The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 89

Gerald

very wise not to bother with French – you can see how bad mine is – I’ve been searching for Henry (Aubert) not Henri – but yes it appears to be the very same, and maybe they did run in Mme Aubert’s colours – France Galop list aMarie Francoise but not marie-Louise which I understand was Henri’s wifes name – vatious posts suggest he died in 2008

Come on Zarkava!

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Final few as follows courtesy of Rob Marriott at Weatherbys.

Oaks 1897 Limasol Lord Hindlip ( Samuel Charles Allsopp ) dark blue and white chevrons white cap

2000 1898 Disraeli Wallace Johnstone cream olive slvs red cap

Oaks 1898 Airs and Graces W. T. Jones yellow and black diamonds qtd cap (A+ for Gerald)

Oaks 1909 Perola William Cooper orange and white stripes white cap

Oaks 1921 Love in Idleness Joseph Watson ( 1st Lord Manton ) blue orange slvs brown cap as per subsequent Lord Mantons as we thought

1000 1929 Taj Mah Simon Guthmann white brown slvs and cap watch this win on British Pathe site

1000 1940 Godiva 2nd Viscount Rothermere ( Esmond Harmsworth ) orange purple hoop on body and slvs purple cap agrees with Lady Rothermere in B&H book 1973

2000 1966 Kashmir II P. Butler red & white & light blue check light blue cap also appears in B&H book of colours 1973

Need to find something else to pass the time now.

Thanks to all who’ve got involved in this "trivia" over the past few months.

A successful 2010 to you all – Bash The Bookies !!

• Total Posts 89

congratulations Isinglass on completing your mission – mixed emotions i’m sure: satisfaction and wondering what to do next!!

I’ve extended my mission to include various top grade races (post war only) including Group 1 flat races and grade 1 NH races – what fun! For the record, the ones giving me trouble at present are:

Glencaraig Lady 1972 Gold Cup (owner Patrick Doyle)

Right Royal 1961 King George (Mrs Jean Couturié)

Hilly Way 1978 & 79 Champion Chase (J Sweeney)
    Inkslinger Champion Chase 1973 (Mrs M. Jenney
    Flying Bolt Champion Chase 1966 (Jean Wilkinson)
    Quita Que Champion Chase 1959 (Mrs D. R. Brand)

Puissant Chef 1960 Arc (Henry Aubert)
    Molvedo 1961 Arc (Egidio Verga)
    Oroso 1957 Arc (Raoul Meyer)
    Sica Boy 1854 Arc (Mrs Jean Cochery)

I think we concluded that Vaguely Noble probably carried all "gold" colours when winning the Arc!

regards

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

There is some colour footage of Vaguely Noble on either British Pathe or Youtube showing his Arc victory in yellow/gold colours.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

I de B. you’ve hit the nail on the head. Will have to think of some new challenge to keep me occupied , however will start to see if I can help with your missing ones.

fingers crossed.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hilly Way blue white slvs pink cap – courtesy of the 1979 Daily Express Grand National pullout ; fortunately they printed the colours for all televised races that day. Presume they were the same in ’78.

saved the pullouts since childhood – told the wife they’d come in handy one day.

• Total Posts 89

Just in case anybody is still interested(!) – Henry Aubert – french owner of Puissant Chef (and Le Bavard second to Sagaro in 1975 Ascot Gold Cup) colours were:

BLACK, RED SLEEVES, YELLOW CAP

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Ile De Bourbon , were you watching Cheltenham today – a "flashback" that showed Inkslinger winning back in the 70’s.

Black White V , sleeves & cap

how are you getting on ?

• Total Posts 4293

It was due to Inkslinger that I accidentally found out about Royal Academy becoming a chef-de-race.

[Only saw Inkslinger for a few seconds, but I thought the sleeves were black with white armlets?] The V would officially be described as a chevron?

Looked at Ile De Bourbon’s thread on page 2 or 3 of this section, but Inkslinger wasn’t mentioned there. Decided to google one of his Arc horses, opened the CdR site, and had a nose about.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi Gerald , you were right , it’s a while since I’ve posted so must have got over-excited !!

Black White chevron , armlets & cap.

I de B. was chasing the following :-

Gold Cup
    1972 Glencaraig Lady 1972 Gold Cup (owner Patrick Doyle)

King George
    1961 Right Royal 1961 King George (Mrs Jean Couturié)

Champion Chase

1973 Inkslinger Champion Chase 1973 (Mrs M. Jenney
    1966 Flying Bolt Champion Chase 1966 (Jean Wilkinson)
    1959 Quita Que Champion Chase 1959 (Mrs D. R. Brand)

Arc
    1960 Puissant Chef 1960 Arc (Henry Aubert)
    1961 Molvedo 1961 Arc (Egidio Verga)
    1957 Oroso 1957 Arc (Raoul Meyer)
    1954 Sica Boy 1954 Arc (Mrs Jean Cochery)

Regards
    I.

• Total Posts 89

Thanks guys, sorry I haven’t been back on for a while – the info regarding Inkslinger is great, but I have just discovered (from an old racecard) the colours were as you say but with PINK not white – actually they had a pink sash as well – so BLACK, PINK sash armlets and cap.(Mrs M Jenney)

still tracking the others I mentioned, so if you are still lost for something to investigate……

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Nice to see you back I de B.

Am still looking for your "missing" ones – will get there eventually.

Still trying to find something else to fill my time. Backing winners sure isn’t a successful alternative at the minute.

Cheers

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hi there

Just joined this forum having found this excellent thread.

Like several on here I too am an anorak of colours.

I have loads I am missing so will in time post them here.

To kick off with some help though my understanding is Glencaraig Lady carried red, red and blue striped sleeves with a quartered cap.

Inkslinger wore Black, White inverted Triangle, black slvs, white armlets and cap.

Right Royal – White, purple hoops on body, white slvs purple cap.

Flying Bolt – Oxford Blue, orange hoop, and cap, black slvs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi Ivanjica , welcome. Will be only too glad to help if I can.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Isinglass (great name btw!). I have chosen the name of the filly who when you look at a playback of her race won the Arc from an impossible position and possibly was never accorded the credit she deserved.

Topically I notice from the footage of the 1970s the Wertheimer silks seemed to have been navy blue then, whereas now they are clearly royal blue – any idea if that was a deliberate change or simply poor quality of old footage?

Moving swiftly on, bizarrely I cannot get the Mrs Howell E Jackson silks anywhere apart from a guess at the France Galop site (she of Nasram and Tambourine fame) – the French site has "Succession Mme Howell E Jackson" as C Grenat T Mauve – so basically dark red and mauve cap – is this correct?

I have plenty of other gaps but I am trying to complete the Eclipse currently and I am stuck on:

1906 – Llangibby, L Neumann
    1907 – Lally, W B Purefoy
    1912 – Prince Palatine, T Pilkington
    1913 – Tracery, A Belmont
    1933 – Loaningdale, G Wilson
    1948 – Petition, Sir A Butt
    1963 – Khalkis,Lord Elvedon
    1966 – Pieces of Eight, Comtesse De La Valdene

For the King George I am missing 1951 – Supreme Court, Mrs T Lilley. And maybe Howell E Jackson??

It was interesting also to see with the Eclipse not far away the famous old colours of Seamus McGrath (owner of Weaver’s Hall) being carried in the 6.40 tonight at Ballinrobe – I am guessing Joseph M McGrath is a son/grandson? And indeed Wollow’s colours in the 6.50 at Newbury! Having said that I was told that Carlo D’Alessio had bequeathed the silks to Marco Botti’s dad which now appear as Dioscuri Srl so I was surprised to see them crop up in today’s RP – notice the silks on the RP Site are different so maybe it was an error?

Anyway, that enough for now – once the Eclipse is nailed I have a lot of Arc’s and Irish Derby’s to nail!

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

Although I have been reluctant to post on this forum since another member made a scathing comment about me I feel bounden to help with Supreme Court’s colours. They were scarlet with a white V at the front & a white cap. There is a colour picture of him on The Sport Horse Database.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Although I have been reluctant to post on this forum since another member made a scathing comment about me I feel bounden to help with Supreme Court’s colours. They were scarlet with a white V at the front & a white cap. There is a colour picture of him on The Sport Horse Database.

Thanks Crepello, thats really useful. Upon initial inspection I thought they are identical to the colours carried by Vera Hue-Williams owned horses (eg English Prince) and after a bit more digging discovered Mrs T Lilley became Mrs V Hue-Williams following the death of Thomas Lilley her 2nd husband, and heir to the Lilley & Skinner shoe empire! Following his death she then married Roger Hue-Williams who both raced horses in their own name, his colours carried on Altesse Royale effectively the reverse of hers.

That website you gave Crepello is good – if you search Nonoalco there is a colour photo of the Boutin colt in which I reckon the cap appears to be quartered (grey and pink) rather than just pink which we have all assumed it to be up until now.

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.