The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

So where is Elusive Pimpernel??

It’s 4th favourite and not declared!!

• Total Posts 4293

Aah,

They seek him here, they seek him there . . .

If a horse isn’t entered as a yearling, then the next entry stage isn’t until the April as a 3yo.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Hi Gerald

Thanks for that information, you learn something every day. I thought John might have blundered. I did ask Sportingbet and they are looking into it!

Elusive an interesting big horse and John has trained 2 Derby winners.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Dunlop’s said on several occasions that he doesn’t think Elusive Pimpernel will get much further than a mile and his pedigree supports that.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Hi

Elusive Pimpernel by:

Elusive Quality (USA) – Cara Fantasy (IRE) (Sadler’s Wells (USA))

Elusive Quality is some horse

Elusive Quality (foaled 1993 in Kentucky) is a thoroughbred racehorse who holds the world record for one mile on turf, 1 minute 31.6 seconds, set in the 1998 Poker Handicap.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/elusive+quality

I think John is pulling some legs. He trained it’s mum. She won over mile and half and look at it’s dad. This should easily get mile and half. Sir Ivor did and so did Northern Dancer. That Secretariat was not a bad horse either!

Secretariat (March 30, 1970 – October 4, 1989) was an American Thoroughbred racehorse, who in 1973 became the first U.S. Triple Crown champion in twenty-five years, setting new race records in two of the three events in the Series—the Kentucky Derby (1:59 2/5), and the Belmont Stakes (2:24)—records that still stand today.

The Belmont is over 1.5 miles.

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Elusive Pimpernel

It gets better

Mum won over a mile and a half (held up, headway to lead over 2f out, ridden and headed over 1f out, rallied to lead again inside final furlong, ran on) and she has Sadlers Wells and Troy in her blood. Won’t get the Derby distance – nonsense. Will it come down the hill? Maybe.

:wink: :wink:

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Hi Gerald,

Does that mean EL will have to be supplemented?

The older you get the more you learn!

I’ve just notice that St Nicholas Abbey isn’t amongst the 75 entered either 31-3-10.

• Total Posts 629

Hi Fry –

This horse that excites you…

His fathers record over the mile is nothing special…

Have a look and compare times & weights:

POKER HANDICAP
    1m Firm

1 Elusive Quality (USA) 9/4F 5

2 Za-Im-Gb (USA) 11/1 4 8-2 Unknown –

9 ran TIME

CANADIAN TURF STAKES (GRADE 3)
    (4yo+) 1m Firm

« 1 Courageous Cat (USA) 9/10F 4

« 2 5 hd Cherokee Artist (USA) 26/1 5 8-8 b H Graham Motion

9 ran TIME

Don’t see why it won’t get the derby distance – but whether he is first past the post…well…

• Total Posts 4293

Hi Fryern, only just read your question.

The initial entry for the Derby is when the horses are yearlings. If a horse isn’t entered then, I think there are two supplementary entry stages. I think there is one in April sometime, and a final one at the 5 day stage. It costs more to enter later.

Khalid Abdullah has a policy of not originally mass entering horses, but instead supplementing later. Also, Godolphin purchased some horses as 2yos, such as Al Zir that were USA-based, so these would have to be supplemented as well, as it wasn’t originally considered by the owner at the time that the horse would be running on this continent!

St Nicholas Abbey is definitely entered. The figure of 75 entries that you mention is interesting, as that is currently the number of entries in the Grand National . . . .

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Dunlop’s said on several occasions that he doesn’t think Elusive Pimpernel will get much further than a mile and his pedigree supports that.

Not in my mind,this fellow has 11/2m written all over him!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Khalid Abdullah has a policy of not originally mass entering horses, but instead supplementing later.

Workforce fits the bill Gerald! :wink:

• Total Posts 4293

My brain is a bit addled, but I thought I came across someone tipping Elusive Pimpernel for the Derby today. I thought it was on the atr site, but I can’t find it.

edit:
    sportinglife instead.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … 11008.html

• Total Posts 1511

I wonder will we ever see Clearwater Bay make it to the track.

He has the Genes to be a very good Group Horse…..oh well :roll:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Can’t see any horse beating ST Nicholas Abbey At Epsom. it is his destiny to win in the stars it is :D

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Elusive Pimpernel

Not just me that he excites. Thanks for the comments above and especially re supplements.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news … 11008.html

No I didn’t write it! :D :D

He is a big horse so it will be interesting to see how much muscle he’s put on.

• Total Posts 1511

Passion for Gold has no chance at Epsom…the horse is huge huge 2yr old. I can see him being all over the place coming down the famous hill and corner. I for one can’t see him enjoying that track.

However Irish Derby on Good ground he could really be hard to beat….much suitable track for a big horse like him. France aswell could be a option….Epsom really cant be his course. He was a monsterous 2yr old. Looked like a jumper

Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Now I see that for the Derby William Hill now go 7/4 SNA and Paddypower 5/2.

Are the betting public that stupid it must be 5-1 that he might not turn up! :D

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.