The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Desert Orchid Chase

Home Forums Archive Topics Desert Orchid Chase

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    nore
    • Total Posts 151

Anyone know when this race is on?

Race conditions, advance entries?

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I’m pretty sure it’s on the second day of the King George meet (27th) and is basically a replacement for the Castleford Chase which was suffering from small fields (personally I can’t see moving it to Kempton making a blind bit of difference).<br>Wetherby still has a Castleford Chase although that will be a hcap rather than a conditions race.

nore
    • Total Posts 151

cheers, gd

does that mean it’s a grade 1? will the emblem chase still exist at kempton in early 2007?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

It’s a Gr2 over 16f

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Don’t know the full conditions of this year’s renewal, but can post the details of next year’s:

The boiler room internet bucket shop bookie sponsored banded stakes (formerly the Desrt Orchid Chase) [class j] for 3yo+ rated 0-25 1m 2f polytrack, Dec 25th 2007 8am [max field 14]

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Pretty sure that Wetherby were keen to get rid of it rather than it being taken off them.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Correct dj, c-o-c James Sanderson was on RUK a few minutes ago talking about the decision to scrap the G2 event and replace it with a handicap.<br>

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

For the record the original Desert Orchid Chase was run at Wincanton in October but has since been moved to Aintree and re-named the Old Roan Chase (won this year by Kauto Star).

Shame that the Castleford had to go to replace, don’t personally see what’s wrong with 6 or 7 runner fields like it had.  I doubt they’ll be scrapping the Christmas Hurdle or the Feltham which has had similar fields in recent years.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Quote: from Irish Stamp on 2:37 pm on Dec. 20, 2006[br]moved to Aintree and re-named the Old Roan Chase

Anyone know why the name ‘Old Roan’ was chosen?

Horse? pub? resurrected race at Aintree? suburb of Liverpool?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

It’s a suburb of Liverpool Drone, if you follow the main road that the racecourse is on down past the KFC/MacDonalds etc then you reach the big Asda (i think) and that’s Old Roan.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Thanks I S

Name more picturesque than the neighbourhood then.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

"The Toxteth Chase" just didn’t have the same ring to it.<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.