The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Diamond Jubilee Stakes 2018

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot Archive Royal Ascot 2018 Diamond Jubilee Stakes 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 35 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7204

Things might have been worse if they hadn’t been let away. I don’t know if Harry could have got that foot down in closed stalls and I think he might have got worse and flipped over or something if the stalls had remained shut.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Not a one off. Harry tried to do the same thing at York last time out, kicking out in the stalls. Also withdrawn at Goodwood on his intended second career start when getting very upset in stalls and kicking out. For all his excellent record isn’t the most straightforward.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

In hindsight I suppose letting them go was the safest thing. Intelligence Cross kicked his stall back open rather than not actually being put in which was what I thought had happened.

But having watched it back again, oh dear oh dear The Tin Man, James Fanshawe must be tearing his hair out. Grim watching.

The shame is that Merchant Navy will probably go off to stud now, unless they have time to take in the July Cup?

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

I was amazed they let then go when I think Harry was still playing up. I’ll need
    to watch it again, but my first impression is that the starter shouldn’t have let
    them go. Bad luck to Harry supporters.

tbh That was my first impression BigG, but I’ve seen an interview with Harry’s work rider who was also the person to put him in the stalls. He said Kirby shouted “ok” to the starter – Adam apparently did not know Harry still had his leg up. Seems obvious to me but I guess the rug was over that part of the horse’s quarters? :unsure: With a shout from the jockey then the starter wasn’t to know.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12715

Thanks Ginger, that explains a lot. It was just unfortunate, he’s a great horse but he does
    have his own ideas about things. At least he seems sound after the race, that’s the important
    thing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Yes, Harry’s soundness is the main thing. Possible it won’t do his temperament any good though. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear he’s retired. Really valuable stallion prospect and if this is what he’s like now continuing racing runs a high risk of injury and/or even death. imo Retirement may be coming.

Wonder if any bookmakers are going to “do the right thing” (for promotion purposes) and return stakes?
    Come on Bet365, you know you want too.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I backed Harry Angel . I’m not sure he’d have won in any case . He got himself in a right old tizzy .

My feeling is that when it quickly became apparent that the horse had no chance of featuring in the finish , Adam Kirby should have pulled him up , instead of stoking him along and stupidly resorting to the whip .

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7621

Very happy with that result a shame not see MERCHANT NAVY at july cup he a serious horse

As long as Harry Angel he return to form at July cup as not see a 3yo or older horse get near him

Only winners this week were two group one sprints at Ascot that ok i guess

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Well done Daz on the 10’s and the other Navy backers
    I love Harry Angel hope he’s okay, he’s got some personality

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Veterinary Officer reported that a post-race examination of HARRY ANGEL (IRE), revealed the colt to be lame on his left-hind leg.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 1332

Thought it was a very dis-satisfying race in the end with what happened to Harry and the rides some got.

Tin Man got a bad ride more than him being unlucky IMO, but then that’s no surprise with TQ in the plate.

MN May be getting lauded by Moore and AOB (he is away to stud remember) but he’s beat a horse that won 1.5L from Kachy over 6F who most would say is a 5F hoss.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Merchant Navy (Coolmore team tactics with Intelligence Cross and Spirit Of Valor will be to try and get Harry going too fast – for the benefit of Merchant Navy). The Tin Man is always held up for a late run… And two outsiders likely to be right out the back early – the frenchman City Light and at a massive price Sir Dancealot. Wouldn’t put anyone off boxing those four in forecasts, as if they do go too quick they’re likely to be involved in the finish. Redkirk is sometimes held up, sometimes front runs – so I’ve chosen to leave him out.

Did anyone do those forecasts?
    Merchant Navy won, City Light second and had it not been for luck in running The Tin Man would’ve been in the first three too.

Should’ve followed my own thinking. :wacko:

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 12715

I wish I had done the forecast Ginge, it paid over 50 quid. You you had the race
    pegged from early on, good call sir :good:

Viewing 13 posts - 35 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.