The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Home Forums Horse Racing Cheltenham Gold Cup 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 337 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Sad reminder on Witchita Lineman IC I really must be getting senile in my old age.

Which leads me to:- I can’t see either Christian Williams or Sam Thomas having the remotest chance of riding Denman this season.

There’s no chance of Kauto Star and Denman clashing before the Gold Cup so Ruby will no doubt ride Denman in the build up.

If JP McManus’s Don’t Push It wins the Hennessy he could end up having a crack at the Gold Cup but at this point inn time that’s unlikely. So Tony McCoy may well be without a mount and he;d be a short priced fav to ride Denman I reckon.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Given the aforementioned lack of depth as things stand and the quoting of novices such as Mikael d’Haguenet, I’m surprised that not even one firm is offering a price on Punchestowns.

The problem with him Friggo is he was barely ready to run in the World Hurde last season. It wasn’t the plan to do so until ater he won the Long Walk Hurdle as up to then Nicky intended not to be asking too much of him and give him more time. However he came on a lot, was felt to be ready and ran. That’s probably as good as he is an might not be quite up to Gold Cup or even RSA standard.

He is going chasing and will no doubt do well but he’s not the best Gold Cup prospect at Seven Barrows in Nicky’s eyes. That honour lies firmly on the shoulders of Mad Max. You can forget his run behind MD in the Ballymore tht was down to breathing problem which is now hopeflly sorted out.

Considering his size and the fact he will probably improve bundles for a trip it’s amazing he’s won the races he has. You could do worse than have yourself an EW bet on him for the RSA at 40’s rather than Punchestowns but niether are likely to run in the 2010.

• Total Posts 1982

How many pages do you think this thread will reach by Gold Cup day?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

That’s probably as good as he is an might not be quite up to Gold Cup or even RSA standard.

He is going chasing and will no doubt do well but he’s not the best Gold Cup prospect at Seven Barrows in Nicky’s eyes. That honour lies firmly on the shoulders of Mad Max. You can forget his run behind MD in the Ballymore tht was down to breathing problem which is now hopeflly sorted out.

Do you make this sh*it up, Fist? :mrgreen:

If "that’s as good as he is", then it’s as a horse capable of putting up a rating of around 170 making him

well

up to RSA standard – and well beyond it, actually – if he can transfer that ability to fences.

Mad Max is a giant of a horse and will doubtless do well over fences, but he is, as yet, totally unproven at staying trips. Punchestowns has plenty of scope himself, is a confirmed, high-class stayer, and has always looked as if he would be better over fences than hurdles.

If Henderson genuinely thinks he’s the stable second-string for the RSA Chase, then I can only assume that he was hard at the Hendricks during his enforced 3-month lie-down.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

No I don’t make it up and you can take this as gospel Mad Max was wrong in his wind and has had secod operation to try and correct it. Nicky Hendrson reckons if it has been a success he’s a future Gold Cup horse.

He never ever said that about Barber’s Shop nor to my knowledge about Punchestowns. He’s a shocking price for the RSA as some would argue barley get’s 3 miles at Cheltenham and 3m 2f may be beyond him.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Henderson’s Gold Cup horse will arrive within the next 7 weeks btw.

Just letting you all know :wink:

guesty
    • Total Posts 8

Its probably clutching at straws abit because imo the winner looks like being either 1 of the Nicholls big two! But Cappa Bleu was very impressive in the Foxhunters last year and has age on his side for improvement 2! He is due his 1st start for Evan Williams on saturday at Cheltenham. I am hoping he will show the improvement needed to embark on a Gold Cup Campaign!

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

No I don’t make it up and you can take this as gospel Mad Max was wrong in his wind and has had secod operation to try and correct it. Nicky Hendrson reckons if it has been a success he’s a future Gold Cup horse.

He never ever said that about Barber’s Shop nor to my knowledge about Punchestowns. He’s a shocking price for the RSA as some would argue barley get’s 3 miles at Cheltenham and 3m 2f may be beyond him.

How, in the name of all that is holy, is Punchestowns a shocking price for the RSA Chase?

He is a 170-rated hurdler, with the physique to jump fences, is a half-stone clear of any other hurdler being targeted at the race, and his stamina is proven better than any other horse in the betting (save for possibly Fiveforthree, and even then it’s marginal). I’ve no idea how you come to the conclusion he barely gets 3m, when he’s just after running all the way to the line, in the best Stayers for several years.

Exactly what price would you make him??

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

If the ground came up soft Notre Pere would unquestionably come into calculations, he showed what he is capable of at Punchestown.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Henderson’s Gold Cup horse will arrive within the next 7 weeks btw.

Just letting you all know :wink:

Yeh Irish but he wont run him in a Cheltenham Gold cup untill 2011 and its a "Long Run" till then!!

• Total Posts 1415

He never ever said that about Barber’s Shop nor to my knowledge about Punchestowns.

He’s a shocking price for the RSA as some would argue barley get’s 3 miles at Cheltenham and 3m 2f may be beyond him.

Fist the RSA is run over three miles and half a furlong not three and a quarter miles.

• Total Posts 2184

Read today that Cool Dawn in 1998 was the last 10yo to win the Gold Cup.

I’m contemplating throwing a few more bob on Cooldine upon hearing that.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

People forget that Kauto Star has been on the go since he was 2. It would be quite remarkable if he doesn’t decline slightly this season. Then again, he is a remarkable horse . . .

A horse I’ve always liked alot is Trafford Lad. He’s not even quoted for the race but I’d be interested in his chances in this or the Ryanair. Cooldine is the obvious novice of last season to be viewed as a potential Gold Cup winner, but I think this fellow could be as good.

• Total Posts 2184

I don’t think Trafford Lad would stay 3m2 around Cheltenham. He didn’t seem to get the three miles when Casey Jones beat him at Leopardstown last year.

He’s the forgotten Irish horse from last year though and I’ve backed him already for the Ryanair. The form of his Drinmore win is rock solid. He clearly wasn’t fully right after that run for the rest of the season.

• Total Posts 2184

People forget that Kauto Star has been on the go since he was 2. It would be quite remarkable if he doesn’t decline slightly this season. Then again, he is a remarkable horse . . .

A horse I’ve always liked alot is Trafford Lad. He’s not even quoted for the race but I’d be interested in his chances in this or the Ryanair. Cooldine is the obvious novice of last season to be viewed as a potential Gold Cup winner, but I think this fellow could be as good.

I don’t think Trafford Lad would stay 3m2 around Cheltenham. He didn’t seem to get the three miles when Casey Jones beat him at Leopardstown last year.

He’s the forgotten Irish horse from last year though and I’ve backed him already for the Ryanair. The form of his Drinmore win is rock solid. He clearly wasn’t fully right after that run for the rest of the season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

If Denman is back to the form of two years ago, I will be looking no further than him – with the proviso that C. Williams is not the pilot.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I think Kauto is a class above Denman when both are at their best, even though they have yet to clash when both are at their best. In Denman’s Gold Cup Kauto didn’t travel a yard and never jumped with any fluency. I just hope that this year they will still be at their peaks.

On the subject of Trafford Lad, I don’t think we can say for certain that he doesn’t stay the trip, Tom Doyle said after his defeat to Casey Jones that he was infront far too soon. He was staying on really well against Aran Concerto. The Ryanair would probably be a more realistic target though.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 337 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.