The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Dandino to run in Japan Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Dandino to run in Japan Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Thrilling news for Elitists:
    http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-ra … 77050/top/

James Given is convinced that the firm going and solid gallop will see Dandino back at his best. It certainly makes more sense than keeping a 3yo colt in top form stuck in his box until next Spring!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Will all members be visiting Japan to see the horse run?

• Total Posts 15

Well this one won’t be there but no doubt there are some die hard members who are at this moment heading off to the Travel Agents.

It’s a very long way to go for a run but the prize money is huge and goes down to 10th place so worth a try and as said better than leaving him standing idle for months.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Apalling decision to send Dandino out there and is an expensive choice too, would it make more sense to train him specifically for the race as a 4 year old next year? he’s a decent unexposed handicapper that ran well in a Group 3 but The Japan Cup? come on now, seriously?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

He’s been

invited

, Mr Wilson, so the Japanese authorities obviously have a higher opinion of him than you do. So does James Given. I know which side I trust!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

It’s not about trust it’s about opinions and I have a right to voice mine like you have a right to stick your tongue up…. I bet you now he won’t come in the top 10.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Apalling decision to send Dandino out there

Apalling eh? You are such a drama Queen! Now dont get the wrong idea that just because i am King and you are Queen there"s any chance of us having relations! :wink: x

sovies friend
    Participant
    • Total Posts 71

Go Danny go go go.dropped back to 1 mile 4 furlongs on his preferred going he’s got to be in with a shout and it makes more sense than sending him to Dubai risking setting him back for the start of next years flat turf season.

James knows what he’s doing & it’s been on the cards since before the St Leger.

I just hope Paul Mulrennan takes the ride as he knows Danny inside out.

£2 million into the prize money fund will be lovely just before my annual dividend.

Good luck & come home safe Danny we’ve not seen the best of you yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Come on, Mr Wilson, there’s no excuse for being so naive. It must surely have dawned on you by now that the Elite Racing Club can do no wrong and as such no-one has the right to express an unduly negative opinion of them.

I happen to agree that it’s a strange race to go for, whether he’s been invited to run or not. Top class handicappers can thrive in the far east, but Dandino has been on the go since April, won’t have long to acclimatise and still might not be anywhere near good enough.

It’ll be a nice few days away for Matthew Budden and the rest of the administrative team though.

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

The Hong Kong Vase was a race Dandino would have had more of a chance in. The HK authorities are even opening up their trials day now.

The Japanese want more International runners. Not sure this is the way to go about it, but the International schedule is packed around this time of year. They did previously allow Scintillo and Halicarnassus to compete. Clearly anything with 4 legs rated above 100 is allowed. I would argue the Japan Cup is by a good distance tougher than either the BC Turf or HK Vase, which is why fewer European horses are targeting the race. Obviously it has a knock-on effect to the race apart from the home runners.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

It’s understandable running in the race, most of the expenses for the horse and staff as well as owners (not all) is paid for by the Japanese and you win a minimum of 100 grand for finishing 8th or better.
    Unfortunately the Japanese horses are very good and I can’t see Dandino being in the shake up, much better value would have been got by accepting the £1,100,000 offered for him prior to The Leger but I suppose different decisions are made with thousands of members to consider.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

It’ll be a nice few days away for Matthew Budden and the rest of the administrative team though.

Spot on – 24,000 people paying for one mans hobby.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Au contraire

spot on, Mr Case: a good business decision not to sell, as Dandino is worth much more to the Club that £1M, in terms of PR and loyalty. He’s captured the public’s imagination more than any Elite horse since Soviet Song, and running in Japan (for which he’s been invited, and for which running costs are paid) will increase his profile further.

"On the go since April" doesn’t amount to much: he had a hard race at Royal Ascot, but has come out of all his races well. He wasn’t slippered in the Leger once a place chance had gone, either.

Armchair

et. al.

, can you not feel how thrilling it is to be emotionally (and financially!) associated with a horse who is good enough to get invited, and set to run in the richest Turf race in the world? There are times when sourness should be reserved for lemons.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Spot on – 24,000 people paying for one mans hobby.

Not sure who you mean. Budden is a salaried minion, not a hobbyist. And the Club’s owner takes a back seat on

all

occasions: not he picking up trophies or strolling around paddock side, even on Soviet Song’s Sussex Stakes day. Hill is a businessman pure and simple, and a canny one, so not a hobbyist either.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

How is it funded Pinza?

If there are 24,000 people paying £185 a year thats £4.4m, I don’t understand how you’ve only got Dandino as a success story this year? were is the rest of the money going?

• Total Posts 15

I personally feel that Elite is run extremely well and gives many many people the opportunity to experience, no matter in how small a way, the buzz of ownership. It’s not all about money actually. If Elite were only about that they would have sold Soviet Song, Penzance, Dandino and several others no doubt, at the first offer.

I for one am happy for the management & trainers of our horses decided where and when our horses run, they know far more than I ever will.

As for funding Tony Hill’s hobby, there would be no Elite if he’d not bought he first horses personally. If it’s his hobby so what, it gives a huge amount of pleasure to a huge number of people, what a great hobby to have!

• Total Posts 15

I think keeping 14 horses in training costs quite a bit, I may be wrong.

Then there are the 10 or so brood mares and all the youngsters that have to be looked after. I dread to think how much the vets bills per year are.

Fee’s, vet bills, farriers, wages, transport this list goes on….I think the money will soon go don’t you!

We’ve had plenty of winners this year too so we are very successful for a small outfit!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.