The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Clever names

Home Forums Horse Racing Clever names

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Peripatetic, unplaced in the Pretty Polly, is very well named by Cheveley Park.

By Ulysses, the word means wandering. There is a chapter in James Joyce’s modernist masterpiece entitled “Wandering Rocks”.

Continuing the theme, they have a filly named Sylvia Beach, also by Ulysses. Her bookshop “Shakespeare and Company” in Paris was the first publisher of Joyce’s novel.

What clever names, past and present, does TRF like and why?

Seasider
    Participant
    • Total Posts 773

Firstly, congratulations CAS on getting through Ulysses. If you landed the double by reading Finnegans Wake as well that would be exponentially impressive.
    1935 Oaks winner Quashed by Obliterate out of Verdict.

1948 1,000 Guineas winner Queenpot by Big Game out of Poker Chip.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I have read Finnegans Wake. As someone once said, there is a thin line between genius and madness.

Ulysses is rather easy to read in comparison, with several passages that are very funny. It also has a link to horse racing. Part of the “plot” involves the Ascot Gold Cup of 1904. When Lyons asks Leopold Bloom for a look at the racing page of his paper, Bloom says he can take it because he was about to throw it away. Lyons mishears and thinks he has tipped the horse Throwaway.

Later on, Lenehan enters a pub where Bloom has been drinking. He says Throwaway won at 20/1. The drinkers are convinced Bloom has backed it and become annoyed when he does not stand them a round of drinks. He ends up fleeing from the pub after a biscuit tin is thrown at him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

I always liked Lord Howard de Walden’s names, especially the full brothers Kris, Diesis and Keen. All were by Sharpen Up and out of Doubly Sure.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

At Doncaster in 1978 I noticed that Royal Frolic was by Royal Buck out of Forward Miss.

Ever since, I have loved names that have a connection to both sire and dam and despised those that don’t.

Sadly, I seldom see such traditionally-named horses any more.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

A favourite is:

Bachelors Pad by Pursuit Of Love ex Notebook

A modest performer who started out on the Flat with William Jarvis in the mid ’90s and ended up over hurdles with Matt Gingell

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

‘Ever since, I have loved names that have a connection to both sire and dam and despised those that don’t.’

You’d love my Bulldog / Shih Tzu crossbreed then.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

Agree, too many versions of Getaway around; I presume it’s financially driven, a young horse might be more valuable if it’s provenance is obvious.

BTW my native village, Rostrevor, gets a mention in Ulysses, and also apparently the inspiration for Narnia.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

The 8th Lord Howard De Walden, father of the owner/breeder of Kris, Diesis and Slip Anchor, is mentioned in “Ulysses” several times. His horse Zinfandel was hot favourite for the 1904 Gold Cup at Royal Ascot and backed by several of the characters, only to suffer a shock defeat to Throwaway.

The Rothschild colours of blue jacket and yellow cap, still in use and seen as recently as this afternoon in a maiden race at Salisbury, are mentioned as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Who could forget Charlie Mann’s chaser Celibate? By Shy Groom out of Dance Alone.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Warning was well named. By Known Fact out of Slightly Dangerous.

Diogenes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4

One Over Parr out of Seventh Bride was always one of my favourites.

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

As mentioned by CAS already, Celibate was very well-named.

Another name I like is that of Celibate’s grandsire, Blushing Groom. He was by Red God out of Runaway Bride.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

One Over Parr out of Seventh Bride was always one of my favourites.

That’s a good one.

Cork, is Ulysses any better than Dubliners? That’s the only Joyce I have ever read (had to for English class) and it was the dullest collection of non stories I have ever had the misfortune to read.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

” loved names that have a connection to both sire and dam and despised those that don’t.”

Except mindless nonsense like Battleoverdoyen.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

One that has stuck in my mind is Caesar Beware, by Daggers Drawn. No connection to the dam’s name though, which was Red Shareef(Marju).

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I also think the name of any racehorse should give a clue to it’s bloodline – Nijinsky and Nureyev were clearly from the Northern Dancer bloodline, for example.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.