The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Eclipse 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Eclipse 2009

Viewing 3 posts - 290 through 292 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I think Conduit has run to the best of his ability both times but he just happens to have more ability at 1m4f. He did not have the speed to go with STS and Rip in the Eclipse but he would undoubtedly get closer to them over 1m4f..

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Much as I love Conduit, I don’t believe he has achieved anything like his BC Turf form in any of his races this season, and would agree with Fist that there’s probably more in the locker. His trainer has insinuated that is the case, and there’d certainly have to be for him to win a normal Arc.
    In the BC (RPR 127) he comfortably beat Eagle Mountain, who ran a similar mark (123) to his Champion Stakes 2nd, form he has upheld since in the HK Cup, the 3rd and 4th in the BC both ran to marks within their compass with the rest well beaten, so the 127 looks pretty solid. His OR, post-BC was raised to 125.
    First time up this season (gave 7lb), Conduit was just beaten by Cima De Triomphe, but with the modest Stotsfold and h/c rated Drumfire close in his wake, his 121 probably flatters him.
    In the Eclipse he was given an 11lb beating by Sea The Stars, hard enough to swallow for a horse proven to be gp1 standard against older horses internationally, and made all the more unbelievable by the winner and 2nd ostensibly improving by 7lb and 9lb respectively. STS is a very good horse, but nothing he has achieved so far would convince me he merits the 138 he apparently ran to – if one accepts that Conduit ran to form.
    On to the KG, and on a course that favoured him much more than Santa Anita, a workmanlike win from 2 good horses, but nothing like the fluency of his BC win, and against lesser horses. Just my opinion, but he has yet to show the improvement one expects from 3 to 4, particularly given his trainers MO, and I’d be severely disappointed if he hasn’t more to come.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so you’re on at 14’s as well? :lol:

Fine thought out post Sir 8)

Viewing 3 posts - 290 through 292 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.