The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

David Nicholson mares hurdle 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics David Nicholson mares hurdle 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1537

I’ve had a tentative look, and still undecided due to a lack of footage. It looks a good line up though, and should be a good race.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

My fancy hasn’t been seen out this season but think Quevega is cracking value at 14’s – worried about the lack of a recent run though she has been entered up.

Won impressively in her first two starts in Ireland and a poor run at the Punchestown Festival sandwiches those and a good third to Grivette and Hurricane Fly in France in June.

• Total Posts 1537

Yes that horse looks decent, with impressive power. Luckily ATR have all Irish racing highlights, so i’ll check them all out. What kind of going is yield ?

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

It’s not "Yield" it’s "Yielding" and, IMO, it’s a sort of in-between UK Gd/Sft and Sft.

• Total Posts 1537

Cheers DB. Do you have an opinion on the race itself yet ?

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

IMHO Whiteoak is now the cert of the festival.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

She will be hard to beat and although I backed her whe she won this last year, I reckon I’ll try to find one to take her on with this time round due to her price not being quite as good.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

Certainly deserves to be favourite and it doesn’t take much winning but United is still the one to beat IMO.
    Her form against Chief Yeoman and Tazbar is standing up to scruitiny and she is one tough mare to beat when on form. She’s certainly as good as anything that ran in the race last year.

• Total Posts 638

The DN Mares hurdle will be run on the Old Course this year as opposed to the New last year when Whiteoak won. Although this may favour a number of the runners, none more so than Donald McCain’s classy mare.
    She has a terrific chance and I think she will win.

• Total Posts 1537

Shabby – what’s the difference between the old and new track, and why is it being moved ?

Ta.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I think the Old Course (5m standard for 2m5f) is a bit more testing in stamina terms than the New Course (standard of 4m46s std for 2m4½f). Also I think there are less hurdles in the last few furlongs than the New Course so that would suit a horse coming from behind.

Incidentally, is the Mares Hurdle going to be run over 2m5f like the Ballymore and the Coral Cup (2 other Hdl races run on Old Course) or will it still be run run over 2m4½f like last year. The RP says the shorter distance but it doesn’t give separate maps anymore for the different days so I can’t be too sure.

White Oak looks unbeatable here IMO and should be a shorter favourite than, say Kauto Star or Kasbah Bliss IMO.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Last year Chomba womba looked unbeatable (think henderson and micky fitz both put her up as the bet of the festival, as did many others) in this and Whiteoak managed to beat her, this year I reckon I’ll have a go on Oscar Rebel.

A similar horse to whiteoak who won at the fairyhouse and punchestown festivals last year and put in a solid performance today on ground which didnt look ideal, after a 3 month layoff, as preparations go, it didnt look bad at all. At 20-1 shes a better price to get placed than Whiteoak is to win, so e/w she would look to be the bet for me.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I had backed her before she ran at the weekend and just hope McCain doesn’t get stars in his eyes and go for the champion. That has held the price a bit bigger than I expected and she’s probably still a backable price.

I’ve had a saver on Quevega as well. Mullins, hopefully, is saving her for a spring campaign.

• Total Posts 638

Shabby – what’s the difference between the old and new track, and why is it being moved ?.

Its been moved from Friday to Tuesday and its Old Course on Tues/Wed and New on Thur/Fri…so its now on the Old Course.

In my view the Old Course is a lesser test of stamina than the New, not sure I agree with davidbrady on this. Although a little longer in distance the Old course is tighter and has lesser straights. Again I think the lack of hurdles in the last 7f means any stamina implications are exposed by the flat out galloping nature of the course.
    The best example was Sea Pigeon who failed to get home in two Champion hurdles on the New Course but then won two when they switched to the Old Course. In fairness, though, they also reduced the distance by 100 yards.

• Total Posts 1537

Cheers for the info David & Shabby. It’s amazing these important things that alot of people won’t know.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Impressed with that – good to see her back to winning ways and Mullins will have left plenty to work on.

• Total Posts 2184

She did that very nicely IS. Bit of cut in the ground at Cheltenham and she’ll make them all go.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.