The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

England to Ireland ferries

Home Forums Lounge England to Ireland ferries

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Luis Martin
    • Total Posts 15

I might be interesting in bringing my car from Portsmouth to Dublin. I am not very keen to travel to France, so I am thinking about driving from Portsmouth to either Swansea ( then drive from Cork to Dublin ) or to Holyhead ( through Southampton, Bristol and Shrewsbury and therefore avoiding Birmingham ) .Anybody could give me any advise about what is the best option .<br>Thanks in advance .

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

It’s at least a 3 hour drive from Cork to Dublin. Don’t know if this will impact on your decision.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Luis, with due deference and accepting that you’re not from around these parts but I have to inform you that, neither Swansea or Holyhead are in England.:)

Colin

(Edited by seabird at 10:03 am on Nov. 4, 2005)

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Cork doesnt come in to the equation. Your best bet, and probabley quickest route from Portsmouth is to drive to Pembroke or Fishguard (depending which is quicker to get to, and what roads are better) and sailing to Rosslare in Wexford. The road from Rosslare to Dublin is very good, with a new stretch of bypass just opened. The drive to Dublin will take less than 90 mins.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Not sure if this helps you Luis but if you drive to Liverpool you can get a ferry direct to Dun Laoghaire or Dublin itself relatively cheap.

Luis Martin
    • Total Posts 15

Thanks Colin.I must say my topic title was confusing and I apologise to Welsh people .Offence not intended .

Thanks for the info guys .<br>Anybody knows how far Pembroke is from Portsmouth and how far is Liverpool from Portsmouth ?<br>If anybody knows a web page where I can find distance between British cities would be hightly appreciated as well .<br>

(Edited by Luis Martin at 1:41 pm on Nov. 4, 2005)

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Hi Luis. Don’t mind Colin. Welsh people are practically English anyway, never having fought for their own Parliment and all that!:biggrin: ;)

The website http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/ has a route planner which gives you directions, distance, and time for all journeys between towns in Ireland, UK (incl Wales), & Europe. It’s pretty good although doesn’t take traffic possibilities into account.

The site said that the trip from Sainte Maxime to Saint Tropez would take 15 mins but it took 2 hours due to traffic and this is the norm!:angry:

What part of Dublin are you going to. The trip from Rosslare to South Dublin might take 90 mins but if you are going to the Northside of Dublin, this could add up to 2 hours due to the incredible traffic congestion in Dublin.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I will rise above such provocation, David.:cool:

Colin

PS………my wife says don’t come to Wales, you are a marked man!:angry: :angry: :angry: :o

(Edited by seabird at 7:24 pm on Nov. 4, 2005)

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Don’t know if this helps Luis, but if you drive all the way up to Stranraer then the ferry will take you to Larne, and it’s a well known fact that Larne is considerably more "happening" than Dublin.*

<br>*Some of the information above is not absolutely accurate.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

*some of the information in the above post wasa obviously typed while under the influence of some form of hallucinogenic drug

Purwell
    Participant
    • Total Posts 657

Stranraer to Larne brings back memories of trips to the Ulster Grand Prix. Bob McIntyre; there was a man who could ride a finish! :biggrin: <br>I bet thats got all the chavs thinking! But maybe a few old rockers will know who I mean.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Cheers David ~ and for changing your avatar; there’s only one grumpy old muppet on this forum. :biggrin:

aston
    • Total Posts 168

I noticed there was no smiley face after that statement Rory. Sice when was Larne, or anywhere in the North for that matter, "more happening" than Dublin. Thats just complete B*ll*cks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.