The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 456

I’m glad someone noticed the winning colours formerly owned by Lord Glanely.

In 1919 when he won the Derby he also won SEVEN races at Royal Ascot.

Will continue to save up for the horse first before getting into an argument about registering my colours.

cheers
    I.

• Total Posts 17

I am newbie from HK. I am very interested in the colour of the big race winners. And also, I always make the silk pictures. Here I attached one of them (Reliable Man-2011 French Derby Winner)for yours comment. Thanks.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/yazeer_dm/PridePrideRacingClub.gif

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Welcome Y.

I too "create" the silks for storing on a file – looks good when you see them on a page as opposed to lines in a book or on a spreadsheet ( although I keep those too ! )

cheers
    I.

• Total Posts 199

Found this on the France Galop website.

Evremond de Saint-Alary (1868-1941)
    One of the great French breeders, he first tasted victory at the age of twenty-three at Maisons-Lafitte on 24 April 1891 courtesy of Boabdil, a horse he had bought in a claiming race. In 1893, he purchased Omnium II at Deauville yearling sales, an acquisition that secured him seventeen victories, including the Prix du Jockey Club, the Prix Gladiateur and the Prix du Conseil Municipal twice. Evremond de Saint-Alary installed Omnium II at the Saint-Pair-du-Mont (Calvados) stud which he had bought after the death of its founder Léonce Delâtre. Unfortunately, this great champion died after just two years, but not before he had sired a pair of famous fillies, Kizil Kourgan (Prix de Diane, Grand Prix de Paris 1902) and Basse Terre, the dam of Basse Pointe (Prix du Conseil Municipal 1911) and Brûleur (Grand Prix de Paris 1913).

All of these horses bore the

colours (yellow and maroon-striped jersey and cap)

of ‘Evremond de Saint-Alary, as did Comrade (bought by him in England) winner of the Grand Prix de Paris in 1920 and of the first-ever running of Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. Other products of Evremond de Saint-Alary’s stables shone between the wars: Ksar (Prix du Jockey Club and Arc de Triomphe twice, in 1921 and 1922), Kantar (Arc de Triomphe 1928) and Le Ksar (Two Thousand Guineas 1937), all three of whom were sold by him. But several horses which he kept also distinguished themselves during this period, such as Kandy (One Thousand Guineas 1932), Samos (Arc de Triomphe 1935) and Porphyros (Prix du Conseil Municipal 1940).

Before his death, Evremond de Saint-Alary bequeathed the Saint-Pair-du-Mont stud farm to Mlle Frémont-Tousch. When she too passed away, it was acquired by Mme Jean Stern, whose husband already had some of his horses based there.

Jean de Ganay (1862-1948).
    Marquis de Ganay was one of France’s most widely respected race organisers. Elected as a deputy member of the Société d’Encouragement committee in 1902, he became a founder member in 1905 and carried out the commissioner’s role from 1903-1918. In 1933 he was awarded the presidency of the committee, a position he would hold until his death in 1948. Under his direction, and that of the team of commissioners in place at the time, the Société d’Encouragement were responsible for the transformation wrought on the Longchamp hippodrome during the winter of 1903-04, devising the first anti-doping controls (via saliva testing) in 1912, and the 1908 increase in prize money for the Grand Prix de Paris. The 300,000 French Francs on offer made it the most lucrative race around during the pre-First World War years.

Belonging to a family of renowned horsemen, Jean de Ganay (who became a Marquis upon his father’s death in May 1903) followed in the family tradition by serving time in the cavalry. In 1888, he declared his

colours (yellow jersey, green cap)

, and in the same year he acquired the horse Le Gourzy after a claiming race at Longchamp. Le Gourzy would go on to win its owner the Grande Course de Haies d’Auteuil in 1892. His colours would regularly be worn to victory thanks to horses of the calibre of Kerym (Prix Hocquart 1896), Eperon (Prix Morny 1900), Passaro (Prix Greffulhe 1901), Amer Picon (Prix Gladiateur 1902, 1903), Iermak (La Coupe 1904). Finally, in 1911 one of his horses would taste victory in one of France’s biggest races – As d’Atout winning the Grand Prix de Paris in 1911. As d’Atout was born on Ganay’s Rabey stud farm, at Quettehou in La Manche, where resided another magnificent animal, the stallion Le Sagittaire who champion dam sire in 1906.

Absent from hippodromes during the years separating the two world wars, the Marquis de Ganay’s colours made an unexpected yet remarkable return to the limelight in 1946 via Kerlor, who triumphed in the Grande Course de Haies d’Auteuil and the Grand Prix de Deauville. Having been adopted by his son, Comte François de Ganay, the colours were once more victorious thanks to the exertions of Rapace, winner of the 1955 Prix du Jockey Club.

Jean Prat (1847-1940).
    This race honours the memory of a famous figure on the French racing scene, Jean Prat. Elected to the Société d’Encouragement committee in 1903, he took on the role of commissioner from 1906-09 and from 1919-20. Perhaps his greatest service to the Société d’Encouragement came during the First World War. Deprived of funds from race takings, the Société gratefully accepted Jean Prat’s offer to loan them the sums needed to finance the “trials” that the Société was committed to organise during the period of 1916-18. Prat’s loan came with an interest rate of just 5%, although the races were run “without spectators or bookmakers”.

“ The loss of its most senior member has deprived the Société d’Encouragement of one of its most respected advisors. […] He was true to his word, a loyal friend, sincere and steadfast in his beliefs,” read the obituary notice published in the horse-racing journal La Veine on 6 January 1940.

The Marseilles-born industrialist, who owed his fortune to the famous Noilly-Prat vermouth, began his racing career in the South of France. He won his first race on 11 May 1868 at Angoulème with Adour. This horse went on to win a further five races at Avignon, Toulouse, Mont de Marsan and Bordeaux successively, winning twice in the space of three days at the latter course – the second (for gentleman-riders) while ridden by his owner. Prat’s first horse of real calibre was the filly Faisane, who in 1976 won four out of five races as a two-year-old. These victories came at Dieppe (Grand Critérium), Fontainebleau (Deuxième Critérium), Chantilly (Prix de la Salamandre) and Marseilles (Prix de la Ville). Having failed to win on any of her three run-outs as a three-year-old, Faisane hit the victory trail once more at four years of age, following up success at Chalon-sur-Saône by taking the Grand Prix de la Ville de Dieppe.

Once he had set-up his stable in the Paris area, initially in La Croix-Saint-Ouen, Jean Prat would see his

colours (brown jersey with orange sleeves, white cap)

go first past the post at the very highest level for half a century, often thanks to produce born in his stud farm at Lessard-le-Chêne near Lisieux. Chopine (Prix Greffulhe 1889), Nacelle (Omnium de 2 Ans 1895), Champignol (Prix Lupin, 2nd Prix du Jockey Club 1896), Chambertin born in 1894 (Prix Royal Oak, Prix du Cadran), Clairette (Omnium de 2 Ans 1899), Mirska (Oaks at Epsom 1912) and Cadet Roussel III (Prix des Sablons 1912) were his finest horses prior to the First World War. At the time of that conflict, Prat’s horse Montmartin proved himself to be the finest of the generation born in 1915 by winning the biggest races of the period. The following animals would also distinguish themselves: Galéjade (Poule d’Essai 1919), Macaroni (Prix du Président de la République 1933), Rénette (Prix d’Ispahan (1935, 1936), Sylvanire (2nd, Prix de Diane 1937) as well as two specimens acquired at public sale, Drap d’Or and Gaspillage, both of whom won the Poule d’Essai des Poulains (1937, 1938). Jean Prat’s last great horse was Maurepas (also purchased as a yearling at public sale), who at two-years-old won the Prix La Flèche at Tremblay on 31 July 1939. After his owner’s passing on January 1940, Maurepas would continue racing under the ownership of the Vicomtesse Vigier, who inherited Jean Prat’s colours and breeding stock. Maurepas would develop into one of the finest horses of his generation, as would Magister, born at Lessard-le-Chêne in 1939, who took the honours at the 1942 Prix du Jockey Club and Grand Prix de Paris – two races that Prat had coveted above all.

Marcel Boussac (1889-1980).
    A leading figure from the textile industry, he was also one of the most prominent personalities on the French thoroughbred racing and breeding scene as a breeder, owner and administrator.

In 1919, immediately after the First World War, he set up an important racing stable – the

colours of which were orange jersey, grey cap

– and installed his breeding stock in the Orne at the Fresnay-le-Buffard stud farm, not far from Argentan. Success was quick in coming, with the early high point the 1922 victory of his horse Ramus in the Prix du Jockey Club. Marcel Boussac would go on to win this highest accolade among breeders another eleven times, his twelfth winner being Acamas in 1978. This constitutes the record for an owner, as does the six victories achieved by his horses in the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe, another flagship event of the French racing programme.

Marcel Boussac’s crack horses included Tourbillon (1928), Corrida (1932), Pharis (1936), Djebel (1937), Marsyas (1940), Ardan (1941), Coaraze (1942), Caracalla (1942), Arbar (1944), Ambiorix (1946), Coronation (1946), Scratch (1947), Auriban (1949) and Apollonia (1953). In 1950, Boussac tasted glory in the English Derby with his protégé Galcador. One of his friends is said to have commented, "It is easier to become a billionaire than to win the English Derby. Marcel Boussac has done both." During the Second World War, his burgeoning stock led him to add the second, Jardy stud farm to his portfolio (at Marnes-la-Coquette, near Versailles), which he bought from the heirs of his mentor, Edmond Blanc, himself one of the greatest owner-breeders of the early part of the century.

A summary of the French racing honours won by Marcel Boussac’s horses – limited here to Group I races – is included below. The name of each race is followed by the number of victories, with an “R” signifying that this number constitutes the record for the event. Arc de Triomphe 6R, Cadran 8, Critérium de Saint-Cloud 1, Diane 5, Forêt 9R, Ganay 6R, Grand Critérium 8R, Grand Prix de Paris 2, Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud 5R, Ispahan 8, Jacques Le Marois 10R, Jean Prat 4, Jockey Club 12R, Lupin 7R, Morny 13R, Poule d’Essai des Poulains 1, Poule d’Essai des Pouliches 9R, Royal Oak 4, Vermeille 7R.

Vicomtesse Vigier (1869-1970)
    Born Madeleine Double de Saint-Lambert, Vicomtesse Vigier was the niece of the leading breeder, Jean Prat. Upon his death in early 1940, she inherited his stable. Before long, the

colours of Vicomtesse Vigier (brown jersey, orange sleeves, white cap)

shone courtesy of Maurepas (Prix du Cadran and Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud 1941), Mascotte (2nd in the 1941 Prix Vermeille), Rengaine (Prix de Pomone 1942) and Magister, who did the Jockey Club-Grand Prix de Paris double in 1942. All three were trained by Charles Defeyer. After becoming owner of the Lessard-le-Chêne stud farm, Vicomtesse Vigier bred several good performers there who, then entrusted to Richard Carver senior, ensured her colours kept flying high on French racecourses. These included Musette (1946, seven wins, Prix de Minerve, 2nd in Prix Morny, 3rd in Poule d’Essai, Prix de Diane), Rancio (1946, Prix Noailles, 2nd in Prix Greffulhe), Neda (1947, Prix de Malleret), Siva (1955, Prix Boïard) and Seddouk (1956, Prix Berteux, 3rd in Prix Hocquart).

Vicomtesse Vigier’s memory remains associated with the ceremony held on 14 September 1969 at Longchamp in celebration of her 100th birthday. Sharp and stylish, she received a bouquet of flowers from the hands of ‘Yves Saint-Martin, while the chairman of French racing’s governing body, Marcel Boussac, presented her with a cup and 2 three-stemmed chandeliers. On this historic day, the meeting’s showpiece event, the Prix de la Salamandre, temporarily took on the name of the "Prix du centième anniversaire de Madame la Vicomtesse Vigier".

A few months later, in January 1970, Vicomtesse Vigier passed away in her 101st year. The last horse to carry her colours to victory had been Lampire, trained by Edouard Bartholomew, a winner in the Prix de Compiègne at Le Touquet on 13 July 1969.

• Total Posts 17

Slewman

Hope this useful for you

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/yazeer_dm/FrenchOwner1.gif

• Total Posts 199

Hi Yaz, welcome aboard.
    Just to let you know, Evremond de St Alary silks were maroon and yellow (VERTICAL) stripes and striped cap. Thanks for the effort on those silks by the way.
    Cheers
    :D

• Total Posts 199

1966 Epsom Derby racecard. Charlottown the winner.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho … 0&format=0

• Total Posts 17

Slewman

The modified one is attached

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/yazeer_dm/OldSilk2.gif

• Total Posts 199

1969 Epsom Oaks racecard. Sleeping Partner the winner.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho … 0&format=0

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

As for Mr Gibson taking over the silks I believe that silks that belonged to very successful owner of the past should be put in a museum and barred. In France you cannot use the Marcel Boussac silks (orange, grey cap) or the Jean Ternynk silks (Green, black cap). Those colours are not available to owners registering silks. Good idea I think. Will we ever see the old Aga Khan’s green and chocolate hoops on a racetrack again owned by a John Citizen?? Hope not.

looks like his grandson….

“This has been a lucky race for me as I won it twice with Bishop of Cashel (1994 and 1995), who loved soft ground and this fellow is a different horse when he can get his toe in,” said James Fanshawe after Polar Ben had taken the Group 111 GNER Park Stakes in a driving finish with With Reason and Tarjman.

“He was a bit unlucky at Newmarket last time and for a long time I thought he would not get a run here,” said Fanshawe. “But he is as tough as nails and deserved to win that race. He gets a mile but I do not know what we will do with him next.

“His owner, Simon Gibson, comes from a family which has had a lot of winners over the years and his grandfather, Lord Glanely, owned the only Derby winner to be trained at my yard. That was Grand Parade, who was trained by Frank Barling and won the Derby in 1919, ridden by Fred Templeman.

“Another member of the family was David Gibson, who rode a lot of jumping winners as an amateur, including three Grand Military Gold Cups on Klaxon.”

Great research as always IDB, thanks for that. I was thinking the other day we should come up with a fantasy "Classic Winners – Owners Colours thread" set of silks which we all agree with and which our horse would carry were we to jointly own an animal.

Maybe the best way to begin the process would be if we all stated the favourite colour(s) we would want in a set of silks.

Mine would be navy blue.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Slewman

Hi Yaz, welcome to the thread. Out of interest what programme are you using to create the colours? I laboriously use the allertons site and then a combination of "paint" and "photoshop" for my records. Yours seems more straightforward? Though I notice the peaks are blank on yours as with the allertons versinon the BHB owners site.

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/colours/default.asp

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

With the running of the Eclipse today I went back through my 10f Gp 1s only to find I have a glaring ommission in the York Internatinal namely 1981 winner Beldale Flutter owned by an A J Kelly (also won 1980 Futurity). Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

• Total Posts 17

Slewman

Hi Yaz, welcome to the thread. Out of interest what programme are you using to create the colours? I laboriously use the allertons site and then a combination of "paint" and "photoshop" for my records. Yours seems more straightforward? Though I notice the peaks are blank on yours as with the allertons versinon the BHB owners site.

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/colours/default.asp

Ivanjica
    The sample I use is based on those used by Hong Kong Jockey Club, I adopted the plain silk and modified and edit by "photoimpact." The attachment I make is putting picture into Excel/word and type the words needed, then cap into a picture.

• Total Posts 199

For your records Ivanjica :D

JUDDMONTE INTERNATIONAL at YORK (2000m, G1)

2010 RIP VAN WINKLE (Mrs J. Magnier, M. Tabor)
    DARK BLUE, DARK BLUE CAP

2009 SEA THE STARS (Christopher Tsui)
    YELLOW, PURPLE CAP, YELLOW STAR

2008 DUKE OF MARMALADE (Mrs J. Magnier, M. Tabor)
    DARK BLUE, DARK BLUE CAP

2007 AUTHORIZED (Saleh Al Homaizi, Imad Al Sagar)
    DARK GREEN, BEIGE STARS ON SLEEVES

2006 NOTNOWCATO (Anthony & David de Rothschild)
    DARK BLUE, YELLOW DISC, YELLOW CAP

2005 ELECTROCUTIONIST (Earle I. Mack)
    BURGUNDY, YELLOW RISING SUN

2004 SULAMANI (Godolphin)
    ROYAL BLUE, ROYAL BLUE CAP

2003 FALBRAV (Scuderia Rencati Srl, T. Yoshida)
    LIGHT BLUE, YELLOW HOOP and ARMLETS, YELLOW CAP, LIGHT BLUE DIAMOND

2002 NAYEF (Hamdan Al Maktoum)
    ROYAL BLUE, WHITE EPAULETS, STRIPED CAP

2001 SAKHEE (Godolphin)

2000 GIANT’S CAUSEWAY (Mrs J. Magnier, M. Tabor)
    DARK BLUE, DARK BLUE CAP

1999 ROYAL ANTHEM (Thoroughbred Corporation)
    LIGHT GREEN and WHITE STRIPES, LIGHT GREEN CAP

1998 ONE SO WONDERFUL (Helena Springfield Ltd)
    BLACK, WHITE SPOTS on BODY, WHITE CAP

1997 SINGSPIEL (Sheikh Mohammed)
    MAROON, WHITE SLEEVES, MAROON CAP, WHITE STAR

1996 HALLING (Godolphin)

1995 HALLING (Godolphin)

1994 EZZOUD (Maktoum Al Maktoum)
    ROYAL BLUE, WHITE CHEVRON, LIGHT BLUE CAP

1993 EZZOUD (Maktoum Al Maktoum)
    ROYAL BLUE, WHITE CHEVRON, LIGHT BLUE CAP

1992 RODRIGO DE TRIANO (Robert Sangster)
    EMERALD GREEN, ROYAL BLUE SLEEVES, WHITE CAP, GREEN SPOTS

1991 TERIMON (Lady Beaverbrook)
    BEAVER BROWN, MAPLE LEAF GREEN CROSS BELTS AND CAP

1990 IN THE GROOVE (Brian Cooper)
    GREY and MAROON VERTICAL HALVED, SLEEVES REVERSED, QUARTERED CAP

1989 ILE DE CHYPRE (Athos Christodoulou)
    ORANGE, MAROON DISC, MAROON CAP

1988 SHADY HEIGHTS (George Tong)
    DARK BLUE, YELLOW HOOPED SLEEVES and SPOTS on CAP

1987 TRIPTYCH (Alan Clore)
    LIGHT BLUE, MAUVE HALVED SLEEVES

1986 SHARDARI (H.H. Aga Khan)
    GREEN, RED EPAULETS, GREEN CAP

1985 COMMANCHE RUN (Ivan Allan)
    RED, LIGHT BLUE CHEVRONS on body, RED CAP

1984 CORMORANT WOOD (R.J. McAlpine)
    McALPINE TARTAN, YELLOW SLEEVES, YELLOW and GREEN QUARTERED CAP

1983 CAERLEON (Robert Sangster)

1982 ASSERT (Robert Sangster)

1981 BELDALE FLUTTER (A.J. Kelly)
    YELLOW, BLACK SLEEVES, YELLOW and LIGHT BLUE QUARTERED CAP

1980 MASTER WILLIE (William Barnett)
    CHERRY, BLACK SASH, PRIMROSE and WHITE QUARTERED CAP

1979 TROY (Sir Michael Sobell / Sir Arnold Weinstock)
    PALE BLUE, YELLOW and WHITE CHECK CAP

1978 HAWAIIAN SOUND (Robert Sangster)

1977 RELKINO (Lady Beaverbrook)
    BEAVER BROWN, MAPLE LEAF GREEN CROSS BELTS AND CAP

1976 WOLLOW (Carlo d’Alessio)
    RED and WHITE HOOPS, GREEN SLEEVES, RED CAP

1975 DAHLIA (Nelson Bunker Hunt)
    LIGHT and DARK GREEN CHECKS, LIGHT GREEN SLEEVES, WHITE CAP

1974 DAHLIA (Nelson Bunker Hunt)
    LIGHT and DARK GREEN CHECKS, LIGHT GREEN SLEEVES, WHITE CAP

1973 MOULTON (R.B. ‘Budgie’ Moller)
    CHOCOLATE, GOLD BRAIDS, GOLD SLEEVES, QUARTERED CAP

1972 ROBERTO (John W. Galbreath)
    FAWN, BROWN SLEEVES, QUARTERED CAP, BROWN POMPOM

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Thanks Slewman, typically excellent effort!

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi All ,

Got a few missing ones from the American Triple Crown races :-

Belmont Stks 1867 Ruthless Frank Morris yellow white slvs qtd cap

Belmont Stks 1900 Ildrim H Eugene Leigh blue & white stripes

Belmont Stks 1914 Luke McLuke John W Schorr orange black slvs white cap

Kentucky Derby 1892 Azra Bashford Manor Stable ( Long ) peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Kentucky Derby 1894 Chant Leigh & Rose blue & white stripes

Kentucky Derby 1906 Sir Huon Bashford Manor Stable ( Long ) peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Peakness Stks 1900 Hindus J Long peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Used the following links to get some 1897 listing of Western Owners Colors ( why lose the “u” ?? ) – Enjoy

http://kdl.kyvl.org/cgi/t/text/pageview … assterms=1

Cheers
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi All ,

Got a few missing ones from the American Triple Crown races :-

Belmont Stks 1867 Ruthless Frank Morris yellow white slvs qtd cap

Belmont Stks 1900 Ildrim H Eugene Leigh blue & white stripes

Belmont Stks 1914 Luke McLuke John W Schorr orange black slvs white cap

Kentucky Derby 1892 Azra Bashford Manor Stable ( Long ) peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Kentucky Derby 1894 Chant Leigh & Rose blue & white stripes

Kentucky Derby 1906 Sir Huon Bashford Manor Stable ( Long ) peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Peakness Stks 1900 Hindus J Long peacock blue yellow sash & cap

Used the following links to get some 1897 listing of Western Owners Colors ( why lose the “u” ?? ) – Enjoy

Cheers
    I.

Viewing 17 posts - 392 through 408 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.