The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Commanche Court

Home Forums Memorials Commanche Court

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Just read about his death after suffering from colic. Perhaps never got the credit that he deserved during his career. Condolences to connections who sound [understandably] upset about it. Am I right in thinking Commanche Court was an entire, or am I geting him mixed up with another horse? R.I.P.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Just read about his death after suffering from colic. Perhaps never got the credit that he deserved during his career. Condolences to connections who sound upset about it. Am I right in thinking Commanche Court was an entire, or am I geting him mixed up with another horse? R.I.P.

You’re quite right, he was an entire.

Main wins were the Triumph Hurdle, Irish National and Punchestown Gold Cup.
    Got murdered with weight after that and stuggled to reproduce that level of form afterwards but was a real "family" horse and will be sadly missed by the Walsh family to whom he gave such wonderful service.

smallbutmighty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 64

Just read about his death after suffering from colic. Perhaps never got the credit that he deserved during his career. Condolences to connections who sound upset about it. Am I right in thinking Commanche Court was an entire, or am I geting him mixed up with another horse? R.I.P.

Got murdered with weight after that and stuggled to reproduce that level of form afterwards but was a real "family" horse and will be sadly missed by the Walsh family to whom he gave such wonderful service.

Well he was obviously entire once, but not at his death according to bloodstock database – and that (wedding tackle intact) is very rare is a top chaser, so I doubt he was entire when doing most of his racing.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Well he was obviously entire once, but not at his death according to bloodstock database – and that (wedding tackle intact) is very rare is a top chaser, so I doubt he was entire when doing most of his racing.

I took my statement from RP database but am happy to be corrected in this.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I’m sure he was still an entire when he won the Triumph, but that isn’t totally unusual, so I’d assume that it was mentioned later in his career. As the trainer said he was one of the gentlest, kindest horses he’s ever known, so perhaps there was no need to geld him until he got older. Anyway, that’s of no great importance, but I find it sad that a horse who was so sound and healthy should succumb to that curse of the equine world, colic. What a lovely 10 or so years he would have had ahead of him.

Imperial Call
    • Total Posts 2184

Hadn’t heard he’d passed on. Feel sorry for Ted. The horse along with Papillon really put him on the map and proved his credentials as a trainer.

I’ve heard Ruby say a few times in interviews that he feels he’d have beaten Best Mate in the Gold Cup on Commanche Court if he was riding him now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.