The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Found the following out – will keep after the others.

1925 Gold Cup Ballinode C.Bentley Christopher (if it helps)

1946 Hunt Cup Friar’s Fancy Mr O. V. Watney orange & pale blue stripes pale blue cap from 1946 Ruffs Guide

1955 Sussex Stakes My Kingdom J. Armstrong/W Nightingall Blue White seams & cap for Walter N. from 59 Ruffs Guide – no sign of J Armstrong , sorry

1957 Coronation Cup Fric M. Calmann white & yellow stripes black cap from 59 Ruffs Guide

1967 Byrne Grp French March Mrs Tom Hanbury Green & Gold halved slvs reversed pink cap 62 Ruffs Mrs I ( married to T.F. Hanbury )

1967 Ryanair Prince Blarney Mrs M Blair Black & Red halved diagonally slvs reversed striped cap 67 Ruffs Guide

cheers
    I.

• Total Posts 89

Agreed VtoC but interestingly didn’t run in his black/red colours??

• Total Posts 15012

Sure it was down in the morning papers for red and black idb, but can’t remember any explanation for the change.

• Total Posts 199

Sorry I can’t help with the colours previously posted. But to set the record straight. Here is my contribution to the Derby.
    1780 – 1810

1780 DIOMED (Sir T.C. Bunbury): Pink and White Stripe, Black Cap
    1781 YOUNG ECLIPSE (Colonel O’Kelly): Scarlet, Black Cap
    1782 ASSASSIN (Earl of Egremont): Green, White Stripe
    1783 SALTRAM (Mr Parker): Green, Black Cap
    1784 SERJEANT (Colonel O’Kelly): Scarlet, Black Cap
    1785 AIMWELL (Earl of Clermnont): Scarlet
    1786 NOBLE (Mrs Thos. Panton): Buff, Black Spots
    1787 SIR PETER TEAZLE (Earl of Derby): Green, White Stripe
    1788 SIR THOMAS (Prince of Wales): Crimson, Purple Sleeves, Black Cap
    1789 SKYSCRAPER (Duke of Bedford): Purple, White Stripe
    1790 RHADAMANTHUS (Lord Grosvenor): Orange, Black Cap
    1791 EAGER (Duke of Bedford): Purple, White Stripe
    1792 JOHN BULL (Lord Grosvenor): Orange, Black Cap
    1793 WAXY (Sir F. Poole): Black
    1794 DAEDALUS (Lord Grosvenor): Orange, Black Cap
    1795 SPREAD EAGLE (Sir F. Standish): Mazarine Blue
    1796 DIDELOT (Sir F. Standish): Mazarine Blue, White Cap
    1797 BROWN COLT (Duke of Bedford): Purple, White Stripe
    1798 SIR HARRY (Mr Cookson): Purple, Straw Cap
    1799 ARCHDUKE (Sir F. Standish):Mazarine Blue, White Cap
    1800 CHAMPION (Mr Wilson): Light Blue trimmed with Black, Black Cap
    1801 ELEANOR (Sir T.C. Bunbury): Pink and White Stripe, Black Cap
    1802 TYRANT (Third Duke of Grafton): Sky Blue, Black Cap
    1803 DITTO (Sir H. Williamson): Straw, Black cap
    1804 HANNIBAL (Earl of Egremont): Dark Green, Black Cap
    1805 CARDINAL BEAUFORT (Earl of Egremont): Dark Green, Black Cap
    1806 PARIS (Lord Foley): Green, White Stripe
    1807 ELECTION (Earl of Egremont): Dark Green, Black Cap
    1808 PAN (Sir H. Williamson): Straw, Black Cap
    1809 POPE (Third Duke of Grafton): Scarlet
    1810 WHALEBONE (Third Duke of Grafton): Scarlet

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

On a separate issue, does anybody have 1985 RSA chase racecard – or know the colours carried by Antarctic Bay (winner) owned by "P Meade" and trained in Ireland by Pat Hughes?

I acquired the 1985 Sun Alliance card the other day IDB and can confirm that the colours carried by Antarctic Bay in the 1985 Sun Alliance chase were Brown, Beige Epaulets, Striped Cap and Sleeves.

Better late than never!

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I found this footage of the 1949 Arc won by Marcel Boussac’s Coronation.

http://www.ina.fr/video/CAF90000742/pri … video.html

As you can see the colours appear to have a sash so I am assuming that more than one Boussac owned horse contested the race. Does anyone know what the colour of the sash worn by Boussac 2nd strings was?

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi folks ,

long time since I’ve posted anything here which is an indication I think that I’ve reached the end of the road in this quest.

Have managed to find the following since October.

Irish 2000 1949 SOLONAWAY Dick Duggan blue birds eye plum slvs black cuffs red cap

Irish 2000 1950 MIGHTY OCEAN Dick Duggan blue birds eye plum slvs black cuffs red cap

Irish St Leger 1967 DAN KANO S Raccah radiant blue & orange halves striped cap

Irish Derby 1898 NOBLE HOWARD Sebastian M Nolan yellow red slvs black cap

Cheers
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

I have been uploading jockey silks images to Wikipedia for all the races of the Cheltenham Festival. These are displayed in a format showing the 1-2-3 in each year.

e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champion_Hurdle

My data only goes back to 2008 so if anyone can help with 1-2-3 colours info for previous years then I would be very grateful.

• Total Posts 15012

Happy to help ENE, give me a few races you want me to crack on with, and I’ll do them for you.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

VTC, many thanks for your offer of help.
    I have done all the Cheltenham Races and the major Aintree races back to 2008 (using the SMARTFORM database).
    Since that I have painstakingly had a go myself at Champion Hurdle and Gold Cup back to 2003.
    Anything previous to this for Cheltenham & Aintree would therefore be great.
    If we can get back beyond 2000 I think I’ll have to change the layout, because the standard Wikipedia display (images in a column down the right) would take up too much room – but no need to worry about that for now!

• Total Posts 15012

No worries ENE, I’ll be in touch after The National…….a busy week for me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi folks .

Have managed to find a few more French & Irish classic winning colours mainly courtesy of helpful racecards appearing on e-bay.

Also if you’ve a passing interest in French racing predominantly in the 1920’s & 30’s have a look at this.

Google gallica.bnf.fr to get to their online archive. Then search for le Sport Universel Illustre and away you go – 188 issues to look at.

Even if you’ve lost all use of ‘O’Level French , you can work out what the pictures are about. Shame there was no equivalent for our racing ( or was there ? )

French 2000 1928 DARK LANTERN II Boyd Davis red dark blue hoops on body blue cap

French 2000 1939 MAC KANN Robert Lazard dark blue red spots slvs & cap

French Oaks 1928 MARY LEGEND Mrs Mortimer Davis green black hoop green cap

French Oaks 1941 SAPOTILLE R Mathe-Dumaine white red seams slvs & cap

French Oaks 1959 BARQUETTE R Thion de la Chaume white red cap

Irish 1000 1929 SOLOPTIC CL MacKean white chocolate qtd cap

Irish 2000 1921 SOLDENNIS CL MacKean white chocolate qtd cap

Irish Derby 1893 BOWLINE Matthias A Maher ( carried colours of M Dawson due to family bereavement ) black gold sash & collar

Irish Oaks 1898 SABINE QUEEN FF MacCabe dark blue & gold qtd

Irish Oaks 1902 MARIEVALE William Dunne pink dark blue cap

Irish Oaks 1906 JULIET Mrs Sadleir-Jackson indian red sapphire blue collar cuffs & cap

Irish Oaks 1929 SOLOPTIC CL MacKean white chocolate qtd cap

Irish St Leger 1961 VIMADEE Mrs T McCairns royal blue & white diamonds white slvs blue cap

Cheers
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi Ivanjica ( and all the other regulars on this thread ).

It’s been a good while since I’ve posted here but got the jolt I needed when you asked Cormack if the thread would be saved when the archiving of the forum was being discussed recently.

There follows a few more French & Irish colours I’ve stumbled across over the past few months. These also include some from a mystery e-bayer who knew more about this thread than they let on – you know who you are !! I don’t !!!

Getting there slowly – what I need is some expertise in those countries especially for the 1920/30/40s.

French 1000 1910 VELLICA C Vagliano dark green buttercup yellow hoop armlets & cap

French 2000 1914 LISTMAN Léon Olry-Roederer dark blue amaranthus slvs black cap

French 2000 1925 FARAWAY Paul Moulines yellow red seams armlets and cap

French 2000 1927 FITERARI Paul Moulines yellow red seams armlets and cap

French 2000 1936 DAVOUT Stephane Vagliano pink white cap

French Derby 1891 ERMAK R De Monbel purple/red white cap

French Derby 1936 MIEUXCE Ernest Mazurel red green hoops on slvs

French Oaks 1899 GERMAINE W Carter yellow & black hoops black & gold cap

French Oaks 1914 ALERTE VI Léon Olry-Roederer dark blue amaranthus slvs black cap

French Oaks 1963 LA BELLE FERRONNIERE Mme H Herbaux orange maroon epaulettes & cap

French St Leger 1911 COMBOURG Frank Jay Gould black old gold braid and cap

French St Leger 1927 FITERARI Paul Moulines yellow red seams armlets and cap

Irish 2000 1953 SEA CHARGER Martin F Molony gold red hoop on body and slvs red cap

Irish St Leger 1953 SEA CHARGER Martin F Molony gold red hoop on body and slvs red cap

regards to all
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hello again guys! Yes, I had to ask Corm the question as this particular thread has become the stuff of legend – ENE mentions us all and his work on Wiki is phenomenal!

Newbury22
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9

I’m another big fan of jockeys colours, have been since I was a kid, great to see that I’m not alone.
    I have just completed a ‘results and jockeys colours’ blog that encompasses Australia’s four major Gr1 races (The Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup, W. S. Cox Plate and the Golden Slipper, as a bit of a challenge, I decided to throw-in the Kentucky Derby as well. I must say, the Kentucky Derby was more difficult than the other four put together, mainly the early years, from 1875 to about 1920. Owners in America tend to often change their colours or add variations to their original design, unlike here in Australia where owners colours rarely change. This meant that finding the colours of a certain Kentucky Derby winner’s owner didn’t necessarily mean that you’d found the colours the winner carried on Derby day. Because of this, I spent many hundreds of hours searching through old newspaper articles and form guides as well as pouring over old race programs on ebay and old photographs trying to match up the colours that were used at that particular time.
    As it stands, I’m sure that the information that I have posted in my blog is 99% correct. I originally thought that this would be an easy task, just use the official Kentucky Derby jockey silks pins that are for sale all over the internet as a guide. Not so. Most of the pins from the early years do not show the correct colours and/or designs.
    I still have a small amount of written work to do on the Australian races (Owners details and colours) but the Kentucky Derby page is complete.
    I would also like to eventually add a page with the record and colours of the ten greatest champions from Australia, Europe and the USA, I might need some help from you guys with the European top 10.
    I’ll keep you posted on that one.

My Blog address is http://thecoloursofhorseracing.blogspot.com.au/

Any comments, good or bad will be welcome.
    Cheers.

Participant
    • Total Posts 19

Hello all,
    I need some help with the colours of winners and placed hoses in the Irish 2000 Guineas.

In 1999 the race was won by Saffron Walden but Mrs Magnier had 3 runners so which colours did his jockey wear?
    Similarly in 2001, the 2nd (Mozart) and 3rd (Minardi) were both owned by Michael Tabor. Minardi appears to have worn the first choice colours, so what did Mozart’s jockey wear. In both cases I have a black and white photo in the Timeform annual, but can’t distinguish the colours, so am hoping someone has a racecard or other source.

Finally, in 1994 a 50/1 outsider, Guided Tour, finished 15 lengths second to Turtle Isalnd. He was owned by J A O’Gorman, but what colours did he wear?

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi ENE, was actually watching a Review of 1999 vhs tape this morning. Saffron Waldren carried the dark blue jacket , white & dark blue qtd cap. Will have a look for the others now.

Cheers I.

Viewing 17 posts - 613 through 629 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.