The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Gripes

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Gripes

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    % MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I must admit my first, gut, reaction was "what the **** are they doing with those interviews?"

But thinking about it I tend to agree with Ginger – this is not a normal run of the mill Saturday meeting and the audience is more diverse than normal.

I think Clare handled the interview with the handler well and if he hadn’t wanted to speak then no doubt he would not have agreed to the interview. In the circumstances if anyone had to be interviewed immediately I’d rather it been the lad than Jane Cecil.

I do agree with "admiral" about the "studio" discussion which did hint at circling the wagons and getting the defence in first.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I can’t make my mind up whether the post race interview of TC’s lad was a good idea or not. I thought Ms Balding handled the subject reasonably well but like a few others was cringing at the gushing’attack is the best form…" strategy of the studio team.

Being brutally honest, as I believe the production team were aiming to be, about the potential racing has for horses to be injured or killed, I’m not so sure about really. I don’t think those who oppose horse racing will be doffing their caps in tribute to racing’s principled stand-point. They’re probably far more likely to do what those types of people always do and use the words spoken on the subject by the presenters as a stick to beat the sport with by cherry picking quotes to suit their own twisted agendas. :(

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I love watching the racing on Channel 4 +1

I’m able to find the winner of every race watching it on that channel :D

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Got to be honest Nick Luck’s grown on me. Yes he’s not the perfect no-mistakes presenter but I think that’s what I like, he can clearly take the piss out of himself and actually makes me laugh quite a lot! At least he’s a personality and someone to talk about, not as though he’s a dull boring guy.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Claire Balding fawning over Frankie again it is getting a bit much every week now we know you think he is the best Claire give it a rest.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I would rather Claire Balding wasn’t part of the channel 4 team. She still thinks she’s on the BBC with the way she patronises the viewers intelligence, or maybe that’s just how I see it. Nick Luck is very good, even a better tipster than the rest at the minute!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Tanya discussing bookmakers pitches on The Morning Line when we have all this racing on ?

Good grief.

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Hayley Turner comes down at Doncaster everyone concerned including the race winner Jamie Spencer (everyone is aware of their past) so ignorant Rishi Persad decides to go ahead with the interview of Jamie who clearly had other matters on his mind I think C4 need to look at this and should have told Rishi to drop the interview.

Disgraceful in my opinion.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

You can hardly blame Rishi Persad – he does as he is told via his "ear-piece".

Blame the "producer".

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Yes you can he can say "No I’m not doing it it’s not appropriate".

Participant
    • Total Posts 33012

Agree Steve, Channel 4 should have dropped the post race interview. Although wouldn’t go as far as calling it "disgraceful".

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7513

Steve

He could have done.., and then he would be stood there saying nothing while the director was deciding to do next. Presumably you would then have come on the thread complaining about the indecision?

Remember TV presentation is in real time and the decision on coverage, for better or worse, has to be made there and then.

Rob

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Steve

He could have done.., and then he would be stood there saying nothing while the director was deciding to do next. Presumably you would then have come on the thread complaining about the indecision?

Remember TV presentation is in real time and the decision on coverage, for better or worse, has to be made there and then.

Rob

"Hi Jamie well done I know you’re (ex) girlfriend is laying on the track in god knows what condition but hey what a great fillie you have just rode tells us about the horse you must be really delighted".

No I wouldn’t complain about it because the after race interview while still on the horse is a bad idea as it is so think it should be dropped.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33012

As Matron says, it’s the producer’s call, so wouldn’t blame Richi. Unfortunately, the decision was made and thought he did a reasonable job in a difficult situation.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

Yes you can he can say "No I’m not doing it it’s not appropriate".

He probably wants to be in employment.

That is the way it works.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Is everything supposed to grind to a halt just because a jockey comes off a horse?

Let me say from the outset I’m no fan of the mounted post race interview, they should be banned – I always maintain the jockey should talk to connections first before giving interviews – but

if

they are going to have to take place I see no reason why the interview should not have gone ahead in this case.

That soon after the fall had happened there is no knowing if the fall is serious or not, she could just have been winded and back on her feet in a few minutes. Putting up screens is no indicator of the seriousness as they are (should) but put up as a matter of routine.

It’s very easy to say in hindsight something should or should not have been done however, as has already been pointed out, split second decisions have to be made.

I wonder if the same outcry would have ensued had it been a different interviewer?

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1927

Is everything supposed to grind to a halt just because a jockey comes off a horse?

Let me say from the outset I’m no fan of the mounted post race interview, they should be banned – I always maintain the jockey should talk to connections first before giving interviews – but

if

they are going to have to take place I see no reason why the interview should not have gone ahead in this case.

That soon after the fall had happened there is no knowing if the fall is serious or not, she could just have been winded and back on her feet in a few minutes. Putting up screens is no indicator of the seriousness as they are (should) but put up as a matter of routine.

It’s very easy to say in hindsight something should or should not have been done however, as has already been pointed out, split second decisions have to be made.

I wonder if the same outcry would have ensued had it been a different interviewer?

I have no feelings either way for Rishi so it wouldn’t have mattered but in this case the injured jockey was the winner’s (ex) girlfriend so this is why I think it was inappropriate.

Viewing 17 posts - 120 through 136 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.