The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

David Nicholson mares hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics David Nicholson mares hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I didn’t realise she was running today so thanks for the nod chaps. I’m happy with my position now in this race and it looks a cracker.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Whiteoak looks to have an outstanding chance to take this again. I have no financial consideration but find it hard to understand any discussion about her going for the Champion Hurdle. Anyone would think she had actually beaten Ashkazar at Wincanton. If she wins the David Nicholson again she could easily be campaigned in the traditional Champion Hurdle trials next season.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Money keeps on coming for Quevega – top priced 9/2 now and been put up at a lot of the Cheltenham Preview evenings.

• Total Posts 1537

I’m gutted i never got on it when we were talking about it Irish stamp. I feel that Whiteoak is the only one that can stop her.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

United looks a big price at 9/2 NRNB with Stan James, pity they won’t lay a bet…

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

Money keeps on coming for Quevega – top priced 9/2 now and been put up at a lot of the Cheltenham Preview evenings.

I am new to the forum , be gental lol ,still think even with all the money for the irish horse Whiteoak will take all the beating 8)

• Total Posts 1537

Whiteoak isn’t running the mares now obviously, so i went for Quevega.

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

yea i just saw they moved whiteoak to the champion ,think its to do with breeding ,stud fees and that cant see it winning that race but its done my bet in this race ,i now cant see passed Quevega !

• Total Posts 638

I am beginning to think that Chomba Womba is being seriously overlooked here, now that Whiteoak has swerved it. Four reasons why 7/1 is too big.

1. She has better form this season than she had last year approaching the race. This term she has been running in some top conditions hurdles agianst the boys.
    2. Although she didn’t get home last year she was ridden aggressively and that knowledge has been learned by connections. ‘Restraint’ the watchword on Tuesday.
    3. Its on the Old Course rather than the New which is a significantly lesser test of stamina.
    4. It doesn’t look as deep a race (though admittedly Quevega is a un undefined quantity)

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Bit of column filler from Williams in today’s Post saying McCain has done the right thing in targeting Whiteoak at the Champion Hurdle – could he possibly have backed something else in the mares only?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I

think

he’s been in the United camp for a while – certainly at least one of the

regulars has been since the turn of the year. She carries my oldest and largest ante-post bet of the whole Festival, too.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

allpress11
    • Total Posts 11

I have a strong opinion on this race. I am convinced Chomba Womba doesn’t quite see the trip out. Last year she was cruising coming down the hill and running to the last she just ran out of gas. I fancy Quevega from the Willie Mullins yard. She ran well behind the very smart Hurricane Fly. United will be under pressure a long way out but will be running on for a place.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Oscar Rebel @ 16-1 (Ladbrokes)

I fancied her chances even when whiteoak was in the field, so with Whiteoaks out of the line up she looks an absolute steal, and is shortening with most firms. Hard to see her failing to place and hard to rule her out of a win. Her form on gd-sft last year was very good and she took a dip in form on heavy early this season (as would be expected), but her form behind catch me recently would suggest that she is going to cheltenham in the form of her life. Both her and Quevega come into the race with RP ratings of 142, which they should both be able to improve on, so whay one is available at 11/4 and the other at 16-1 is beyond me.

Issaquah @ 50-1 (Bet365)

I still dont think we’ve seen the best of her, she was outsped on unsuitably quicker ground than she would have liked next time out behind Serabad, in a race which through up today’s winner dave’s dream. Gd-Sft over this trip could well be what she is crying out for and she could go well.

riverman1
    • Total Posts 34

I like both those picks, Bulwark. Issaquah looks a tough sort and has the potential to run much better in this race than the current big odds suggest.

I like Quevega and she’ll should come to Cheltenham fresher than some given her delayed start to the season. One concern I would have with her though is that she can get a bit buzzy before races. It hasn’t stopped her running extremely well in her races so far, of course, but with the travelling over to Cheltenham and the bigger crowds at the Festival, it makes me a bit wary of following her at a short price. Oscar Rebel has mixed it well with the boys in good company this season and certainly looks a far better prospect than the current 16/1 odds would suggest.

Whiteoak slipped somewhat under the radar to win the race last season against some more fancied runners, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen again this time.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Whiteoak slipped somewhat under the radar to win the race last season against some more fancied runners, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see that happen again this time.

I actually fancied whiteoak last year, she ran a cracking race behind tazbar in the race where Khyber Kim went belly up when very fancied in the supreme novice (which at the time I fancied KK to win), and then smashed her own sex (I’d backed Zahras place that day), come the friday (this race was rescheduled to the friday last year) there was no misssion i was backing Chomba Womba at her price, and thought Whiteoak on what she’s shown had a decent e/w chance, was loving it when she won.

I think the only reason she slipped under the radar with so many was that people were very blinkered towards chomba womba last year, and saw no chance in her being beaten, so didnt bother looking for e/ws to take her on with, I think if they had they would probably have given whiteoak a chance.

Its the same with Issaquah this season in many ways because IMO had she have run her last two races on gd-sft she would be coming here on pretty much the exact same terms as whiteoak last year, and she is one of the stand out mares for me this season.

Oscar Rebel looks like probably the best mare at this distance that Ive seen so far and is just a ridiculous price, very similar to whiteoak on pedigree, and IMO her form behind Catch Me is actually far stronger than Qevega’s form (RPRs only have it 3lbs stronger).

Firstly Oscar Rebels race was a much stronger gallop than quevega’s, on worse ground, which staminawise should be a good prep for chelters, and secondly , a form line through Buachaill On Eirne and Merdeka would suggest that Oscar Rebel is well clear of Quevega.

11/4 for a win Quevega or 16/1 for an e/w Oscar Rebel? Let me decide…

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I’ve had a little dash at 50 on Alan King’s Over Sixty.

She’s still relatively unexposed over hurdles, and has bits and pieces of form with Caroles Legacy and Golan Way. She stayed-on well up the hill behind the latter over 17f at Cheltenham in her second outing over hurdles, and whilst she was somewhat disappointing last time, she showed that she wants a trip.

Can’t say I’m expecting her to win, but I think she can put up a reasonably bold show.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

I’ve backed United and Oscar Rebel each way here. Dont think I can add much to Bulwark’s write ups. United is so consistent. Am worried about Quevega but her price has gone now.

This is the first day I have ever bet in all six races at Cheltenham, fingers crossed.

Ginge

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.