The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Clever names

Home Forums Horse Racing Clever names

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

American horse. Bareback Fun.

I burst out laughing at that one

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/profiles/horse/960367

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

The 4:25 at Haydock today features a son of Flycatcher called Zip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Peripatetic, the filly mentioned at the start of the thread, ran at Salisbury last night.

Considering how far Ray Dawson settled her off the pace, I can only assume he thought he was riding Pegasus.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Saturnalia, sired by Holy Roman Emperor, has just won at Wolverhampton. The delighted owner explained she chose the name because Saturnalia was a winter festival in the Roman Empire.

I suppose it is a bit mean and pedantic to point out that the Holy Roman Empire was not the same thing as the Roman Empire.

It is not the first time that horses by this particular sire have been given names from an empire that ended in the west over three centuries before the first Holy Roman Emperor was crowned!

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

SEA THE STARS: CAPE CROSS x URBAN SEA.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Gamble said…
    “p.s. I did try to join in. I found one of my favourite horses Zilzal who is 36 now. He is by Nureyev and like his Pa was precocious. Zilzal gained his reputation in a few short months and the name means earthquake in Arabic – which can hardly be compared with a swan gliding about on a lake. I’M OUT.”

Don’t sign off so quickly Gamble as it comes to light that Nureyev was actually born in Irkutsk Siberia Russia which is susceptible to the odd Zilzal.
    Jac :good:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

“It’s asking for trouble to name a horse Entire.

Fate decrees the beast is a short price to be gelded at some stage (which is exactly what happened).”

The owners of No Tackle (which ran at Ffos Las today, ridden by our pal Robbie Dunne) were at least realistic.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

It is a rather pleasing coincidence how The Angelus Belle is running in the 6pm at Wolverhampton.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

VG Corker

Despite your moniker I believe you said that you’re not from the Auld Sod; but you were obviously raised a good Catholic nevertheless :yes:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

No, I am from Methodist stock! But I was a regular visitor to Ireland until 2020 and have often seen the Angelus on RTE at 6pm.

I remember when it used to have Roman Catholic imagery but now it tends to be short films of people going about their daily activities and pausing to gaze thoughtfully into the distance when they hear the chimes of the Angelus.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I noticed a filly named Page Three ran in the 5.30 at Kempton tonight. Out of a dam named Pin Up.

I expect we can all think of a few amusing things commentators could say – but I expect they have been instructed to not say anything that might cause offence.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Going back to the start of this thread: Yesisaidyes, a runner in the 3.50 maiden race at Newbury, is the latest well named horse by Ulysses.

The name is taken from the climax of Molly Bloom’s soliloquy which takes up the entire final chapter of Joyce’s masterpiece. It ends:

“Then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.”

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Not a clever name but well done to Weatherbys for allowing Wheres The Crumpet (ran unplaced in the 2.12 at Redcar). I expect some humourless organisations would have banned it on the grounds of being “sexist”.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

A few years back but I remember Channel 4 racing asking the owners husband where the name Jafeica came from. He didn’t fully quote Just Another F****** Expence I Can’t Afford.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

There was something lovely about the way Alan Potts named his horses SIZING [X].

This was after the machine he invented that sized rock as it was mined, revolutionising the mining industry.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4118

Yes, Archipenko those were lovely names. But I still don’t know what a Sizing Europe is.

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

MAYTHEHORSEBEWITHU is a good one for any Star Wars fans out there 🤪.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.