The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well if he can’t even write proper English, then god knows how I expect him to understand personification.

• Total Posts 4293

In an attempt to get back on track, do people think that the Eclipse has not only lost its lustre in the last few years, but has become eclipsed by the Prince of Wales’s Stakes?

I think the POW has been catching it up in prize money, and already is keenly competing with it for prestige.

Of course, some horses are competing in both, but they are a tadge too much close together.

The Eclipse is anticipated as the race each season in which the 3yos meet their elders for the first time in competition, but several times the Derby winner goes a different route (Irish Derby).

Brings me sort of onto the subject of Sea The Stars. Has anyone mentioned him for this yet?

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

I think youre right Gerald. Look at last years field for the Eclipse.

We had Phoenix Tower, Mount Nelson and Pipedreamer. Not exactly the best field in the world it has to be said (Well, it wasnt at the time..)

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Gerald, I did Eclipse trends the other day and was astounded by what I saw. It’s never really been a top class horse race compared to the Prince of Wales’s + Irish Champion Stakes.

The amount of individual Group 1 winners in the fields over the past 9 runnings compared to the Prince of Wales’ and Tattersalls Gold Cup (PoW + Tatts only been Group 1s since 2000);

(Prince of Wales’ first, Eclipse second, Tatts third)

2000 – 2 – 2 – 3
    2001 – 4 – 4 – 3
    2002 – 4 – 2 – 2
    2003 – 9 – 7 – 1
    2004 – 6 – 4 – 0
    2005 – 4 – 3 – 3
    2006 – 3 – 3 – 2
    2007 – 5 – 3 – 4
    2008 – 3 – 1 – 2

Still a decent turnout in a couple of runnings, but I can’t see them improving things anytime soon. Certainly Ballydoyle don’t rate it much these days with Mount Nelson, Aussie Rules + George Washington running in it instead of more established and quality horses.

• Total Posts 4293

Yes, referring to the Eclipse, when I wrote the last few years, I meant the last couple of decades.

Not really relevant, but I found it amusing a few weeks ago when the market was opened on betfair, that the title was Coral Eclipse, instead of Eclipse.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Tartan Bearer is going to be very hard to beat, SMS I think has this as the number 1 goal for him, and I think SMS has a campaign set out like Notnowcato.

If anyone can beat him, I think will be the winner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I would agree with that Red. When you look at the betting apart from Aqlaam finding one that looks certain to turn up never mind win looks like hard work.

I have never doubted for one minute SMS is aiming Tartan Bearer at 1m2f this season and that the man believes that to be his best distance.

The fact you can get around 6/1 is very appealing. He’s almost guaranteed to run and go very close and EW looks a safe bet.

I’m living in hope Pipedreamer will give him a good run for his money as he is one of my favourite horses in training.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I would agree with that Red. When you look at the betting apart from Aqlaam finding one that looks certain to turn up never mind win looks like hard work.

I have never doubted for one minute SMS is aiming Tartan Bearer at 1m2f this season and that the man believes that to be his best distance.

The fact you can get around 6/1 is very appealing. He’s almost guaranteed to run and go very close and EW looks a safe bet.

I’m living in hope Pipedreamer will give him a good run for his money as he is one of my favourite horses in training.

Fist you are a Pipedreamer and i am the Tartan Bearer, your horse is 17
    on the machine, stay loyal to him! Mine will win the King George! Tartan
    will get caught out over 11/4m by something with a bit too much toe!

Rio De La Plata

would be my 2nd choice for the race at 42 on Betfair!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

A fast pace in The Eclipse is bound to happen and this will suit him.

The worry would be lack of a run going in since The Curragh sadly turned up heavy for him, he had a gallop just a few days before his intended run and was reported to be in fantastic shape so it was a shame.

Maybe a theory will he actually may go The King George & Queen Elizabeth stakes route with a run at Royal Ascot before hand and get good Ascot experience. He does hold an entry for the Prince Of Wales Stakes and The G2 Hardwicke stakes over 1m4f.

It is an interesting one, he deffo needs a run before The Eclipse though if he is to go there. Stoute really seems to have a Plan B in place.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Fist you are a Pipedreamer and i am the Tartan Bearer, your horse is 17
    on the machine, stay loyal to him! Mine will win the King George! Tartan
    will get caught out over 11/4m by something with a bit too much toe!

Rio De La Plata

would be my 2nd choice for the race at 42 on Betfair!

You have backed Mastercraftsman for the Eclipse Duh!! Wont run
    You Have Backed Tartan Bearer for the King George Double Duh!! Def wont run
    YOU Have likely Backed Rio De La Plata for the Eclipse I believe he is injured so good luck with him.

The monkey you backed in the Temple stakes who finished stone last has more chance of being awarded that race now than those 3 turning up.

Do you really think one single member on here thinks of you as some sort of AP genius?

If you are that good how about starting your own thread and post all your AP bets and points bet. Then we will know where to look for inspiration when we are down in the dumps………..just a case of opening up the thread and saying to ourselves "And I thought I was a bad judge" :lol:

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Tartan Bearer is being sent to Royal Ascot for the St. James palace Stakes.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Then he’ll have to lie about his age! 8)

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

If you are that good how about starting your own thread and post all your AP bets and points bet. Then we will know where to look for inspiration when we are down in the dumps………..just a case of opening up the thread and saying to ourselves "And I thought I was a bad judge" :lol:

What an excellent idea Fist, maybe you could start one as well.

• Total Posts 4293

Erm, he already has. It is in the Cheltenham section.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

LOL oops.

Well at least I got my Royal Ascot guess right on him, hopefully that recitifies that error.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

FIST, this almighty gamble that you and your source from Sir Michaels
    have created on Conduit at 14/1 12/1 10/1 and a bit of 8/1 for the Eclipse!
    He is currently trading at 18.5 on Betfair?? Whats going on? Your sources
    seem to be taking the P**s out of you!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Erm, he already has. It is in the Cheltenham section.

Erm Gerald, Fair play to Fist for the Cheltenham one, but we cant suggest
    your Ayr Gold Cup winner in that!

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.