The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Constitution Hill

Home Forums Horse Racing Constitution Hill

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 1,517 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Andrew Thornton’s recommended Ante-Post bet for Cheltenham 2023 on ITV on Saturday has got to be the worst I’ve seen – Constitution Hill at 5/1 for the Arkle.

Thought Rishi Persad’s was pretty poor value too. Do you really want to take 9/4 Constitution Hill for the Champion Hurdle 12 months before the race? Especially when 5/2 – 11/4 was available. Maybe he got it with a run :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

“The clock has been used too much in the Supreme/CH conversation for my liking. That isn’t to crab the performance of Constitution Hill even remotely, I do believe we witnessed a superstar in the making, although the races were run completely differently.

The Supreme was run at a breakneck gallop and was never relenting, whereas the Champion Hurdle was run a lot more slowly, particularly down the back where there was a significant breather got into the leader and it stacked the field up.

Constitution Hill is a star, although to compare the merits of both races/winners entirely on their winning times isn’t quite so clear cut”.

———————————–

It is not just the unbelievable overall time of the Supreme that makes time enthusiasts so enamoured with the Henderson horse.

Yes the Champion was run at a slower pace and as such Honeysuckle is better than her overall time suggests. However, slower early and / or mid sectionals invariably means a quicker closing sectional.

According to Timeform despite the overall time being so outstanding, Constitution Hill’s closing sectionals were faster than Honeysuckle’s.

The overall time of the two races…
    Together…
    With sectionals…
    Prove Constitution Hill the better horse.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Tom the reason I’m so keen on the time comparison between CH and Honeysuckle is because despite the Supreme being ran at a ridiculous pace CH still ran his final furlong quicker than Honeysuckle something that I believe is only possible (considering CH ran fast between the 3 and 1 furlong poles too) if CH is indeed a freak animal.

EDIT – Just seen Gingers post above pretty much saying the same, nice one Ginge :yes:

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I like Honeysuckle, but the 7lb gender allowance is very generous IMO and the bottom line for me is she’s an incredibly consistent 165 OR mare who has dominated a less-than-vintage era in receipt of that 7lb.

What really impresses me about Constitution Hill is, prior to Tuesday, his best form thus far had been on Heavy ground yet he’s flown up that hill to annihilate Jonbon by 22 lengths on ground which should have suited the latter.

Literal time comparisons are dangerous and I don’t for one second (geddit?) think that 5.78 x 5 + 4 = Constitution Hill is 33lb better than Honeysuckle and will give her 7lb and a 20-length beating at Punchestown (or anywhere).

But I do think he will beat her, and beat her comprehensively, not least because he’s probably still improving and she probably isn’t.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I agree Ian. The clock comparison isn’t to be taken as literally as was rammed down our throats by Brian Gleeson et al on ITV.

I also agree with Ginge and Ben, as this wasn’t the point I was trying to make specifically. The sectionals, finishing speeds etc and the forensics of the clock can be taken on merit. The overall treatment of ‘Constitution Hill won in a x seconds quicker time’ is the daft part.

Agreed also, Constitution Hill is the superior animal. None of my comment was there to in any way take away from him or his performance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

Yeah, to be fair it’s more than just the time that makes me think Constitution Hill will beat Honeysuckle, it’s just that’s some of the only tangible evidence we can use so it’s useful to get a point across lol.

GM23
    Participant
    • Total Posts 508

As has been stated here already. It’s the fact that Constitution Hill covered from the last hurdle to the line quicker than Honeysuckle which is mind blowing. To do that hands and heels after a break neck gallop is one of the most impressive feats I’ve ever seen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Don’t understand the resentment towards Honeysuckle, unbeaten, and unbeaten for 2 yrs in the 2nd most prestigious tier of NH racing.
    She was never as electric as Faugheen or Annie, but keeps on beating all-comers, and usually quite easily (bit like STS, the GOAT)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

Eh?

I haven’t read any resentment towards Honeysuckle here?

Very consistent mare.

But I think Constitution Hill is on another level entirely.

Best Supreme winner since Golden Cygnet.

Going to be the best Champion Hurdler since Istabraq.

That’s no offence to Honeysuckle, but beating the likes of Sharjah and Zanahiyr getting 7lb off them doesn’t make you a superstar historically and I think Constitution Hill is poised to be just that.

Look at his pedigree – has 2m4f mudlark written all over it for me.

And yet he did THAT on Good ground over 2m on Tuesday.

So much hype about so many horses in racing nowadays that few can see the wood for the trees.

Constitution Hill was by a country mile the best horse who ran at Cheltenham last week – I’m surprised anyone is talking about any other horse tbh.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

“I think Constitution Hill is on another level entirely.

Best Supreme winner since Golden Cygnet.

Going to be the best Champion Hurdler since Istabraq.

That’s no offence to Honeysuckle, but beating the likes of Sharjah and Zanahiyr getting 7lb off them doesn’t make you a superstar historically and I think Constitution Hill is poised to be just that.”

Placed horses in Istabraq’s Champion hurdles were Theatreworld (the My Tent of Yours of the 90s), Hors La loi (rated 165- Sharjah currently rated 164), I’m Supposin, French Holly (decent) and Blue Royal.

Constitution Hill looks and may be amazeballs. He’s just a year younger than Long Run was when he beat the aging Denman and Kauto by 7 and 11 lengths respectively in Gold Cup course record time. Appreciate It won his Supreme by 24 lengths and looked amazeballs too. Let’s see what happens next.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32901

The horses Appreciate It beat were nowhere near as good as those Constitution Hill beat in their Supremes, Green’… And the time performance is nowhere near as good either. ie Both overall time and sectionals of Appreciate It were nothing spectacular when comparing them with the other results on the day.

Appreciate It was a good novice but to describe him and Constitution Hill using the same word “amazeballs” is wrong.

I am myself amazeballs that some just don’t get it.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

In 3 yrs time, if C Hill is still unbeaten and has won 2 Champion Hurdles, then we can make comparisons

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

“Prove Constitution Hill the better horse.”

Nowt is proven with numbers GT, hate to break it to you.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Appreciate It won his Supreme by 24 lengths and looked amazeballs”

Didn’t look “amazeballs” to me – if it had I’d have been on here raving about it at the time.

Like GT said, Appreciate It beat an obviously ordinary Supreme field, whereas Constitution Hill has crucified a decent novice in Jonbon and then there’s THAT time which, while it cannot be used for a literal comparison, is nevertheless mighty impressive.

I’d urge anyone who has never seen it to go on YouTube and search Golden Cygnet and view his Supreme win and then view what he was about to do to Night Nurse and Sea Pigeon when fatally falling at the last at Ayr in 1978.

It’s taken me 44 long years to see a Supreme winner of the same quality – but I saw one last Tuesday.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

It is so strange everyone is ignoring the faller.

Plenty fancied him, and plenty thought Jonnbon was a hype horse.

BUY THE SUN

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Deleted.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

To many folk going way ott regards constitution Hill. Clearly it was a terrific run but the winning distance and ground plus the pace it was run at means one shouldn’t be taken literally. I remember harbinger winning the king George by 15 lengths. Was he the best thing since sliced bread. Also celtic swing in the racing post trophy.
    I’d be very wary of burdening the horse with the superstar title. Who knows which horse will be best next season. Vauban is being hugely underrated IMHO. Won in a canter against a cracking field and pied piper the previous race had blitzed its field.
    Anybody taking 2-1 CH for next seasons champion hurdle is nuts. How many of nickys bomb out on the big day. Remember shiskin was a certainty in most punters eyes.
    It’s certainly shaping up to be a brilliant champion hurdle next season. Who knows if facile vega keeps improving at the rate it currently is you can see it possibly in the champion hurdle. I’ve seen too many next big things blow out to wait till we’ve seen the contenders run a couple of time next season before thinking of backing them. All about opinions of course.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 1,517 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.