The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Channel 4 Gripes

Home Forums Horse Racing Channel 4 Gripes

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

The main problem is that the show is not designed for it’s audience. It’s full of pompous egotistical people, and does not cater to the man on the street having a Saturday punt. Doomed to failure, it’s simple business.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Someone had a complaint that Cunningham gave too much analysis/thought for a saturday? What on earth is this supposed to mean? That you want less diligent and intelligent thoughts and replaced with more babbling nonsensical cliches?

It’s a Saturday afternoon and he loves the sound of his own voice. When he was reviewing the Pastoral Pursuits race.." We thought the owner might know it, we thought the trainer might know it, all those who backed him knew it and now we know the jockey knew it "

Shut up waffling. He could get a job on Ladbrokes in-house radio. " Waffle, waffle, waffle, waffle…oops – the horses are off ! There’s one left at the start, it’s the favourite ! No, it’s the 100-1 outsider. Now where was i ? Oh yes, the Ashes…"

There is too much post race analysis with all the presenters vying for airtime to bestow their wonderous insight on us and i’d prefer someone in Cunngingham’s position – the colour man – to be brief occasionally. Succinct.
    Fitzy should be outside talking to jockeys and connections because he useless in the studio. The same platitudes week after week.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

You would think that the experienced Timeform graduate Jim McGrath would be able to bring some sort of of professional insight into proceedings but I think his head must disappear up the "betting ring" at times. On Oaks day he was just about to bring a rare piece of actual insight regarding Secret Gesture’s form, when he start to mention the third horse in the Lingfield Oaks trial, Marco Botti’s Whippy Cream. What he was about to tell us was that it had subsequently finished 3rd in the Gp2 Italian Oaks, but before he could get to it, his heart jumped at the sight of Aiden O’Brien and we were treated instead to a commentary on "What a lovely suit Aiden is wearing, he’s always well turned out on the big race days"
    The information regarding the big race favourite was never returned to, but I am sure viewers slept easier in their beds that night, knowing that the master of Ballydoyle has a damn good tailor to rely on. Thank jebus for the mute button.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Christ, if even Timeform Jim is turning in to a fashion luvvie, the game really is fornicated.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I like Graeme Cunningham’s style; especially his machine gun like delivery of facts, form and statistics. However, for the bottom line is delivering prospective winners for the viewers – something which he seems less skilled at.

Then of course, yesterday’s Morning Line ( 8th June ) threw up yet another surprise for us – Tom Lee talking German. :shock:

The likely scenario before the weekend offering –
    ML Producer : " What, you can talk German, Tom… seriously ?
    TL, yep !
    ML P: Well then, we’ll need to showcase your talents then, won’t we ! "
    TL : )

… and cue, Tom ! :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Been waiting years for Tom Lee to show any talents…..

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Mick Fitz is the new Lesley Graham …simply unwatchable , how could they get it so wrong …….

The new show is not much in all honesty

good luck to them though

Imo

Ricky

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I think this thread has gone beyond being constructive now.
    In the past few posts, there have been comments on:

– Nick Luck’s hairline
    – Hairy hands
    – Emma Spencer’s alleged promiscuity
    – Weight of various presenters

Are we analysing Channel 4 Racing here, or are we gossiping over a garden wall?

There are certainly some areas that still need improvement, but some of these criticisms make me wonder if you are being reasonable. For example, I think Rishi Persad did a competent job as the roving reporter and main presenter yesterday. He was fluent and conducted the interviews with the standard questions. That is all his job entails. It is hard to expect much more from a person in his role when presenting a program so pressurised and condensed by commercial breaks. Likewise Tom Lee, Tanya Stevenson and Emma Spencer. They do their repetitive jobs quite well, but are restricted by Channel 4 Racing’s structure. What exactly do you expect from these people in the 30 second bursts of camera time they get?

I concede that Mick Fitzgerald needs to hold back on the cliches, though. The clunky touchscreen needs to be retired, too. These annoyances do give a sloppy feel to the overall production, as with Emma Spencer’s recent gaffe when speaking to Neil Callan. ‘Props’ to C4 on the filler features recently, though. The mini feature on Emily Wilding Davison was particularly interesting. I hope they make more use of Simon Holt in this capacity.

highflyer1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 219

Funny how many people who originally rubbished Rishi Persad are now being won over by him. I’ve been a fan since I first saw him (on other sports of course): bright, bubbly, personable and knowledgable. And yes, that last adjective also applies to racing, whether the curmudgeons on here like it or not.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Differing opinions are what make for horse races.

I find Persads presence on my TV screen infuriating personally.

J17star
    • Total Posts 317

It’s a Saturday afternoon and he loves the sound of his own voice. When he was reviewing the Pastoral Pursuits race.." We thought the owner might know it, we thought the trainer might know it, all those who backed him knew it and now we know the jockey knew it "

Shut up waffling. He could get a job on Ladbrokes in-house radio. " Waffle, waffle, waffle, waffle…oops – the horses are off ! There’s one left at the start, it’s the favourite ! No, it’s the 100-1 outsider. Now where was i ? Oh yes, the Ashes…"

There is too much post race analysis with all the presenters vying for airtime to bestow their wonderous insight on us and i’d prefer someone in Cunngingham’s position – the colour man – to be brief occasionally. Succinct.
    Fitzy should be outside talking to jockeys and connections because he useless in the studio. The same platitudes week after week.

Cunningham has some genuine interesting thoughts, and frankly, it makes a chance to the generic cliche riddled sensationalism from the rest of the team.

What has a Saturday got to do with anything? I entirely disagree with your premise of his waffle, but at least connect it to this Saturday concept. Probably being slightly pedantic and petty here, since i fear i know the absurd implication behind it, but i want you to explicity say it.

J17star
    • Total Posts 317

I think this thread has gone beyond being constructive now.
    In the past few posts, there have been comments on:

– Nick Luck’s hairline
    – Hairy hands
    – Emma Spencer’s alleged promiscuity
    – Weight of various presenters

Are we analysing Channel 4 Racing here, or are we gossiping over a garden wall?

When was this thread ever constructure? As if any criticism or praise mentioned in this would have any credence and relevance to anything.

Nick Luck has a head shaped like bad pottery. If anything, it helps my perception of him, since it generates such an irrational annoyance that i forget what a truely inept and annoying racing presenter he is.

here are certainly some areas that still need improvement, but some of these criticisms make me wonder if you are being reasonable. For example, I think Rishi Persad did a competent job as the roving reporter and main presenter yesterday. He was fluent and conducted the interviews with the standard questions. That is all his job entails. It is hard to expect much more from a person in his role when presenting a program so pressurised and condensed by commercial breaks. Likewise Tom Lee, Tanya Stevenson and Emma Spencer. They do their repetitive jobs quite well, but are restricted by Channel 4 Racing’s structure. What exactly do you expect from these people in the 30 second bursts of camera time they get?

Some areas? It’s like discovering an underground sex ring and saying "Well, this doesn’t seem legal".

The presenting is bad. The drivel, cliches and hype are annoying. The point interviews ; whether it be in the ring or of random celebrities or the groom of those horse …. "WHAT DO YOU THINK … DO YOU LIKE YOUR HORSE!!!". Or the lack of horses in volume ; let us concentrate on a select few that is fundamentally based on hype or because it’s a good story. Shall we discuss the feel good factor. The betting ring performs about as well as myself chatting up the F1 grid girls.

T

I concede that Mick Fitzgerald needs to hold back on the cliches, though. The clunky touchscreen needs to be retired, too. These annoyances do give a sloppy feel to the overall production, as with Emma Spencer’s recent gaffe when speaking to Neil Callan. ‘Props’ to C4 on the filler features recently, though. The mini feature on Emily Wilding Davison was particularly interesting. I hope they make more use of Simon Holt in this capacity.

Mick Fitzgerald needs to be fired into space.

Participant
    • Total Posts 416

My view is C4 racing is on the whole not as good as it was before the recent changes. Fitzgerald is dire and Balding should have been put out to grass and God knows why they took them from the BBC as they were hopeless there. Luck is too wooden and one longs for the return of the Cat.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

When was this thread ever constructure? As if any criticism or praise mentioned in this would have any credence and relevance to anything.

Nick Luck has a head shaped like bad pottery. If anything, it helps my perception of him, since it generates such an irrational annoyance that i forget what a truely inept and annoying racing presenter he is.

Well, the front page of this forum describes it as "intelligent discussion". Maybe I was mistaken to expect more than insults of Nick Luck, Emma Spencer or Rishi Persad regarding their physical appearance. Obviously, you are entitled to your opinions, but comments like yours about Nick Luck make you sound like a school bully.

Maybe I am being too sensitive here, but your post (and some others as I mentioned) come across as very unpleasant and needlessly personal.

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

I’ve not been impressed with the new C4 set-up, but I have to hold my hand up to being more than a little taken with the gorgeous Emma Spencer. I like her post race walkalongs with the winning jockey/horse too. She seems to have real empathy with racing folk to me.

I bumped into her and her beau a week or two back while out cycling around the July course on a non racing day. They were walking a whole posse of dogs including a lovely dalmatian and she couldn’t have been more pleasant shouting a cheery hello and flashing me a lovely smile.

…if only I were thirty years younger.

…and a bit wealthier.

…and didn’t have the perfect face for radio. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1401

Nick Luck has a head shaped like bad pottery.

LMAO I nearly choked on my cuppa reading that :lol:

J17star
    • Total Posts 317

Well, the front page of this forum describes it as "intelligent discussion".

Do you believe the Daily Mail too? You’ve gone from constructive to intelligent. Where to next, gentle?

Maybe I was mistaken to expect more than insults of Nick Luck, Emma Spencer or Rishi Persad regarding their physical appearance. Obviously, you are entitled to your opinions, but comments like yours about Nick Luck make you sound like a school bully.

I haven’t made any reference to the appearance of either Spencer or Persad. Whomever did, so what? Are you offended? Why should you be?

School bully? I must have missed the memo whereby Luck recieved the remarks and inturn was personally offended. I’m not particuarly fond of the term "grow a pair", but really ….

In any case, i don’t imagine it would be possible to lift his underpants over that perfectly square head of his.

Maybe I am being too sensitive here, but your post (and some others as I mentioned) come across as very unpleasant and needlessly personal.

Clearly it is tongue in cheek. It’s also hardly hurting anybodies feelings. Unless your seriously telling me a user on this forum is deeply disturbed by the discovery that pottery head and Mick Fitzjabberald aren’t very good at their jobs.

I’ll never forget the replays of the grand national this year. Four times in a minute Mick Fitz said "look at him, i bet he’s having a whale of a time!".

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 177 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.