The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Crap days racing at Newmarket

Home Forums Horse Racing Crap days racing at Newmarket

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

What a hopeless days racing at HQ today. I’ve never been there but the July course seems completely devoid of any atmosphere.

The Cherry Hinton is ruined by poor camera angles and even poorer commentary.

The Falmouth is run at walking pace.

The Lancashire Oaks is slow and won by a bumper horse (and no this is NOT the start of a trend).

The 3yo maiden winner hangs from one side of the course to the other and still wins!

The only highlight was the Godolphin horse in the juvenile maiden.
    Hope it gets better tomorrow, it cant be much worse can it?

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

I’ve attended meetings at both Newmarket courses.

To be honest I prefer the atmosphere at the July course – especially the evening meeting. You don’t really get a true impression on tv.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

To say the July course is "devoid of any atmosphere" is one of the most surprising statements I have ever read on this forum!

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i’ve been to and enjoyed both newmarkets, good courses and good days out imo

Mounty
    • Total Posts 455

How can you say it’s devoid of atmosphere when we had a band belting out the theme from the A-Team and Scooby Doo in between races? (I kid you not)

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4712

The Lancashire Oaks is slow and won by a bumper horse (and no this is NOT the start of a trend).

So if the winner had won say, oooh, I don’t know, say, ummm, a maiden at Catterick previously, would that have been OK?

Rob

Black Sam Bellamy
    • Total Posts 441

They’ve killed the betting ring on the July course. Four rows of books, packed together on the grass facing what was the "second" grandstand/silver ring.

Unless you’re in picks one, two or three in front of the walkthrough (or first on the second line) you’ve got no hope.

But there’s more room for corporates/members thankfully. :shock:

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Get a grip, Cava whatever…I have viisted HQ, the July Meeting, last time in 1986, to say it has does not have an atmosphere is ridiculous, and in them days we couldn’t see the f**king horses’. 8)

One of my "before you die" appointments is definitely The July Festival as it is, and should be called. :)

regards,

doyley

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I have thoroughly enjoyed all my visits to Newmarket, Rowley and July courses, and have also had the pleasure of working at such events. As such I can state quite categorically that devoid of atmosphere HQ certainly is not (sound like Yoda I do).

And I would suspect that Turbo Linn is actually an extremely smart animal, rather than merely ‘a bumper winner’.

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Good point "Lets", but unfortunately, "the well to do’s", will consider it a Bumper.
    However where does he go now?
    The race he won today wasn’t especially packed with talent.

The horse was well tipped up in The Manchester Evening News, but a NH horse winning a HQ race is unbelievable… for the first time I couldn’t possibly think of it’s next task, but quietly the money collected today via prize money and relative betting stakes, [25/1 all week], the "now" is secured….but what a dismal lot that was behind it!! :cry:

regards,

doyley

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

A slight disagrement with your post doyley, you say she’s a NH horse winning at headquaters but imo she’s a flat horse who won 5 NH races because in fairness that’s the only way it can be done, it’s impossible to do it the other way round.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4811

Didn’t mean to upset anyone with my July course comments. As I said I’ve never been there, its just the feeling I get from watching it on tv but I’ll bow to the superior knowledge of those people who have attended.

I really hope the racing will be better on Thursday though, it is one of the premier mid summer meetings after all and Wednesdays action imo didn’t even come close.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’ve been to both and went before they changed whatever they’ve changed on the july course (Meeting last year, passage of time won at) and I thought it was a bit dull to be honest.. Maybe it was the particular meeting (It waas raining) but it was not very busy and not very exciting.. Champions Day on the rowley mile was a good event but there are much better racecourses out there.. Towcester on a friday night is equally as good and they don;t charge you to get in…

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Only slight problem with the July meeting these days is that it gets overcrowded (the ladies day last year was extrmely hot and busy)

Other than that, it is a wonderful course. I love the bit between the parade ring and the course when they canter down.

Rowley mile has to be visited too.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

A slight disagrement with your post doyley, you say she’s a NH horse winning at headquaters but imo she’s a flat horse who won 5 NH races because in fairness that’s the only way it can be done, it’s impossible to do it the other way round.

Moreover, it’s also a path that Alan Swinbank has already pursued with a couple of other horses he has rated highly (and with some justification), and I don’t think the subsequent achievements of Collier Hill or Alfie Flits are or have been diminished in any way by their first careers as (prolific) bumper horses.

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.