The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cockney Rebel Retired

Home Forums Horse Racing Cockney Rebel Retired

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

A terrible shame with Huffer saying just last week he was stone better horse than when he won the Guineas. Now we’ll never know.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

A terrible shame with Huffer saying just last week he was stone better horse than when he won the Guineas. Now we’ll never know.

Well he would, wouldn’t he? :wink:
    No coincidence, imo, that he has followed the same route as many other deposed superstars.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Unless Huffer is trying to mask the fact that, in reality, the horse isn’t as good as he once claimed the decision to retire Cockney Rebel is absolute lunacy.

The article on the Sporting Life website quotes Huffer as saying that the horse had been working brilliantly, was doing everything right and was bang on for the QEII. To retire horse he believes is doing that well on the basis of an injury which would only take 3 months or so to heal beggars logic.

I bet Phil Cunningham is wishing he’d taken those big-numbered cheques now…..

TheCheekster
    • Total Posts 329

I have just read the article on the RP site.
    I cant quite believe they actually print such rubbish in the belief that anyone in the industry will believe it.

nitro
    • Total Posts 100

3 months rest? So I would race him as a 4yo. Don’t think that he is worth a fortune at stud for his two Guineas wins. He showed too less to be called a superstar already, he never faced older horses. And as a racing fan I would love to see him running next year…

Romney Marsh
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24

Looks like there are plenty of unsubstantiated quotes aleady flying about that the marketing men for Cockney Rebel will use to their advantage…no point building up his stallion CV on official, Timeform or Racing Post Ratiings if the lazy soundbite sponges have already regurgitated just what they have asked to be told….now lets subtract that official wfa allowance he was deemed to have received at Newmarket in the spring from his likely end of year International Classification rating and see what he is really worth………thought not. Doesn’t make him much, does it?

mdwillis
    • Total Posts 82

Do anyone think that Darley Stud will buy Cockney Rebel for stud purposes they seen to the purchasing any decent horse under the sun as soon as it is retired. Just like they bought Authorized, Teofleo and Manduro.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

They haven’t bought Teofilo, he will remain in previous ownership but stand at Darley’s Stud.

rainbow-promises
    • Total Posts 126

I reckon he is worth a thing or two for stud
    Nice pedigree, but i can’t see him standing at darley for some reason :?
    Sir Percy to stand at landwade stud :D

aphardy
    • Total Posts 190

As soon as I heard this news, I immediately thought something doesn’t quite add up. It’s a shame to lose a horse with undoubted potential so early into his career, and as has already pointed out, it wasn’t an injury that would’ve ruled him out for the rest of his career.

A big shame and once again shows the one dimensional aspect of flat racing – win a couple of decent races, retire to stud.

Have they even learned about reproduction at that age? He’s not even pubescent, surely.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Few Guineas winners maintain their form throughout a long, arduous season. I think Huffer has made the right decision by retiring him at this stage. The horse has served him well.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1436

Made my day out at Newmarket a special one and Lady Sporting Sam
    collected nearly £300 in winnings as well. And most of the stake came from free betting vouchers. And Eric Bristow afterwards kept saying "I told everyone to get on cos I`m the crafty cockey int I !!"

Shame we wont get to see Cockney Rebel again.
    Won the English and Irish Guineas and owes no-one nothing.
    They will certainly command a tasty stud fee. Its up to connections and the trainer to "maximise" opportunities. Hardly expect him to talk the horse down.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

A great shame and frustrating too.

:(

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 60

"Do anyone think that Darley Stud will buy Cockney Rebel for stud purposes they seen to the purchasing any decent horse under the sun as soon as it is retired. Just like they bought Authorized, Teofleo and Manduro."

am i to take from this that authorized teofilo and manduro have all retired??

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.