The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

another QM query. Hilly Way. I have the 1980 renewal on tape which he ran in an appeared to carry light blue, black hooped body and slvs, light blue cap. However I already had a set of colours for him as royal blue, white slvs, pink cap. Is that a conmplete red herring or did he change ownership?

Thanks in advance as always

• Total Posts 199
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Colours for 2012 2000 Guineas and Derby nominations.

http://www.timeform.com/godolphin/gd_en … cenumber=1

http://www.timeform.com/godolphin/gd_en … cenumber=1

Great find Slew – it always bugs me that the Racing Post only display colours at the 5 day stages. I wish they would put them in for their "Big Race Entries" section of the "Cards" tab. Interesting to see the Andrew Tinkler colours represented by a Warren Place inmate.

Seeing the famous Earl I Mack colours reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. Given that the colour/desgin choice is so limited in the UK, is there anything to stop a British owner registering their silks in a US state in order to take advantage of the greater choice in design over there? Or do you actually have to have a horse in training there to register silks?

• Total Posts 199

Letters and number designs are out in the UK. For example, Paul Mellon who raced the great Mill Reef had one set of colours in the UK (black, gold cross and stripe on cap) and his Rokeby Stable colours in the US (dark grey, yellow braids, sleeves and cap). Earle Mack’s colours of maroon, yellow rising sun are ever so slightly different in his home country (burgundy, yellow rising sun). As to the question of going to the US to register a different set of silks I couldn’t see why not. Funky colours in the US like electric blue, hot teal, flamingo pink are out in the UK. Sad really.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Re. Hilly Way. I read recently, courtesy of the excellent Grand National Anorak website, that Hilly Way was eventually bought by Pat O’Connor and ran in a couple of Tophams in the early 80s. That was 82 and 83 though, and while Pat’s colours were light blue with a black cap, I don’t know if he’d got him for the 1980 QM Champion Chase (which I haven’t seen). My instinct says not but I have no proof.

So, not very helpful, but maybe interesting!

On edit – it looks like Hilly Way was still trained by Peter McCreery when he ran in 1980 but no mention of the owner. Incidentally, he did also run in the QM Chase when under Pat O’Connor in 1982.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Re. Hilly Way. I read recently, courtesy of the excellent Grand National Anorak website, that Hilly Way was eventually bought by Pat O’Connor and ran in a couple of Tophams in the early 80s. That was 82 and 83 though, and while Pat’s colours were light blue with a black cap, I don’t know if he’d got him for the 1980 QM Champion Chase (which I haven’t seen). My instinct says not but I have no proof.

So, not very helpful, but maybe interesting!

On edit – it looks like Hilly Way was still trained by Peter McCreery when he ran in 1980 but no mention of the owner. Incidentally, he did also run in the QM Chase when under Pat O’Connor in 1982.

Thanks OA. Yes, unfortunately he was in different ownership at the time of his two QMs – Mr J Sweeney. So will just have to wait to see if a 1978 or 1979 QM racecard pops up on ebay! :(

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Couple more dredged up from the internet.

Belmont Stakes

1928 VITO Alfred H Cosden blue white sash & slvs red shoulder braces & cap

Irish 1000

1975 MIRALLA Lady Lister Kaye cerise black hoop on body

cheers
    I.

• Total Posts 199

One More for Washington DC International:
    1955 El Chama (Carlos V. Rincones): BLUE, WHITE CROSS SASHES, BLUE AND WHITE CAP

• Total Posts 89

Hi Ivanjica / Isinglass

don’t want to appear pedantic but my records for 1983 St James Palace winner Horage – A Rachid – have STARS (plural) on cap? Minor I know, but we all aim to be perfectionists don’t we!!

• Total Posts 89

Haven’t been on for a while, but still have a few gaps in Royal Ascot history if anyone is bored!!

1947 Ascot Gold Cup – Souverain – Mr F.-R. Schmitt
    1960 Coronation Stakes – Barbaresque – W. H. Guest
    1951 Coventry – King’s Bench – Mr A. Thompsett
    1984 Queen Alexandra – Erins Invader – H McCaffrey (also trainer)
    1983 " – Sandalay – G M Sumner
    1966 Queen Anne – Tesco Boy – J.E.Cohen
    1971 Ribblesdale – Fleet Wahine – R. Ohrstrom
    1973 " – Miss Petard – P.Williams
    1958 Hunt Cup – Amos – L Carver
    1954 " – Chivalry – Mr P. Hatvany

• Total Posts 199

1960 William H. Guest: Yellow, Chocolate Sleeves and Cap

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Here’s a few :–

1947 Ascot Gold Cup Souverain – Mr F.-R. Schmitt white dark blue star on body dark blue cap

1966 Queen Anne Tesco Boy – J.E.Cohen royal blue gold circle on body white slvs & hoop on blue cap

1958 Hunt Cup Amos – L Carver ( Mrs Leonard Carver ?? ) green white hoop & armlets

1954 Hunt Cup Chivalry – Mr P. Hatvany brown green stripes on body

cheers I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Another one :-

1971 Ribblesdale Fleet Wahine R Ohrstrom light blue black stripes on body black cap

Horage 1982 Gimcrack race card – STAR on cap , not plural

here’s some more Irish , French and American I’ve dredged from the internet.

Irish St Leger 1958 ROYAL HIGHWAY Mrs W Macauley green & white check white slvs & cap green peak & button

French Derby 1885 RELUISANT Marquis de Bouthillier sky blue pink cap

French 1000 1889 MAY POLE Baron de Soubeyran white & gold but carried white red cap gold tassel ( of Duc de Castries )

French St Leger 1903 TARQUATO TASSO J de Soukozanette black blue cap

French Oaks 1906 FLYING STAR L Merino cerise & yellow stripes

French Derby 1967 ASTEC Baron Louis de la Rochette red & blue quartered blue slvs & cap

Belmont Stakes 1868 GENERAL DUKE McConnell & Harness orange & black

Belmont Stakes 1890 BURLINGTON Hough Brothers cherry & white stripes cherry sash

Belmont Stakes 1892 PATRON Lewis Stuart orange red slvs

Belmont Stakes 1938 PASTEURIZED Carol Harriman Plunkett Stewart blue orange hoops qtd cap

Preakness Stakes 1914 HOLIDAY Mrs Archibald Barklie gold green sash & cap

cheers
    I.

• Total Posts 89

Thanks (again) guys for all the help – the power of combined forces demonstrated once again.

Sorry about the Horage confusion – just checked the 1982 Coventry racecard and you are absolutely right – my mistake!!

• Total Posts 199

FRENCH 2000 GUINEAS

2012 LUCAYAN (Ahmed Mouknass & Pandora Stud, LLC)
    GREEN, YELLOW STAR and ARMLETS, GREEN CAP, YELLOW STARS
    Verte une etoile et brass. jaunes t. verte etoiles jaunes

• Total Posts 199

FRENCH 1000 GUINEAS

2012 BEAUTY PARLOUR (Ecurie Wildenstein)
    BLUE, LIGHT BLUE CAP
    Bleue t. bleu-clair

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

another couple that were elusive :-

1983 Queen Alex……. Sandalay GM Sumner (Sting from the Police) yellow black striped slvs hooped cap

when he first started singing , wore a black & yellow striped jumper as a tribute to one of his musical heroes , who’s name I’ve forgotten , sorry – hence nickname Sting !

also , the last Arc winner that I struggled to find ..

1929 Arc Ortello black white seams black cap

google —- italian bred champions forum ortello

community.tvg site is interesting to look through

cheers
    I.

Viewing 17 posts - 477 through 493 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.