The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Constitution Hill

Home Forums Horse Racing Constitution Hill

Viewing 17 posts - 698 through 714 (of 1,517 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Time to change that signature, Nathan. 😜

Constitution Hill to conquer nothing, because his balls have been removed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Blackbeard would give him a race up until the first hurdle
    then he’d stop and dig a moat around it

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

Alternative viewpoint: Constitution Hill would take one look at Blackbeard’s tackle and refuse to engage, à la Vodkatini.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

I think he might just be the best hurdles horse iv ever seen

He’s beaten a 154 mare giving her 7lbs by 12 lengths hard on the bridle

I’d be struggling not to rate him close to 180 already

Most of the other races on the card were 5-13 seconds slower than standard

He was almost 3 seconds faster than standard unextended

Anyone know what the Newcastle track record is?

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

Not a bad performance I suppose. May finish a length closer to Honeysuckle in March than I initially thought ;o) lol

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

A comment from the Guardian’s Talking Horses blog:

“I feel Honeysuckle a pretty attractive price considering she has won pretty easily in every race during last 2 years.”

Right, so he/she failed to notice that Constitution Hill defeated Epatante by a far greater distance than Honeysuckle did in March, also gave her 7 lbs and was coasting in the last half furlong but still ran well under the standard time.

The attractive price is 8/11 against a horse that is the best in the race by a comfortable margin.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

In the interests of balance I should point out the time of the other 2m hurdle on the card suggests Constitution Hill’s time wasn’t quite as off the scale as I first imagined.

If a horses with RPRs of 112 apiece after today can be 5.74s slow carrying just 6lb less it means CH’s time is merely “very good.”

I see the RP now rate CH 176.

It will be interesting to see the BHA reaction on Tuesday.

I suspect it will be similar.

Honeysuckle has an RPR of 165 and 165 + 7 = oh, dear!

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

First of all Honeysuckle needs to come out and show she maintains the hunger
    I don’t think connections will swerve the Champion Hurdle
    one for the forecast

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Hbd might not want to but what about the owners ? , I’m playing her for the mates race , I’ll be playing the 4/5 for CH until the bookies wake up to , I’ve rewatched the race 5 or 6 times , his pickup in that ground is unbelievable

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

The fastest Fighting Fifth Hurdle prior to 2pm this afternoon, was run in 3M 48.19S.

That’s the info from the ATR website – not sure how far back that goes. The fastest in the last 20 years was Harchibald, 3M 50.2S in 2004 on good ground.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Thank you, Alan.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

I have some good news for those owners and trainers that are contemplating running against Constitution Hill in the 2023 Champion Hurdle.

Second prize is £95,400!

On the times question, I have found a Fighting Fifth that was run in 3M 40.7S. That was in 1995, when the race was a Grade 2 Limited Handicap and the winner, Padre Mio, carried 10-10, a stone less than the winner today. The race (you can find it in Youtube) was run at a suicidal pace and conditions must have been very quick, as even the juvenile hurdlers (a race with 24 runners!) that day were well under the standard time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

V impressive, tho got my fingers burnt a few years ago after the F Fifth, reckoned B D’air unbeatable after demolishing Samcro. Time proved Samcro was over-rated. Epatante also made a serious error at the 3rd last.
    But Ch’s time is compelling evidence.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

The thing about identifying truly great racehorses is that you should never go looking for them.

You should let them find you.

I never thought I’d see the all-time greatest Flat turf horse in my lifetime – until Frankel came along.

I never thought I’d see a dirt horse who evoked memories of Secretariat’s Belmont win – until Flightline at Del Mar.

And I never thought I’d see a better hurdler than the likes of Night Nurse, Monksfield, Istabraq and Persian War – until Constitution Hill.

Some people are hailing “GOATS” every year with monotonous regularity.

But not I nor, I suspect many here at TRF who were blown away and are using superlatives they seldom deploy.

After a terrible day for Jump racing at Ascot last week, this was a great day.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6657

And the thing that’s most exciting is the he’s 5 going on 6 and has only had 4 starts

In theory he should continue to improve for the next 2 or 3 seasons and given his run style he could put up some extraordinary figures if he can find a 170+ rival to run against

Which is something to look forward too

Fingers crossed he stays sound, we don’t need another douvan on our hands

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“After a terrible day for Jump racing at Ascot last week, this was a great day.”

It was. Aside from the mighty Constitution Hill, there was also a very eye catching novice hurdle win (Luccia) and two fine weight carrying performances (First Street and L’Homme Presse). Good horses giving weight away – now there’s an idea!

Although, as Jane Mangan said on RTV today, should a handicap be worth so much more prize money than a Grade 1? I think she said the former Hennessy was worth £80,000 more than the Fighting Fifth.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“should a handicap be worth so much more prize money than a Grade 1?”

If they abolished the Betfair Chase and horses like Protektorat (who had an engagement in it) went to Newbury instead the case would be a lot stronger.

L’Homme Presse evoked memories of those halcyon days with his weight-defying effort at Newcastle.

More of that please.

Viewing 17 posts - 698 through 714 (of 1,517 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.