The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 426 through 442 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    Fryern
    • Total Posts 175

Big Bucks

I initially posted (as a joke) Ted Who???

I then took a look….liked what I saw

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Ra … 22,00.html

Got to hand it to the horse he don’t give up…

This is some late news:-

Trainer Mark Tompkins is hoping there will be plenty of pace on for his Chester Vase winner Ted Spread in the Investec Derby.

"He’s won his trial so you’ve got to go there. He’s always shown me he’s a nice horse,".

"He’s been fine and has sharpened up since Chester. Darryll (Holland) gave him a great ride and it taught him a lot. He’s quite a big horse and is very relaxed. It did him a bit of good.

"I hope there will be some pace. Maybe one of Aidan’s will lead and Bullet Train might go on as well, but the quicker they go the better it will suit him. He’ll definitely stay.

"We need more rain. I hope Mr (Andrew) Cooper, the clerk of the course, will put plenty of water on and I’m sure it will be brilliant ground for everybody."

Michael Hills, who will replace the injured Holland on Saturday, admitted being pleasantly surprised when he sat on Ted Spread for the first time.

"I rode him work on Friday. Basically, it was a routine piece of work for him to get a feel of me and me to get a feel of him," he said.

"I was actually surprised how much speed he had. I had spoken to Darryll and he said to me that he really wakes up on the track and he will show quite a bit of speed, which is really handy for the first part of the race to get the position you ideally want.

Won’t be lapped – might just win!

:D :D

• Total Posts 1046

Fella, I’ll be stunned and need to sit down if he’s anywhere near the first 5. gl

• Total Posts 629

Fry – I love that – "won’t be lapped!" – For obvious reasons…

I really do…big Lol! :lol:

Have looked at the stars and – you might be right – we are in a funny phase…full of surprises!

Best of :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

History has shown us that Ballydoyle hypes up their horses – Galileo, Hawk Wing, High Chaparral, Yeats, Gypsy King, Horatio Nelson, Rip Van Winkle. Every single one has been hyped up. The only horse I can remember getting close to winning the Derby for them without being hyped up is Dylan Thomas. Without doubt they had no clue what they had IMO.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Fella, I’ll be stunned and need to sit down if he’s anywhere near the first 5. gl

Why’s that Big Buck’s?

• Total Posts 1046

Just imo he needs to find a stone to place. So working around that. His trainer has all but said he’ll be amazed if he places unless it rains and turns up soft, which it won’t, hinting that only because he scraped home in a trial is he running.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I’m not seeing it BB. This horse has been running over a mile or less exclusively, so he hasn’t run in a recognised Derby Trial.

Last run was a very good staying-on fourth in the French Guineas, which looked like a strong renewal. Totally unexposed over twelve furlongs and pedigree/jockey bookings suggest Buzzword could stay it (related to Lush Lashes, Saumarez).

If he was a Ballydoyle horse, he’d be among the market leaders. My only worry is that Buzzword was so aggressively campaigned at two, running eight races at most of the big gigs. I’m inclined to punt a little each-way nonetheless – and recognise that Jan Vermeer is the most likely winner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

his trainer not noted for throwing a handful of darts at the board and hoping one sticks

Ironic isn’t it, that the former maestro of Ballydoyle Vincent O Brien said something like ‘If you think you’ve got four derby possibles you’ve got none at all’, but the current master of the universe seems to think different? Times change I suppose.

Indicating that if a stable had 4 horses of seemingly equal merit, it was highly unlikely any of them would be outstanding enough to win a Derby.
    Certainly don’t recall him having more than a couple of runners each year, and as Lester rode most of his winners, it seems MVOB invariably knew the best of them.

• Total Posts 1046

Why’s that Big Buck’s?

I’m talking about Ted Spread, the horse i was in conversation about with fryern, fella was meant to be to him, sorry for the confusion!! Buzzword is a pacemaker for rewilding tho!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

After being on Cape Blanco for what feels like a year, I now have to admit defeat. Frankie takes it on REWILDING.

• Total Posts 4293

Pacemaker supplemented?

Also, if it was the pacemaker, it would have the best jockey on, wouldn’t it? Godolphin wouldn’t want to mess up the pacemaking like Ballydoyle always do.

• Total Posts 1046

The stable jockey is on him – Ajtebi, responsible for setting up his senior colleague for the win, hence fallon riding al zir

• Total Posts 4293

I’ve just greened up the race, as I was curious whether the surplus would appear in my account straightaway. It didn’t. Presumably, those who backed St Nicholas Abbey last Summer greened up the race over the Winter.

£18.50[/color:5nd7zvt1] Jan Vermeer
    £71.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Workforce
    £71.27[/color:5nd7zvt1] Bullet Train
    £22.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Midas Touch
    £30.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Rewilding
    £73.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Azmeel
    £6.92[/color:5nd7zvt1] Cape Blanco
    £35.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Coordinated Cut
    £34.94[/color:5nd7zvt1] Al Zir
    £13.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Ted Spread
    £65.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Hot Prospect
    £35.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] Buzzword
    £1,380.70[/color:5nd7zvt1] Bright Horizon
    £385.00[/color:5nd7zvt1] At First Sight

Got an £8 loss in the place market though.

Made a hash of it, as my £2 on Bright Horizon consists of £1.01 @ 710, £0.30 @ 750, £0.53 @ 800 and £0.16 @ 810, so I could have saved £1.84 by placing it at 810 instead of 710.

• Total Posts 4293

Gosh, BB. I didn’t think my post was worthy of a reply, and you’ve given a serious one!

• Total Posts 4293

My £3.81 @ 32 on Cape Blanco seems to have put the bots into motion, so I ungreened by laying back £2 @ 19.

• Total Posts 4293

Cape Blanco now into 9. :shock: :lol: :oops:

• Total Posts 4293

Make that 8. I’ve laid a bit more back.

Viewing 17 posts - 426 through 442 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.