The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

County Cricket

Home Forums General Sports County Cricket

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1904

Your quid is looking safe at the moment, Nathan though still go wickets in hand. Crucial game, no doubt about it.

And hats off to Hick. It is tempting to wonder what might have been if he had the temperament to cope with Test cricket but there is no denying his achievement in the county game. And I read today that Gooch said he could carry on another two years if he wanted to.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

:D Alfonso Thomas won the game for Somerset in the end, he’s been a good addition to the one day side and Banks bowled ok for someone who has not played much first team cricket this year.

I cant speak highly enough about Hick, i remember when i was a young lad and he hit that 405 at Taunton, thought he was going to be the match winner today but the run rate caught up with him in the end.

im glad i can keep hold of my quid for another day, i see you had Yeats as your banker at Ascot so you probably wont miss my pound. :wink:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

• Total Posts 1904

That’s a great effort by Thomas – Worcester never really got up with the run rate, sounded like a good game though.

Thank you for mentioning Yeats and for being polite enough not to mention Tariq!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Who to, who to be, who to be a Yorkie! :D

Aint been on for a while, but to say I’m delighted at how things are going for Yorkshire at the moment is an understatement.

Semi’s in the FP Trophy, Quarter’s in the Twenty20 and top of the tree in the real stuff (County Championship)

In true good old Yorkshire fashion I fully expect us to end up with nowt again though. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

it has to be said Yorkshire are looking good at the moment, but only keeping top spot in the championship warm for Somerset :lol:

Zamorston are Leeds a good bet for promotion this year?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Yes mate I think Leeds have an outstanding chance of promotion.

Gary Mcallister did reasonably well last year and I really rate him as an up and coming manager and strongly believe he won’t just take us up, but will win the league in the process.

As far as I’m aware there hasn’t been any major departures, but has so far been a couple of very significant signings. The 1st and most important IMO was the contract extension signed by Jonathan Howson who is a very talented young player who I know is very highly rated by Mcallister and was by Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet before. He’s the type of player we can build a team around and him staying on was a very psoitive move for the club.

The other significant signing for me was that of Andy Robinson at the back end of last season from Swansea. Not sure what Robinson makes of the move now because I think Swansea kind of made him make a decision on any potential move before he wanted to i.e before the play-off final defeat to Doncaster. I think he was wanting to wait to see if we beat Donny, but Swansea made him decide before the game and he obviously chose us. Anyway, he will offer us something we really, really missed last season and that’s genuine width and real quality width at that.

The talk around these parts is that a quality striker is next on the shopping list and Macca has been on record saying he won’t just sign someone for the sake of it, he’s looking at bringing in someone who is of a better quality than the division.

Then, goalkeeper apart (not the biggest fan of Ankergran) I think we’re very, very strong all through the squad and should take some stopping.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

i’ve decided to have a bit of the 7/2 on offer from BetFred for Leeds to win league one outright, should get a run for my money for the season as they look dead certs but as always in betting there is no such thing, they are not going to lose any deducted points this season are they?

Zamorston you’ve joined the club for jinxing after Yorkshire’s loss to Durham :lol:

Worcester wrapped up an easy win this week against Leicester inside three days, any chance of them for a late push for promotion :?

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

I was very surprised to see the ECB have given Glamorgan the quarter final spot vs Durham in the 20/20 cup, i would of bet everything on Notts getting the vote. Can see this one rumbling on………

• Total Posts 1904

Well apparently the Notts chairman has said he isn’t going to appeal. It is a direct result of Yorkshire getting the two points back they won against Notts and also being deducted two points. A bit of a farce all round and last night there were seven teams in the winners market on Betfair, unusual for what should be the semi finals

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

That’s very commendable of the Notts chairman, im sure alot of other teams if in that situation would of appealed.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Not all sure about this new format

Way too much 20/20. Why two competitions?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Agreed. It seems like a bit too much of the one thing all of a sudden.

Moreover, will admission prices for the new Twenty20 league matches be halved, given that you’ll be seeing half as much cricket as in a Pro40 match? Somehow I doubt it.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Morning jeremy :)

Its ironic that some of those complaining that 50 over cricket had become predictable and one dimensional are now screaming that 20/20 is wonderful. There is no form of the cricket so one paced as 20/20

I also sense that some commentators (even ones i respect like Brearley and Atherton) and administrators fear a being lablled as out of touch and fuddy duddy if they do not wholeheartedly embrace this format

I have no problem with one 20/20 competition but even then friends of mine who attended most of the Surrey home games admitted that they were jaded and bored at seeing the same thing over and over

• Total Posts 1904

The idea of a Twenty20 competition on Friday/Saturday nights at the height of summer is fine. It isn’t my cup of tea, but it might replicate some of the popularity of the old Sunday League. And if it is played at international level, we should play it too. But two leagues? Where is the demand? Attendances for this year’s Twenty20 Cup were down on last year and it could well be that interest has peaked. You can’t replicate an Indian level of support here.

I’m all for reorganising the county game, but it should be made to serve the national team (because that’s where all the money comes from). This is overkill in the mistaken belief that there is an unlimited audience for Twenty20.

What is needed is a County Championship, one fifty over competition and one Twenty20 competition. That’s enough.

The problem is that the ECB is divided between those who’s only concern is money and those who only want to promote their county’s interest. Where are the far-sighted administrators prepared to put the national team and the long-term future first?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

What is needed is a County Championship, one fifty over competition and one Twenty20 competition. That’s enough.

…is the correct answer. Five points!

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

Agreed, one twenty20 competition is more than enough for me. Omari Banks however is probably quite excited about the prospect. :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 31781

I’m all for reorganising the county game, but it should be made to serve the national team (because that’s where all the money comes from). This is overkill in the mistaken belief that there is an unlimited audience for Twenty20.

i would like to reorganise the county championship to three divisions of six teams in each, home and away thats ten games a season for each side but each game played for five days like a test match, would presumably produce more positive results. any thoughts.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.