The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Home Forums Archive Topics CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP 2009 and 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 623 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

so who is going to win :twisted: – and no one is allowed to pick imperial commander as I have a soft spot for him :)

Isn’t Imperial Commander running in the Ryanair?

Yes – Or at least Twiston-Davies said he was without being definite as he is still in the GC. He better run in the Ryanair or I will be spewing.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Twiston Davies taken from the RP:

"He’s been great, he’s had a bit of time off and we’ve freshened him up as he goes well fresh," said Twiston-Davies.

"We think he will probably be going for the Ryanair but he’ll be declared for both.

"He won a handicap (Paddy Power) as he pleased and the horse that was second to him there (Barbers Shop) is going for the Gold Cup so the world could be his oyster," he told At The Races.

underscore
    • Total Posts 537

One of the owners told me he will deffo go for the Ryan Air.. where he has a great chance to place… NTD very confident that the bug has left the yard and he has IC ready to do some damage…

Participant
    • Total Posts 2268

kauto’s price is drifting in places now 2/1 william hill

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Yep, just saw the 2/1 too, Viking – bloody tempting!

Do we think he will return bigger than 2’s on the day, folks?

Zip

PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

If the ground is good or better come friday Lump on Kauto !!!!!!!!!

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

It seems like the KS doubters are surfacing again. The media and public are starting to question whether he really is as good as he was. Perhaps his Gold Cup win was a weak year…Denman is looking fitter and more toned…

Still, 9/4 would have to be a great bet…?

Zip

Ps,
    Personally, I’m with all the peeps that think KS justifies the epithet "great."

Participant
    • Total Posts 2268
    • Total Posts 1537

That’s probably a move by Willy Hills to get the Kauto camp started. I can’t see him being pushed out to 3s, not unless ground gets really soft.

• Total Posts 1982

I’d love to see Kauto Star reclaim the Gold Cup – a truly great horse deserves such an honour.

I was adamant that he was still as good as ever and would win the King George, but I have a nagging feeling that this won’t be his year at Cheltenham.

I really fancy Exotic Dancer ew and I’ll have a few quid on Denman, too.

I supported Kauto last year, but backed Denman (that way I either won finacially and lost emotionally, or vice versa!!). I’ll do the same again.

C’mon, Great One.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 158

i would say denman was only 60% fit on his last run. if pn thought the horse wasnt right or stood any chance of winning this years gold cup then it would not even be entred. all denmans best runs have come on a left handed track and im sure his last race was on a right handed track. his last run was a pipe opener and was probably the first bit of serious work they had done with him, dont be fooled what your reading in the papers and hearing on the tv. denman will be back this year and your gonna all kick yourself for not betting him at what looks to be a monster price. another plus is rain forecast which is gonna blow ks chances.

my prediction is 1st denman.. 2nd neptune colognes.. 3rd kauto star

fill yer boots boys

Participant
    • Total Posts 735

I’d love to see Kauto Star reclaim the Gold Cup – a truly great horse deserves such an honour.

I was adamant that he was still as good as ever and would win the King George, but I have a nagging feeling that this won’t be his year at Cheltenham.

I supported Kauto last year, but backed Denman (that way I either won finacially and lost emotionally, or vice versa!!). I’ll do the same again.

C’mon, Great One.

And I thought I was the only person to do that…..

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

I keep wishing they’d given Denman the year off and brought him back next year; of all the races this year the Gold Cup is probably the one I’m least looking forward to because it worries me.

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

C’mon, Great One.

Tell you what Bos, when I backed Kauto Star at long odds for this, after he was beaten by Denman I did so becuase of what my own two eyes and ears told me. Kauto just didn’t look anything like his usual self and Ruby was adamant he didn’t feel right either.

My worry is when he won the King George he never impressed me as much as he did the year before.

Perhaps that can be put down to PN’s different tactics and he simply wasn’t as forward this time round.

I am hoping that was the case and he hasn’t deteriorated because Jonjo reckons Exotic Dancer is in the best form of his life.

It’s 2.1 against 10/1 which looks very good value in what could end up a very ordinary Gold Cup if we are to believe Denman can’t win and Kauto has gone backwards.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

It was mentioned in passing on Thursday night that Ruby isn’t as ‘bullish’ about Kauto this year as he has been in previous years; whether this was at any irish preview events or just in general I have no idea; maybe he thinks Nipper has progressed [although it’s a worry that the Irish race was closer to Cheltenham than planned], but , if so, you’d have to say that Exotic Dancer had the beating of him [possibly] earlier in the year, and it was a wise move of Jonjo’s to not send him to Ireland the second time. However, it was also mentioned in passing that Jonjo would prefer to run him in the Ryanair.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

I’m still; not convinced Kauto Star gets home over 3m2f at Cheltenham. And before people say well he’s a course and distance winner and stayed on again to get 2nd last year. In my view, his 2nd last year was all about guts and never say die, which is admireable, but also the first 3 were all out on their feet last year and the last half furlong or so was like they were almost treading water. The year before was a slowly run affair, I think they were all still pretty bunched up with a circuit to run, all he did was outpace a lot of slow horses from there. He’s a good horse, but his best efforts have been around Kempton, Sandown and Ascot, which are right handed and less of a stamina test than this. For me at the prices, he’s a massive lay.

Participant
    • Total Posts 274

Kauto was all out last year due to the pace set by Denman (possibly combined with any other fitness issues not ironed out) If that same pace is set and maitained this year then he is in danger again but tell me what could set that pace? There is no horse in this race with the cruising speed of Denman last year (including Denman) so this years Gold Cup is just another race set up for KS to do what he does best against oposition he has already done it to.

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 623 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.