The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Clever names

Home Forums Horse Racing Clever names

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

“Didn’t Marwan Koukash get told to stop naming horses Gabrial The (Something)?”

Well, I did email him, suggesting the name “Gabrial The Change The Record You Boring ****.”

I find the fact that, yes, it’s even worse in the world of dog racing, of little comfort tbh!

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

I was surprised that chap with orange colours whose horses were trained by Jessica Harrington was allowed to call his horses Jett, Jetz and Jetez. Jezki sold well for him alright.

None of the above were anything to do with Jet Away who has some unimaginatively named progeny, though “Space Tourist” out of Luna was quite good.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

As well as being clever, some names can prove to be quite educational, Tenebrism’s being the latest one that has proved so for me (thanks Google!).

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

I am having a late night tea (black)
    I have to say I am terribly impressed by the cleverness
    expressed in this thread
    by all and sundry.
    A broad church indeed and spilling out into the graveyard with humour.

I am not clever enough to
    join in, but as a bystander
    I can state it’s all a very entertaining read and
    you need to scratch
    your head at times.
    I believe that each one of you deserves to be compressed in the great British Library and bound very tightly in red leather.
    AND LOCK THE DOORS !

p.s. I did try to join in. I found one of my favourite horses Zilzal who is 36 now. He is by Nureyev and like his Pa was precocious. Zilzal gained his reputation in a few short months and the name means earthquake in Arabic – which can hardly be compared with a swan gliding about on a lake. I’M OUT.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Nureyev was by Northern Dancer. Lots of horses from that dominant sire line were given names inspired by dance.

One of the best named was Dancing Dissident, a high class 2 year old trained by Michael Stoute. By Nureyev out of Absentia.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

“Notnowcato had a son called Dirty Randy.
    And a better one called Doesyourdogbite.”

Notnowcato was a memorable name, even if it had nothing to do with his sire or dam.

He was slightly unusual because in the male line of his pedigree he was a direct descendant of the Byerley Turk. 95% of modern thoroughbreds trace their male line descent back to the Darley Arabian.

Louise12
    Participant
    • Total Posts 372

This is not mine, but somebody on a similar thread to this once posted Wait for the Will, by Seeking the Gold x You’d be Surprised. I can’t remember the back story – Paul Mellon leaving his riches to a museum instead of hungry relatives? Cork All Star, I’m afraid Pilsudski is no longer with us. He was one of my all time favourites too, and i saw him at stud here. He was gorgeous, and the most beautiful temperament. A real star.

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

Sunderland Holdings are being clever with naming the offspring of MY TITANIA.

So far she has produced MY OBERON, MY PROPSPERO and MY ASTRA.

Participant
    • Total Posts 252

Same goes for the offspring of DAR RE MI: SO MI DAR, LAH TI DAR and TOO DARN HOT.

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Not especially clever but certainly a unique way of naming a horse.

Willoughby Bertie, 4th Earl of Abingdon, owned a mare called Sportsmistress which he bred to Eclipse. The union produced a handsome colt which, as was common practice in those times, went unnamed for years.

One day the good lord presented himself at the colt’s stable and said to the lad, “I name this horse Potatoes. Please have ‘Potatoes’ painted on his feed bin.”

The next day Bertie visited the stable again and looked at the feed bin, which now bore the legend, ‘Potoooooooo’. His lordship found this name amusing so he kept it. The horse was henceforth known by several variations of his name, such as Pot-8-Os, Pot8Os, Pot8O’s or Pot 8 Os. His entry in the General Stud Book is Potoooooooo.

Potoooooooo sired three Derby winners and, through Waxy, serves as a crucial conduit of Eclipse blood through to the present day.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

Really enjoyed that Seasider. When I see names that appear misspelled (e.g. Definitly Red), I always wonder if they are attempts to circumvent name duplication or genuine errors.

Dubacilla
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

A horse debuted in a Bumper in Ireland in March called We Will Rock You. Dad is Great Pretender and Mum is I Want It All. :yahoo:

Devonian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 169

When I was foolish enough to own racehorses I was quite pleased with the name we chose as follows

Ultimate Smoothie

Highest Honor – Baino Charm

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Marlingford,

I’d argue that genuine errors hold sway. Dual classic winner Exhibitionnist was so named because of a mistake by a clerk when her name was being registered. I don’t know about Miinnehoma but intuitively I feel that’s also a transposition error.

The naming of American Pharoah is covered in his Wikipedia entry:

“The misspelling of “Pharaoh” is permanent, but inadvertent. Zayat (owner/breeder) originally claimed that the spelling was the result of an error by The Jockey Club, but the organization’s president stated, “The name request for the 2012 colt American Pharoah was submitted electronically on January 25, 2014, through The Jockey Club’s interactive registration site. Since the name met all of the criteria for naming and was available, it was granted exactly as it was spelled on the digital name application.” Zayat later retracted his statement.”

Definitly Red comes with an anecdote. It became his name when he was being prepared for his point‐to‐point debut. His then owner went into his local pub and asked how to spell Definitely Red.

Big mistake there methinks.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Coolmore had an Irish 2000 Guineas winner named Saffron Waldon, whereas the town in East Anglia is Saffron Walden.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

Two ‘champion’ racehorses from the ’70s with misspelt names were Lochnager and Sagaro; that is, assuming they were named after the mountain and cactus respectively, should have been spelt Lochnagar and Saguaro

Participant
    • Total Posts 730

Somebody mentioned Nureyev, and Dancing Dissident – other sons included Soviet Star & Russian Royal.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.