The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Home Forums Horse Racing Classic Winners – Owners Colours

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 641 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 817

A late xmas preset guys.

Bought the 70th Aniiversary Arc magazine which includes a caricature by Pierre Bellocq of selected winning jockeys in their silks.

1925 – Priori – White, Black Seams, White Slvs, Black Cap

1928 – Kantar – Black, Cherry Cap (the Ogden Phipps colours most associated with Buckpasser, Easy Goer and Personal Ensign. I had then as Yellow, Purple Slvs and Cap for some reason?)

1930/32 – Mortico – White, Red Spots, Red Slvs, White Cap

1954 – Sica Boy – Green, White Slvs, Green Armlets, White Cap

Btw he gives the all gold of Vaguely Noble in 1968 a gold braid. and he has Brantome as the Blue Yellow Cap version of the rothschild silks (no yellow hoops??). Also Sassafras had a light blue cap – I was always under the misconception it also had the red spots.

In addition a painting of 1941 La Pacha appears and the colours seem to be white, green hoop, white slvs and cap.

Finally is it safe to assume the 1924 winner’s owner Henry Ternynck was related to Jean Ternynck (Sea Bird II)and perhaps had the same colours?

• Total Posts 199

Ivanjica, take a bow. Great stuff. I think with all those we have close to all the Arc winners since its inception. You’re right. I found a JPEG in my files of the 1935 Ascot Gold Cup where Brantome ran with BLUE and YELLOW HOOPS, YELLOW CAP. With Vaguely Noble, I have a JPEG of the 1972 Arc won by San San and Mrs Wilma Franklyn, owner of Vaguely Noble, had a horse in the field. Its description was VIEIL-OR, et BRANDEBOURGS, TOQUE VIEIL-OR. I know brandebourgs is French for braid and OR in French is gold. So could it be Gold, with braid, gold cap ???? I’d go close to say Henry Ternynck was the father of Jean. We know Sea Bird’s colours were Green jacket, black cap as France Galop describes Ternynck’s colours as Vert, toque noir. Merry Xmas

• Total Posts 89

Great stuff Ivanjica,

still not sure about Wilma Franklyn’s colours – Gold with gold braid? or maybe the french bit is old gold braid?

Think we’re still missing Molvedo 1961 and Oroso 1957 unless of course anyone knows different!!

Merry Christmas

BTW Ivanjica – where did you get the 70th anniversary magazine?

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hope you had a great xmas guys – pity about Kauto’s bid for immortality being put off till January but so be it.

Thanks for the feedback. Ile De Bourbon, I came across the Arc 70th Anniversary brochure in a brilliant shop in Newport Pagnell called "Ken’s Paper Collectables" run by a charming elderly north east of england gentleman. The missus had seen it ages ago but she finally got me there on Xmas eve as she had an emergency dentist appointment there!

If you’re interested his website is http://www.kens.co.uk, however following a quick browse couldn’t see any of his horse racing stuff on there. Most of the racecards he had were mid-1980s to the present, and a lot of then were standard midweek mettings both codes. Though I did also help myself to Reference Points Eclipse racecard which was a race very dear to my heart – had my first big bet on the Point and would win the money back three weeks later in the King George. Also picked up the 1989 Breeders Cup racecard which was nice!

On a separate note I have noticed that a lot of racecards and books show Paul Mellons US colours (registered as Rokeby Farms) to be simply grey, primrose yellow sleeves and cap. However if you look at the youtube footage of Kelso’s 1964 Woodward, it is clear from Quadrangle’s jockey’s silks at 2:02 mins into the video that there is clearly a braid on the chest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQ97itP … re=related.

There is also a set on display at the Kentucky Derby Museum in respect of the 1992 Derby victor Sea Hero which include a braid.

BTW realised I got the yellow/purple version of the Phipps colours which I had originally attributed to 1928 Arc Winner Kantar via Bold Ruler and his owner the Gladys Mills Phipps owned Wheatley Stable – see wiki page and photo:
    http://www.championsgallery.com/Racepho … 000005.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bold_Ruler

I am guessing the black and cherry silks must have been first registered by Ogden Mills who bequeathed them to Ogden Phipps, whilst the Wheatley Stable (which he co-owned with his sister) adopted the yellow and purple silks?

• Total Posts 199

Hi Ivanjica. Paul Mellon’s US silks were Dark Grey, Yellow Braid, Yellow Sleeves and Cap (he raced many champions like Quadrangle, Arts And Letters in those silks). Obviously you know his UK colours as Black, Gold Cross and Stripe on Cap (eg: Mill Reef).
    As for the Ogden Mills silks, it quite possibly could of been the Black, Cherry Cap silks that Ogden Phipps and his son have used in the USA over the past 80 years.
    But I notice that Ogden Phipps raced a very smart horse in England in the early 1980’s named Posse, trained by John Dunlop, who I think won a St James’ Palace Stakes.
    I have an old Ascot racecard which shows Posse raced in Black, Red Sleeves, Black Cap with Red Spots. He also raced English 1000 Guineas winner in 1982 (I think) Quick As Lightning in the same colours.
    He also raced a horse in Ireland called Boucher who won the 1972 English St Leger for Vincent O’Brien and he raced in Black, Red Striped Cap.
    So what I am trying to say is each country have their own guidelines and rules for racing colours.
    So what colours he raced under in England and France could be entirely different to the silks registered in the USA.

• Total Posts 199

I found this story on the Daily Mail website. It’s an amazing read on the life and times of Dorothy Paget, owner of 1943 Epsom Derby winner Straight Deal and champion jumper Golden Miller. It’s worth having a read. You will truly be amazed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic … -turf.html

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Excellent article Slewman and happy new year to you.

Interesting that she was William Collins Whitney’s grand daughter, as he inaugurated the light blue silks that her formerly owned Ballymacoll stud now carry (albeit with a different cap). An interesting co-incidence.

I have been getting frustrated by some contradictory information regarding the 5th Earl of Jersey’s colours. Raciana suggests his colours at the time of his sequence of 4 straight guineas 1834-1837 were Dark blue, buff stripe, black cap, and yet paintings of Bay Middleton (see link below) seem to suggest the colours were stipes rather than a single stripe.

However the actual racecard for the 1928 Derby (a recent sale on Ebay) stated Ld Jersey as "Dark Blue, Buff Stripe"

Who should we believe?

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&ex … 59&bih=866

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Just found an ommission in our Arc list – 1929 Ortello, owned by Giuseppe del Montel. Any ideas anyone?

Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Re Dorothy Paget.

The assertion in the Daily Mail’s piece about Dorothy Paget not liking any male is well made but may not be entirely correct.

According to The Peerage web site, she had a son born to her, Anthony Paul Paget, on the 18th Jan 1941, the fathers name not stated. If correct, then there was at least one male who impressed her enough for the end result to be recorded in The Peerage and elsewhere, presumably in a registry office somewhere and also Somerset House.

I suppose the real scoop would be for the author of the piece to do a bit more homework and inform us who on earth the bold father could possibly have been.

Whoever he was, he could have been a very lucky man but, more likely, would have been a brave man to have managed such a feat from such an unlikely and unwilling participant.

For those sufficiently interested in The Peerage entry here’s a link http://thepeerage.com/p875.htm#i8741

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I was searching through some Breeders Cup programmes and Youtube footage last night to find that Eugene V Klein’s colours varied immensely from year to year in the late 80’s. They started out with a blue yoke, and yellow chevrons on the blue sleeves, with a blue lightening bolt on the body.

Soon the blue yoke disappeared and the chevrons on the sleeves were replaced by small lightening bolts. Then I found some footage of winning colours with no lightening bolt on the front body at all – rather it seemed to be on the back.

1988 BC Juvenile winner Is It True’s cap is yellow with a lightening bolt, blue band on the base and peak.

I wonder why he kept changing them?

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

I have stumbled on the colours of C J Lefevre which are registered as simply blue white and red, blue cap. Is there any pictorial evidence showing how the colours are laid out – are they for instance vertical bars as in the frencg flag or horizontal similare to those carried by Quare Times.

He owned horses such as Archiduc (Cadran/Royal Oak 1885/4), Regain (1884 Cadran) and Beauminet (1880 Royal Oak)the latter running under the Haras de Chamant title.

I am sure there are paintings somehere, just a question of locating them!

Participant
    • Total Posts 456

Hi Ivanjica

They’re horizontal hoops – for proof take a convoluted trip via google land:

Worldwide google search use the following :-

Caps and jackets owners pd729384

Should show a link to "photographers direct". Click on that and you should get a preview of an old pullout from the Illustrated London News from way back – actually four in the set ( if you google again without the pd……….. you will be able to click on a link to the others .)

A bit small to look at but LeFevre is bottom right of the first screen. Search the net for better views at a later date – worth it.

Cheers
    I.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Superb Isinglass. Utter class as always! They are in effect the inverse of Quare Times’ I think?

BTW, noticing your avatar reminded me to ask about the McAlmont silks. Did we ever get agreement on whether they are quarters or halved and in what sequence do the sleeves follow suit? I found a cigarette card which indicated they were quartered sleeves as well as body… http://www.concerttee.com/posters/poste … em=6776288

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hi again fellow colours sleuths.

I have stumbled on a gap,namely 1953 Coronation Cup winner Zucchero (owner George Rolls). B&W pictures found with Google show dark colour with white sash, collar cuffs and cap.

Many thanks in advance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 817

Hi Ivanjica

They’re horizontal hoops – for proof take a convoluted trip via google land:

I.

How’s this for a coincidence. I switched on RUK earlier to see a recording of today’s Prix Rene Sirvain, and would you believe it the horse named Situpassabrion wore the Lefevre jacket, but with a red cap. Nowadays it is registered to Baron Philippe Reille. I haven’t found any link to the two gentlemen yet but shall keep digging.

It is days like this which really make this thread so worthwhile!

• Total Posts 199

Hi Ivanjica
    Back to Eugene Klein’s silks, he had different sets of silks in different states, The state of California and the state of New York.

• Total Posts 199

Hi Ivanjica, when it comes to caps I think the Americans aren’t so worried.

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 641 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.