The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champions: Full Gallop

Home Forums Horse Racing Champions: Full Gallop

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

LOL Ginger… if attracting the wider non racing public
    Where was Jermaine Jenas??

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Must admit I found it a bit tedious as I knew the outcome of it all, will this attract people into racing I would not have thought so and I suspect many who watched the first episode are likely to skip the rest.
    I have no interest in cricket or golf and watching a similar programme with these sports as an interest is not going to change my mind.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1393

Only watched a few minutes of it and turned over. Wasn’t for me. Seemed to be too much emphasis on the human side of things *yawn*

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

I suspect Willie Mullins wasn’t interested?

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Cmap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 18

Plenty of Mullins in ep3. I thought ep1 was too cheerleader, 2 and 3 are better.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

There were bits in episode 1 I hadn’t seen before even as quite a big racing fan. I’ve watched some of the football ones on Netflix and Amazon and in those I know what the outcome is but that’s not really why i watch, its the behind the scenes stuff. I’d never seen that clip of Nicky Henderson when Shishkin unseated before but perhaps my memory is failing me. I can see why some wouldnt like it though, it won’t be for everyone.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

Just to add I do think the other one they did with Andrew Baldings yard on the flat (on bbc iplayer) might be better but I’ve only seen episode 1 of this so far so we will see.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

I watched the first one last night. Now watching the second episode on itvx as they have put the first three on there to watch.
    The second episode seems to focus on jockey championship and injuries jockeys sustain
    Sean Bowen and Harry Cobden
    It’s a good watch :good:

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 16890

The first one repeats tonight at 11.15pm for anyone like me who hasn’t seen it yet and then it’s every Friday 9.00pm.

I’m actually looking forward to it as I know a lot about flat race jockeys but not so much about the jump jockeys and their families.

Do agree with Refuse To Bend though that if you don’t like racing its not going to make you rush down to your local track.
    Jac
    :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

On racing post
    And here’s what people have been saying on X

@CorneliusRacing: “Binge-watched first 3 eps of Champions: Full Gallop on @ITVX ; enjoyable, at best when allowed to flow; much of build-up surrounded @CobdenHarry but plenty of others in good form, esp @NdeBoinville & great to hear from Susannah Ricci/Mrs @DSkeltonRacing (both often in shadows)”

@rachwardracing: “Just watched the first 3 episodes of @itvracing Champions Full Gallop on the ITVX app & I must say as an avid racing fan & someone who will be coming into the industry to work it was FANTASTIC. I can’t wait to see the next 3 episodes. Huge well done to all involved”

@TheCaulfieldWay: “My word, what a series, already. Early shout, Harry Cobden, the new James Bond. Nico de Boinville as Q Naturals #championsfullgallop”

@ianbyers: “Having watched the first three episodes of Champions Full Gallop on @ITVX I have really enjoyed it. Congratulations to everyone involved in making the series I’m really looking forward to the next three. #FullGallop”

@DavidCrosse: “Really, really enjoyed Champions Full Gallop on @ITV. Even though I knew the result I couldn’t wait to see who won the King George @GavinSheehan92”

@AdamRoom17: “Fully enjoyed @itvracing Champions Full Gallop first three episodes and looking forward to the next three. I wonder if there’s a plan to do a version of Flat racing too? I hope so! #ITVRacing #FullGallop”

@IzzyPhillips: “Well done all involved with Champions: Full Gallop. Just watched the first episode. I thought it was excellent! This is what we need – investment in the stories that are the reason we all love the sport! So sad to think Shishkin is gone though!”

@PercyBlakeney63: “Champions: Full Gallop is absolutely brilliant. A must-see. I was lucky enough to back Hewick for the King George and we were up at Aintree to see Kamsinas run for @FOBRacing and @ndfehily. How anyone cannot love Shark Hanlon is beyond me!!!”

@GoingBehind: “Champions: Full Gallop was exactly what I expected. Dull as dishwater. Too many opinions and not enough nitty gritty. Just like ITV Racing in general. What an opportunity missed. . .”

Vf x

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

We simply don’t know what a brand new viewer will think about the sport as we are all looking at it with our racing eyes that some of us are a bit jaded in particular to the ITV coverage that leans more to the entertainment side of things than pure horse racing.

Yes people that actively don’t like the sport to start with (genuinely or not) are most likely a lost cause to begin with but those aren’t the target audience this series is going after, its those that have no preconceived view either way that they want to lure in and I am sure there will be people who will become interested in this sport based off this series……just like Drive To Survive did for F1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’m on the middle episode 2 right now and its worth a watch.. Love hearing Paul Nicholls swear when Ginny’s Destiny won and you get a bit of the behind the scenes you wouldn’t normally get which can be a little insightful to the jockey mentality

Blackbeard to conquer the World

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9289

He swore quite a lot! In fact, he seems to swear even more than I do.I’m beginning to rather like him!

Participant
    • Total Posts 205

I’ve only watched the first episode so far. I liked it, though like many here I’m probably too close to the sport already. That meant I knew the sport, I knew the characters, I knew the storylines.

As a result, elements like “This is Paul and he is Goliath and this is Shark and he is David can you guess what happens next” left me cold.

However, the production values are high. As others have said, there are strong echoes of Drive To Survive, which gave F1 such a boost.

And some of the backstage moments were interesting. Nico giving Gavin a congratulatory hug moments after the King George was my favourite moment of the episode and changed my opinion of him.

I’ll be interested to see how the rest of the series plays out – I’m going to try to get the non-racing heathens in my family to watch it to get their reactions.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

Far too much of the ITV presenters, particularly ED and he can’t count, he said Sean was 31 ahead when it was 29 according to the table shown. As it was about the jockeys championship surprised AP and the 20 championships he won didn’t get a mention.
    As someone pointed out quite a bit of it is done with hindsight.
    Thought the Andrew Balding one was better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

I’ve just finished watching the one on BBCiPlayer Andrew Balding and it is much better.

VF x

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2901

How many times were we told the Betfair Hurdle was worth. Must have been half a dozen. Agree that the interviews with the jockeys/trainers are much more interesting than when Ed et al are talking.

Also agree that the Balding one was better and I much prefer the jumps.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.