Chester Cup 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Chester Cup 2016

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

Anybody have any thoughts on the Chester Cup ?

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

I have backed MOONRISE LANDING and LE MAITRE CHAT.

Both at 16/1.

Admittedly MOONRISE LANDING is drawn in the car park but I feel the horse is a very promising stayer and considering it is a stayer it has a nice turn of foot which will bode well when they hit the short straight here.

LE MAITRE CHAT ran a terrific race in the Ces last year and has had one run since and that was behind the above mentioned when to be honest the horse was never put in the race.

The only other one I might be interested in is NO HERETIC who ran well at Ascot last year and looks a thorough stayer.

Views??

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

Had a quick look at it yesterday Raymo, the one that caught my eye was SILVER CONCORDE.
    There was plenty of 10/1 about, I thought I’d wait till I got back home after my travels,
    and have a good look through them all before I went in. Well I’m back in God’s country now,
    and the 10s has well and truly disappeared. I had a bet on him at Cheltenham in the Supreme
    Novices, but he was really disappointing. Nonetheless he has some serious flat form winning
    the Champion Bumper at Cheltenham 2 years ago and more recently the November Handicap at
    Leopardstown last October.

He might be nearly the oldest horse in the race at 8, English Summer holds that dubious
    honour at 9, but there’s not a lot of mileage on the clock. He’s as low as 7/1 but Paddy
    Power and Willie Hill are still standing 9/1, so I’m having some of that before it disappears.

I completely agree with you on Ralph Beckett’s MOONRISE LANDING Raymo, and if he wasn’t
    drawn in the “coffin stall” (19 of 19) I would be all over him like a rash at 16/1. He has done nothing
    but improve and has some seriously good form, having won 4 on the bounce and looks to have improved a
    lot upped in distance.

The handicapper has raised him 20lbs for that since last October, but it’s well deserved. I still
    think he is well weighted and he’s going to be a big player in the top 2m+ races this year. It’s
    only the draw that puts me off having a decent bet on him. I can still see him running a good
    race and a place isn’t out of the question. They are only going 4 places at the moment, but a few
    will surely up that on the day . I don’t see money pouring on him before Wednesday, because of the
    draw, so I’ll wait and have a bit of e/w on the day if he’s still around those odds.

Best of luck with both of yours Raymo, definitely in with a serious shout :good:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

Had a quick look at the runners Raymo and I would definitely be with you on NO HERETIC to be in with a good chance currently around 14/1 and drawn 4.

Formerly trained by David Simcock on the flat he had been off the course for two and a half years before coming back and running in a 2 Mile Novice Hurdle Class 4 running for the first time for Nicky Henderson…he made a good show making headway in the race before making a mistake 3 out he recovered to finish 3rd (just missing out on 2nd place).

Only negatives might be his age (8) and the going..but with a nice little prep race in hand over hurdles he has the credentials to win this.

Good luck Raymo and BigG..great summing up..maybe an olden will win it this year even though the odds are against it with a long lay off under his belt No Heretic might roll back the years and win doing handsprings.Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

Beckett has withdrawn Moonrise. I wonder if he had an excuse readied up because it is badly drawn LOL Far be it for me to think such a thing.

As I was on NRNB at least I could have me Moonrise money on NO HERETIC now!!

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

Beckett has withdrawn Moonrise. I wonder if he had an excuse readied up because it is badly drawn LOL Far be it for me to think such a thing.

As I was on NRNB at least I could have me Moonrise money on NO HERETIC now!!

I think it could have been a blessing in disguise Raymo, he is a class animal but
    I really was not keen betting him, simply because of the draw. No Heratic from stall
    4 looks a better proposition. I see he has been well backed, I hope you maybe caught
    some of the 20s, he’s down as low as 10 in 1 place, but a couple of 16s still
    available.

I’ve still only bet Silver Concorde at this time, I’ll probably wait till tomorrow
    morning when some prices can get pushed out a bit, I think GANG WARFARE is an
    interesting runner although whether he’s up to this off a career high mark, up 9lbs
    for his last win in a good handicap at Wolverhampton, is open to question. He’s
    certainly progressive, and as they say, could be anything.

Best of luck

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

I made a promise to myself that I would follow Simon Crisford this season and so far not too good with First Selection in the 2000 Guineas, although he made a good show of it to the bushes and then faded. So I’ve had a little on Gang Warfare although I think 9.12 is a monster weight to carry but he’s done it before and as you say he could be anything.
    Good luck with Silver Concorde will be cheering him home for you along with Raymo’s Le Maitre Chat if No Heretic and Gang Warfare fail to make the grade… :good: Jac

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20808

Quick Jack interests me, drawn 16 but I’d have thought they will drop him out near the back anyway let them go a clip and take them one by one unless he’s out for the run then he’ll go forward and get trapped wide. I’ll set up a bet on betfair and play or pass when the gates open. It will have to be quick as I don’t finish work till 3 so might have to knock off a minute early.
    bloody work.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8280

I did Gang Warfare at 12/1. He’s improved two stone and more since joining Simon Crisford.

I have put a small bet on him for the Ascot Gold Cup at 66/1. Anyone thinking that it is a ridiculous bet probably has a point but it should be noted that Trip To Paris won the Chester Cup last year when rated 9lbs lower than Gang Warfare is at the moment.

You never know for a couple of quid.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

I did Gang Warfare at 12/1. He’s improved two stone and more since joining Simon Crisford.

I have put a small bet on him for the Ascot Gold Cup at 66/1. Anyone thinking that it is a ridiculous bet probably has a point but it should be noted that Trip To Paris won the Chester Cup last year when rated 9lbs lower than Gang Warfare is at the moment.

You never know for a couple of quid.

It’s maybe asking a lot Steve (Ascot Gold Cup) but I don’t think it’s ridiculous at all.
    As I said earlier, he’s an interesting horse who’s progressing at a rate of knots and
    could be anything. We’re going to know more after the race, but if he is as good as you
    I and Jac hope, you would have a snowball’s chance of finding 66/1 after it’s run.

Jac, I think you’re right that Simon Crisford is one that you want to stay on the right
    side of this season, he’s very liable to pick up some decent prizes. I’m going to row in
    with you and Steve on GANG WARFARE, there’s still 12/1 in quite a few places, I’m going
    to watch early morning in case any of the firms drift him out to 14s, but I’ll grab the
    12s if they appear to be disappearing.

Steve, there’s not a lot to lose by taking the 66s in the Gold Cup, so I’ve taken it with
    Skybet as they are the only firm offering that price. Thanks for the heads up with that :good:

Lets hope that one of us gets a winner :good:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5485

Am with you big g on silver concorde just see race this morning i did

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5939

wow!!!…..well done Raymo and Jac, brilliant punting :yahoo:

I wished the pace had been a bit stronger for Silver Concorde, he
    finished like a train, but no doubt the winner deserved it. Well
    done guys :good:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

Thanks Big G :good:

And well done Jac :good: :good: Cakes are on you!!

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4514

Mrsraymo backed Silver Concorde G and like you say a long way back off a slow pace!!

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

Thanks BigG I was jumping up and down shouting him home my hubs thought I’d gone mad…LOL What a great training performance by Nicky Henderson and what a lovely horse No Heretic is..one of the oldest to win this in many years.
    Great run by Silver Concorde in 3rd Graham and well done to MrsRaymo too and Raymo of course for backing the winner. B-)
    I’m in Costa Coffee at the moment so come along…cakes are on me guys… :yahoo:

BigG..meant to say thought the Crisford camp were very upbeat about Gang Warfare today and it was probably the huge weight that stopped him.
    Good luck with your Gold Cup 66/1 with Mr. Caution. I backed Trip to Paris in both last year and as Steve says he is better in at the weights than him so fingers crossed. I wonder if No Heretic might get a late entry for that race, nothing to lose as he is a gelding and quite honestly I think he would be best kept to the flat, would love to see him turn out at Newmarket for the Cesarwitch at the end of the season.

Raymo..I hope you had a really good bet on NO HERETIC, I got in at 14/1…if you hadn’t started this thread I doubt I would have got down to study the form as much as I did and that’s when No Heretic stood out on that prep run over hurdles..so a big thank you and make sure you flag up some more big races for the future that we can all mull over together, we managed to find the 1st and 3rd in a tricky race so make a date for the next big race discussion. :good: Jac

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.