of Workforce on todays showing.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

That, Gerald, is because we think that you’re a just a pussy cat, although can’t for the life of me think why that should be……..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Workforce was undoubtedly the best horse on the day but, in what was an appallingly run (and generally shambolic) race, he owes his margin of victory to the foresight of the brilliant Ryan Moore.

Moore appeared to be the only jockey concerned that At First Sight wasn’t coming back to the field as quickly as he might and took the decision to go after the leader sooner than he would have done otherwise. The move proved crucial, for although he was in a different league to the runner-up, he’d opened up an immediate gap of 6-7 lengths on eventual third Rewilding that was never likely to be eroded.

Part of me thinks Ballydoyle almost pulled off one of the greatest tactical rides of all time. All bar two jockeys seemed to position themselves with a view to covering Jan Vermeer and Midas Touch in the belief that the race was being set up for one of them, but their naivety gave license to Heffernan to slip the field and establish what was a hellishly unlikely lead.

Whatever their intentions though, Rewilding is the horse I’ll be most interested in next time. Workforce didn’t drop him relative to their positions when making their respective moves and Dettori’s mount looked far unhappier on the track. His run was rather remeniscent of Rule Of Law who, but for not handling the undulations of Epsom, would surely have nailed North Light in 2004.

Workforce was a deserving victor, but I have a feeling that time will prove him to be less able than he appeared yesterday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Workforce was a deserving victor, but I have a feeling that time will prove him to be less able than he appeared yesterday.

Less able eh? Personally i think all things considered,he will prove more able when he gets his ideal conditions,for such a lightly raced beast of a horse it makes his record breaking effort all the more impressive! No one expected a performance like that!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I just wonder how much the race will take its toll on him.

Viewing 17 posts - 562 through 578 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.