The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Yes he is! :lol: SMS had a choice on whether to send him to France for the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud over 1m4f or keep him here for the Eclipse over 1m2f.

Spanish Moon albeit he cant race in the UK was sent in his place and won beating Arc 2nd Youzmain into 3rd. Conduit is rated a lot higher than he is by SMS and I can assure you they are oozing confidence the horse has more than enough speeed to cope with this young pretender. :P .

Anyway Reet and I don’t care we’re of to the Bahamas if he’s placed and we’re buying this forum if he wins and you’re getting banned for disagreeing with us :lol:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Who was the last Leger winner to be fast enough to win a 10f Group 1 post-leger?

As i’ve said, i don’t buy in to the BC Turf too much as form goes – Red Rocks was a Leger runner-up and was still good enough to win the BC Turf in equally impressive style as Conduit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Who was the last Leger winner to be fast enough to win a 10f Group 1 post-leger?

Commanche Run.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

PC: That would be St Paddy PC and Nijinsky could have the year Cannaught won it. Perhaps you would be better asking which horse will be the next St Leger winner to win the Eclipse. :wink:

You are looking at it ass for elbow. The reason it doesn’t happen very often is there are too many good races for top rated horses to go for.

How many Eclipse winners could have won the St Leger? Mill Reef? Dancing Brave? Star Appeal? Royal Palace? Daylami? Nashwan? Ela-Mana-Mou? I’m sure a few of those could have if they had tried.

You must remember SMS didn’t know what he had on his hands last season. Conduit ran in a handicap last June. He’s later been very unluckily bean beaten at Ascot in a Group 2, He was then very disappointing and his speed seemed to have deserted him when he scraped home in a poor Group 3. He went to the St Leger on a wing and a prayer hoping he would stay and pleasently surprised SMS who was no more than hopeful.
    He showed the same speed at Donny as he did at Ascot and even more at Santa Anita.

There is no one knows better than SMS what it takes to win an Eclipse and if he didn’t think Conduit could win Tartan Bearer would have gone here and missed Ascot.

When you consider with a tiny bit of luck he could have been going here with 6 consecuitive wins here having been dreadfully unlucky behind Campanologist and was just pipped by Cima De Triomphe that should tell you just how good this horse is.

While it wasn’t a great race at Sandown on his latest run he showed how much class he has when giving Cima De Triomphe 7lbs and about 6 gallops of a start on fitness and all but beat him. That was 1m2f PC and he showed it holds no worrries for him.

Whether he is in the same class or a different class to Sea the Stars we won’t know until next week but I’m not convinced this dual clasic winner is anywhere near as good as past 2000 Guineas winners. Half the field wasn’t right Delegator seemed not to go through with his run and it looked a very ordinary Derby to me.

SMS reckons Conduit is better than he was last year and that’s good enough for me.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Opinions are what it is all about, but i wouldn’t fancy a horse with enough stamina to win a soft ground leger being quick enough to win a 10f group 1. The G3 Brigadier Gerard hasn’t altered my opinion, its strengthened it.

If i’m wrong, i’m wrong – If Conduit wins he would surely be ackowledged a very good horse to win top G1 events over 10f, 12f and 14f, on going ranging from Soft to Firm in to the bargain!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Commanche Run.

I should learn to read I thought PC was asking which horses had won an Eclipse and a St Leger :oops:

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Not like you to leap in double footed Fist! :wink:

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’ve just had a lumpy each-way bet on Rip Van Winkle at 9/2 with Hills. If he makes similar improvement to F and G from Epsom he’s no forlorn hope to turn the tables at a more suitable trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

All I need is for him to wake up and stuff me. Backed him in both he Guineas and the Derby. My feeling is he has a flat spot between travelling well and getting into top gear. It’s almost likes he’s stilll a bit weak.

No doubt he’ll get it together and take a big prize I am hoping it’s not this one.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You must remember SMS didn’t know what he had on his hands last season. Conduit ran in a handicap last June. He’s later been very unluckily bean beaten at Ascot in a Group 2, He was then very disappointing and his speed seemed to have deserted him when he scraped home in a poor Group 3. He went to the St Leger on a wing and a prayer hoping he would stay and pleasently surprised SMS who was no more than hopeful.
    He showed the same speed at Donny as he did at Ascot and even more at Santa Anita.

I think you underestimate SMS, Fist.
    It’s not at all uncommon for him to run his future stars in handicaps in their formative races, (Soviet Line and Pilsudski spring to mind), and he’s well known for letting his stars mature slowly, though I doubt he entertains many ‘ angels unawares’.
    Conduit was no exception, hence he was stepped straight up to gp2 company after his h’cap win when still off an OR of 98 that he could have run riot with. Greenness cost him the Ascot race, quite plain to see if you watch the replay, and it was much the same story in his next at Goodwood where, at 2 to 1 on, he just scraped home from the modest Donegal.
    He than came of age in the St Leger, showing no signs of his former inexperience, and winning like a proper horse should. His connections wanted to retire him to stud after that race, but SMS knows his onions, and persuaded them to run him in the Breeders Cup, where he showed, well back in trip and around a much sharper track, the latent potential to wholly justify his trainer’s judgement.
    That SMS persuaded connections again to keep him in training, with a glittering career at stud already assured, also tells us all we need to know about his potential for further improvement, and his dropping back even further in trip just confirms that signal.
    This horse is the real ‘monster’, everything about the way he has been raced and placed says so, and those that oppose him are peeing in the wind, just like those who think that SMS ever was a weasel asleep.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

This is a no bet race for me, although one I am very looking forward to seeing as a spectacle.

It’s hard to get off Sea The Stars though, I can’t see Conduit having the speed to beat him, but over a different trip it would be a different story.

Rip Van Winkle is somewhat surprisingly not talked off since the mega hype of the Dewhurst/Guineas/Derby debacle, if they finally ride him right they could trouble STS, he seems a very strange horse, at Epsom he wass behind Fame And Glory most of the finish real close, when the camera panned off then came back it looked like he was making huge strides, he must be a real difficult ride so without Murtagh maybe too hard to have confiedence.

I will probably bet actually and try steal some cheeky money on an Archipenko Tote Place.

• Total Posts 1688

"Plans are on hold for Crowded House at the moment. There are no problems with the horse and he is in tremendous form, but he won’t going for the Eclipse."

So, essentially we’re being told Crowded House is not good enough in top-class company. Yes? No?

Twice Over 14/1 each-way will do me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yes.

Archipenko
    Conduit
    Cima De Triomphe
    Monitor Closely
    Rip Van Winkle
    Sea The Stars
    Set Sail
    Steele Tango
    Tazeez
    Twice Over
    Westphalia

are the 5-day decs. A little bit shocked that Never On Sunday’s not in there tbh, not sure what on earth they’re going to do with him now.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I’ve been keeping an eye on the weather and there are mixed reports on Thursday. The Met office reckon Esher is up for some thunder and rain whereas the BBC say no. However there is rain expected on Friday and Saturday by both and the going could within hours.

If I wasn’t on already I would be checking this hourly and wouldn’t miss the 7/2 about Conduit if it becomes more definite that the weather is going to take a turn for the worse.

If Sea the Stars does run he will still beat him IMO and if he doesn’t he could be a good thing. He certainly won’t be anything like 7/2 .

Lang Shining as expected has been left in by SMS and AOB has left Westphelia so there should be no lack of pace.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Westphalia’s in there on merit. Set Sail’s their pacemaker.

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

"Plans are on hold for Crowded House at the moment. There are no problems with the horse and he is in tremendous form, but he won’t going for the Eclipse."

So, essentially we’re being told Crowded House is not good enough in top-class company. Yes? No?

Mr Meehan & Co appears to be p*****g about too much! They should just put him in the damn race for God’s sake!

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Conduit’s weakness in the market has to be a worry to his supporters- from a tight 3/1 he can be backed at over 5/1 on Betfair tonight: poor work? setback of some kind? You can bet something’s happened.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.