The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Derby 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Derby 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 612 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Midas Touch for me, got 16s monday morning totally unaware of what was to follow.

Wont be trading out either, horse will win.

You will need the Midas touch for that to win! Reminds me a lot of Gypsy King!

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

For me easily the best trial by Jan Vermeer. Well balanced, acts on extremes of ground and I would have him as favourite. He is only 10/1 surely for no other reason than he is not considered a certain runner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Beat nothing and carrying a penalty for a reason, done what you would expect at G1 winner to do against a bunch of 90 rated handicappers., good luck if you’re on at 6-1 think you will need it.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Mr.Wilson" wrote: Beat nothing and carrying a penalty for a reason, done what you would expect at G1 winner to do against a bunch of 90 rated handicappers., good luck if you’re on at 6-1 think you will need it.

:lol: He beat alot more than your Midas Touch Mr.W!

Oh, and he beat him twice last year, how can you fancy Midas Touch without fancying Jan Vermeer?!

How can you fancy Midas Touch?! :twisted:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

The worry is about the horse running at Epsom rather than Chantilly. He is different league to Midas Touch.

• Total Posts 1511

Oh Jan Vermeer looked like a freak Today. Even if he was beating 102 rated animals on the snaff he looked a absolute machine.

I think they should keep him in the Derby and St Nicholas the 2 Montjeu’s. Keep the Galileo’s Apart…maybe Midas Touch for the French Derby and Cape Blanco somewhere else. One of those 2 Montjeu’s will win as they are in a different league so to speak. Really excited by that performance and may take a look at ANTEPOST Arc Market and see can a scapre a few bits and bobs of big prices.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7872

Jan Vermeer was good today very impressive they should run him in the french derby.And Cape Blanco can go in Irish derby.Midas Touch SNA and one more at Epsom.Has nothing to do with me having backed SNA at 25/1 in August :D

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I think that Cape Blanco is better than Midas Touch. His finish in the Dante was so much more impressive than Midas Touch’s finish at Leopardstown.However the Montjues may not have the speed for France.What a difficult decision between two sires who are known for stamina yet have each gotten Derby winners.As someone once said If you have the stamina to win the Derby you are probably not quick enough to do so.

• Total Posts 99

Beat nothing and carrying a penalty for a reason, done what you would expect at G1 winner to do against a bunch of 90 rated handicappers., good luck if you’re on at 6-1 think you will need it.

At a time when the Ballydoyle horses have needed their first runs so badly and he was giving away 7lbs to his rivals, he just canters all over them like they weren’t even there and I’ll need good luck??!!

People haven’t really realized just how good that win was under the circumstances, giving away 7lbs and wins so easily and will come on a ton for the run having had foot problems.

• Total Posts 1511

If you were to compare the 2 Montjeu’s.

Jan Vermeer is by far and away the most impressive build of a horse i have ever seen. He is built like a brick House and looks a Monster compared to rather small sized St Nicholas.

Couldn’t have been more impressed imo

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

This ‘O Brien horses needing the run’ thing is extremely overrated.

Jan Vermeer isnt the only Classic generation horse to win first time out this season. Midas Touch did it and so did Cape Blanco.

Lets keep our feet on the ground here for two reasons…
    1) That was over 1m2f against a poor field
    2) A couple of weeks ago Aidan O Brien stated JV would go for the French Derby with a run. That may not be the case now but I still favour him sending Jan Vermeer for the French Derby.

The one question you need to ask is will Aidan O Brien send Jan Vermeer to be the biggest threat to a horse he has been talking up for the last 10 months as one of the best horses he’s ever had.

He’s French Derby bound lads. If he turns up at Epsom he has a massive chance but thats unlikely to happen

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Jan Vermeer isnt the only Classic generation horse to win first time out this season. Midas Touch did it and so did Cape Blanco.

2) A couple of weeks ago Aidan O Brien stated JV would go for the French Derby with a run. That may not be the case now but I still favour him sending Jan Vermeer for the French Derby.

The one question you need to ask is will Aidan O Brien send Jan Vermeer to be the biggest threat to a horse he has been talking up for the last 10 months as one of the best horses he’s ever had.

He’s French Derby bound lads. If he turns up at Epsom he has a massive chance but thats unlikely to happen

I have already made the point about the possibility of him not turning up at Epsom twice although I confined myself to a couple of sentences because unlike yourself I don’t the know the answer.

If I was trying to the win the Epsom Derby I would want the best horse to represent me. Irrespective of what may been said in the past right now that horse could well be Jan Vermeer. I appreciate that might be a nasty shock to everyone with a St Nicholas Abbey ante-post bet but that as they say is racing. Personally, I would only send Jan Vermeer to Chantilly if there was a concern about the trip.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I don’t want to seem to contradict you HWTH but if I recall correctly and I coud be mistaken Aidan said
    Janvermeer will go to France with a run or to Epsom without a run and I am still trying to figure out the logic of it i.e. why he needed a run before France but not before Epsom.Since he has gotten his run I suppose he goes to France.Now as I said I could be wrong.At least he is down to four good horses for the season as 3yo’s.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I have already made the point about the possibility of him not turning up at Epsom twice although I confined myself to a couple of sentences because unlike yourself I don’t the know the answer.

If I was trying to the win the Epsom Derby I would want the best horse to represent me. Irrespective of what may been said in the past right now that horse could well be Jan Vermeer. I appreciate that might be a nasty shock to everyone with a St Nicholas Abbey ante-post bet but that as they say is racing. Personally, I would only send Jan Vermeer to Chantilly if there was a concern about the trip.

Quite what the amount of sentances in a post has to do with the price of eggs I don’t know?

You’re right, on form alone Jan Vermeer does look the better horse this season

but

O’Brien and Murtagh are both ridiculously open in just how good they think St Nicholas Abbey is. Cape Blanco won very well against some decent sorts in the Derby (probably better types than JV beat today) but they were still adamant SNA was better than CB straight after the Dante.

It’ll be interesting what AOB announces as his squad next Monday but the Champion 2yo becoming the Derby winner and building on that in his 3yo career would mean a lot more to Coolmore at stud than a Champion 2yo going down to a ‘probably’ better Coolmore sort.

I don’t know what the answer is, I have my own opinion about it though and I can’t see Coolmore slitting their own throats on Derby day with a potential breeding windfall in sight.

• Total Posts 1046

^in short

AGREED

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

I still believe that Cape Blanco is the best of the O’Brien’s Epsom horses, despite what Ballydoyle say. You can only judge what you see, and I cannot see SNA being the superstar he was touted to be. Cape Blanco beat some decent horses at York and he is my selection for the Derby.

JohnJ

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Montjeu in England and Galileo in France.They always let the best horse win; cannot afford to do otherwise.Reputation very important in this business.Credentials of horse must be spotless. Public arena you know.Otherwise you become a laughing stock.

Viewing 17 posts - 171 through 187 (of 612 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.