The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 4293

Hi people, this doesn’t interfere with my betting – I just want to know what is going on.

Regarding Workforce being virtually confirmed for the Derby. The RP story refers to him running in addition to Bullet Train, but I haven’t come across any confirmation about Bullet Train. Has there been any, or in the end didn’t they bother because he came out of his race okay and it was commonsense to run him?

• Total Posts 1511

Bullet Train is shorter than Workforce on the machine.

Must mean that he runs. Press Release maybe later on in the week

• Total Posts 1511

If Jan Vermeer runs

What Price with say Seamie or Colm riding.

3/1 for me would look big

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh dear, Jan Vermeer not going to the Derby :D .

Us Midas Touch backers and most importantly Aiden knows who the real horse is at home, I bet Midas Touch is in his box now with lovely sunshine eating his hay nice and content with life, smelling of grass and giving all the ladies the eye as he prepares to run the massive race in the Derby. beautiful horse this, how many horses canter 1m4f in G1’s? i’d rather see a horse of the bridle and staying on strongly than a 1m2f canter who knows how much he had in the tank.

Fallon rides Midas Touch and we’re all in heaven.

• Total Posts 1046

Pardon? :shock:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Oh dear, Jan Vermeer not going to the Derby :D

Betfair still quote him at 6/1 Mr Cleverdick.i mean "W",now either you are sleeping in the box between Midas Touch and Jan Vermeer and are very well informed or as i suspect you are coming out with one of your little "Provokers"! :roll:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Oh dear, Jan Vermeer not going to the Derby :D

now either you are sleeping in the box between Midas Touch and Jan Vermeer and are very well informed

I wish!

I am not provoking, its all tongue in cheek as you like too say – I don’t mind nailing my colours to the mast and you can all give me some when Midas Touch loses right, im just very opinionative.

Hope Jan Vermeer runs though the better the field Midas Touch beats the more his stud fee increases.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Is it me, or does Mr O’Brien seem to reek of desperation here? Seems like he is so desperate to win the Derby with St Nic, that he is risking not winning it at all.

If Jan Vermeer or Cape Blanco doesn’t win, I for one will be on the Abdulla horses.

• Total Posts 629

Mordin On ‘Jan’:

JAN VERMEER CAN GO FASTER

JAN VERMEER (36) didn’t have to fully exert himself to win the Gallinule Stakes. Even when I adjust my speed ratings to take account of the modest early pace and near sprint finish I can only give him a borderline Listed class rating for the effort.

However the smooth way Jan Vermeer glided past a front runner that had been allowed an uncontested lead was impressive. He clocked just 34.8 seconds for the last three furlongs and it looked like he could have run a fair bit faster.

Jan Vermeer is a good-bodied, classy looking sort that is built for a mile and a half. He has already won a Group 1 from a group of horses that have not let the form down at all. He could easily be good enough to win the Derby. And I’d prefer his prospects in that race rather than the Prix du Jockey Club. The longer distance would help him and in the French race he’d be up against the best crop of Gallic three year olds we’ve seen in years.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1085

I have just been looking at the last 18 years of results for the Epsom Derby, to work out the race par which came out at

Complete list:
    [code:135kitpf]http://tinyurl.com/3ygfkzf[/code:135kitpf]

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I have just been looking at the last 18 years of results for the Epsom Derby, to work out the race par which came out at

Complete list:
    [code:qoo0ikjp]http://tinyurl.com/3ygfkzf[/code:qoo0ikjp]

Great work Brother, we need more hard working forumites like this!.

Quotes from Henry Cecil on SNA and JV, not very inspiring if you’re a backer of the later.

Assessing the potential opposition, Cecil went on: "St Nicholas Abbey obviously works very well and we will have to see about him. If Jan Vermeer runs you would have to respect him as he was impressive at the weekend, but probably didn’t beat a lot.

• Total Posts 1217

Apologies Wallace, shame on you rich1985.

JohnJ

???

I’m not too sure what you mean by this, JohnJ…I thought the initial "correct me if I’m wrong" tag would suggest that all I’ve heard is that Epsom does not favour big horses, which is echoed on the Sporting Life Course Information section which may or may not be true. It’s probably more of a matter of interpretation rather than hard fact, akin to big horses not suiting courses like Goodwood or Chepstow either, for example.

• Total Posts 4293

I used the big horse excuse as a reason to oppose Sariska in the Oaks last year . . .

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

Rich,

I was kinda joking, you are correct that Epsom doesn’t suit big horses, but I was making the point that once a horse is well balanced it should handle the course.

JohnJ

• Total Posts 1217

Ok no problem! I suppose the onus is on the jockey to ensure the horse is adequately balanced and in a suitable rhythm in order to handle the course; both big and smaller horses.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

How can Ballydoyle overlook the best Epsom jockey in the world right now?Kieren Fallon must ride whichever Johnny does not ride. The lads are punters at heart so they know you go with the best to get the best result.You don’t leave gambling to chance.Ever.Fallon must ride JanVermeer if Johnny picks SNA,it must be so.Like the scorpion must sting, Fallon must ride your Derby horse.Michael Tabor won’t leave Fallon sitting in the stand.It don’t make sense.

• Total Posts 1511

Fallon is too old and simply not good enough anymore for him to jock off other jockeys but i am sure Tabor may see it a different way.

The real news is the Derby Market

Midas Touch out to 13 from 9
    Cape Blanco in from 28 into 10
    St Nicholas 3-3.55
    Jan Vermeer 7-6 and falling

What a strange Horse this Cape Blanco is

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.