The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Viewing 14 posts - 324 through 337 (of 337 total)
  • Author
    Nijinsky70
    • Total Posts 17

Where was Joncol this year? I watched the Paul Nolan thing on BBC4 which was great but didn’t see an entry for him

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Where was Joncol this year? I watched the Paul Nolan thing on BBC4 which was great but didn’t see an entry for him

He decided the horse wasn’t ready for Cheltenham this year.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

I really liked Weapons Amnesty’s performance. Mind, I also liked him last year!

He has the advantage of having really stepped up his game twice for the event now. For whatever reason, he’s a horse that Cheltenham suits, and I reckon that’s invaluable. Felt the same about Hardy Eustace when I was mocked (YES! MOCKED!!!:lol:) for making him my nap of the week in 2004.

Not saying that he’s a Hardy, but he’s a lovely horse and he won very nicely. Assuming the RSA "curse" doesn’t strike, I’d expect a bold show from him next year – hopefully at a silly price.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I did watch the DVD again and it made for interesting viewing.

Sure, if KS had not made those mistakes he may have won, but not IMHO. Even so he appeared to be cantering just behind the leader before the mistake that told us nothing.

He would have been taken out of his comfort zone by two horses that are better suited to the rigours of the Gold Cup.

By that I mean, in a lesser Gold Cup KS can look supreme but when it is as tough as it was yesterday, then he is beatable as the conditions of the race stretch him as it is.

How can anyone say Cheltenham suits him better than Kempton over 3 miles?

He is practically unbeatable at Kempton, but not Cheltenham. End of.

I do not think 2007 was as strong a race as 2010.

I do think he will be back and I can deffo see him being placed in the 2011 Gold Cup, and maybe winning. He will have to surpass all his other GC efforts to beat IC though, and is that really possible with another year on his back?

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 2264

weapons amnesty is certainly another i’ll be following for next year

i knew joncol hadn’t been made an entry at the festival this year but wasn’t sure why, glad he isn’t injured or anything, i watched the documentary with him in the other week too

vf

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

I’ve just said pretty much the same on another thread. Because Kauto Star seems to have been around forever I thought I’d refresh my memory on his races over the years and he is, without doubt, a true Kempton horse, but his jumping makes him vulnerable at Cheltenham. I’m still irritated by the fact that Sam Thomas got the blame for Kauto’s fall at Haydock, but Ruby has not been blamed for yesterday. It’s bugging me.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

weapons amnesty is certainly another i’ll be following for next year

i knew joncol hadn’t been made an entry at the festival this year but wasn’t sure why, glad he isn’t injured or anything, i watched the documentary with him in the other week too

vf

As far as I know, there’s not a bother on him (as they say) and he may appear at Punchestown. That documentary was superb!

BrianMaysPlughole
    • Total Posts 1

Can anybody tell me what time The Gold cup actually went off? I was in the pub with a few friends and we all lumped on Imperial Commander except the lad who went out to put the bet on reckons he didn’t get it on time. It cost us a fair few quid and i’ll never leave it that late again but i know he had plenty of time to get that bet on. If anybody could tell me, it would be much appreciated.

• Total Posts 1046

http://www.cheltenham.co.uk/racing/watc … races.html

3:20:31

Your mate clearly thought it was a 2 horse race :mrgreen:

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Getzippy" wrote: I did watch the DVD again and it made for interesting viewing.

Sure, if KS had not made those mistakes he may have won, but not IMHO. Even so he appeared to be cantering just behind the leader before the mistake that told us nothing.

He would have been taken out of his comfort zone by two horses that are better suited to the rigours of the Gold Cup.

By that I mean, in a lesser Gold Cup KS can look supreme but when it is as tough as it was yesterday, then he is beatable as the conditions of the race stretch him as it is.

How can anyone say Cheltenham suits him better than Kempton over 3 miles?

He is practically unbeatable at Kempton, but not Cheltenham. End of.

I do not think 2007 was as strong a race as 2010.

I do think he will be back and I can deffo see him being placed in the 2011 Gold Cup, and maybe winning. He will have to surpass all his other GC efforts to beat IC though, and is that really possible with another year on his back?

Zip

Zip your killing me. Kauto Star wasn’t forced to make the mistakes by Denman and Imperial Commander, he made them, all by himself. I just don’t get how he is unsuited by the rigours of the Gold Cup?! Please explain further, as imo his best ever performance came in the race last year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Calgary Bay did us proud, Gord.

Nearly…

Calgary only had to finish 5th Bos and i was collecting at 12/1,he failed to get home! Watch him in next seasons Paddy Power over 21/2m at Cheltenham! :wink:

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Thehorsesmouth,

I did not say that Denman and IC made KS make that dreadful mistake – I agree he made that all on his own.

However, I do think he would have been taken out of a canter and beaten by horses that are his superior under the race conditions.

Denman has beaten him once and was beaten by KS when not 100%. I am not of the opinion that there were any sizable excuses for KS’s defeat by Denman.

So you think KS could beat these two next year in the Gold Cup?

I reckon you may think he could turn them over in the King George…..which is where he has displayed his best performances IMHO.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Getzippy" wrote: Thehorsesmouth,

I did not say that Denman and IC made KS make that dreadful mistake – I agree he made that all on his own.

However, I do think he would have been taken out of a canter and beaten by horses that are his superior under the race conditions.

Denman has beaten him once and was beaten by KS when not 100%. I am not of the opinion that there were any sizable excuses for KS’s defeat by Denman.

So you think KS could beat these two next year in the Gold Cup?

I reckon you may think he could turn them over in the King George…..which is where he has displayed his best performances IMHO.

Zip

Some day Kauto Star wilol decline and thats why Weapon’s Amnesty is my fancy for the Gold Cup. We’ll just have to agree to disagree about Denman and Imperial being better suited to Gold Cup conditions. :wink:

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I can’t argue with you there, buddy :wink:

Zip

Viewing 14 posts - 324 through 337 (of 337 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.