The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Harchibald cost me a big TTF win that time, but on reflection, I feel for Carberry. He was sitting on fresh air and just somehow trying to kid the horse that he wasn’t in a race. As soon as the old dog realized he wasn’t out for just a gallop, he didn’t want to know.

Must have been a horrible feeling for the jock

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

I was always of the school of thought that Harchibald was running as fast as he could without the jockeys encouragement.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I was always of the school of thought that Harchibald was running as fast as he could without the jockeys encouragement.

Quite possibly right. It was just his langourous style that deceived. He was the Dean Martin of horses (for those fossils old enough to remember DM).

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

After reading Carberry’s book and his side of the story and given the way Harchi ran generally, I think the stick he got (not the horse obviously!) was way OTT. Many jocks would simply have panicked and given Harchi a good hiding which he’d probably have dug his heels in at anyway.

Watching Carberry’s double at Leopardstown last Sunday was watching a master of his art at work. Boy, when he wins it looks great, but it can be hard to take when he cruises up looking all over the winner then zilch is found (a bit like Quick Jack in the Boylesports).

Looking forward to watching him bring Big Shu home next wednesday.

Jasolong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 604

"Steelechasing" sorry mate but have you got some sort of emotional attachment to melodic rendezvous because the horse has complete 0 chance of winning the champion hurdle bar the first 6 in the betting falling over. I think you have mentioned the horse 4 or 5 times now. Sorry mate but you are dreaming

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Hmmmm well did not Melodic Rendezvous beat Zarkander and did not Zarkander beat TNW and for some reason TNW is fav

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

"Steelechasing" sorry mate but have you got some sort of emotional attachment to melodic rendezvous because the horse has complete 0 chance of winning the champion hurdle bar the first 6 in the betting falling over. I think you have mentioned the horse 4 or 5 times now. Sorry mate but you are dreaming

Yes its unlikely, but brash statements like this could come back to bite u on the @rse.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Were you laying the bones out of Hardy Eustace and Punjabi Jasolong?

If the horse has zero chance I assume you are selling all possessions, re-mortgaging property, taking out every loan possible in order to quite safely lay every penny you have in the world on this horse not winning the Champion Hurdle?

The horse has every chance IMO.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

I couldn’t blame you for thinking that way, but my only attachment to MR is on the value front. If he is indeed a soft/heavy ground horse as many suspect, then I’m going to look pretty stupid. But my suspicion is that stamina is his forte.

He is an unusual type in that he invariably hits a flat spot when you’d bet your life he is never going to pick up. Not only does he pick up, but when he gets going again he is one of the most powerful finishers I’ve ever seen. If he’s fit and well (he reportedly pulled a muscle at Newcastle) I’d bet a lot of money that none will come up the hill better in the CH – exactly where he is when he comes up the hill I don’t know, but he’ll be flying.

His issue at that level will be not getting left too far behind when his flat spot comes on.

Just for the record, I always get attached to value rather than the horse. A few weeks ago I was raving just as much about Jezki who was a stupid price at 14s. My first bet in the race was The New One at 25/1 the night before he won the Neptune.

What makes MR so attractive to me is that he has every chance of trading at 100/1 or more in running and 20s or more for a place. I might well be wrong about him, but at those prices I’m happy to be. You don’t need to get too many right at that level to make your profit for the whole year.

So TNO, Jezki or MR will do for me, but as I said on the ‘trust me’ front, you could do much worse than leave an order in on Betfair for a fiver at 100/1. OK, he might tip up and someone will snag your cash, or indeed he might just bomb and finish last, but all in all, I think it’s well worth it.

Good luck

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Interesting turn of events in this thread.

I spent most of January 2013 alternating my Supreme Novice AP bets (only race I focus on that early) and spent the next 2 months backing both MTOY and MR.

Injury robbed me of what I perceived to be an underrated contender running, but a great ride from Ruby completed the whitewash.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Melodic Rendezvous – and when Joe gets a hard-on for a horse you should listen (Cue Card) – but no way does he place this year.

PC – the horse is c. 25/1 on the machines. Haven’t seen the ‘to lay’ price but would you sell every worldly possession (home included) to lay that, even if you were 99.99% sure ?

You don’t need to answer that btw. Emotional post.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 13248

I couldn’t blame you for thinking that way, but my only attachment to MR is on the value front. If he is indeed a soft/heavy ground horse as many suspect, then I’m going to look pretty stupid. But my suspicion is that stamina is his forte.

He is an unusual type in that he invariably hits a flat spot when you’d bet your life he is never going to pick up. Not only does he pick up, but when he gets going again he is one of the most powerful finishers I’ve ever seen. If he’s fit and well (he reportedly pulled a muscle at Newcastle) I’d bet a lot of money that none will come up the hill better in the CH – exactly where he is when he comes up the hill I don’t know, but he’ll be flying.

His issue at that level will be not getting left too far behind when his flat spot comes on.

Just for the record, I always get attached to value rather than the horse. A few weeks ago I was raving just as much about Jezki who was a stupid price at 14s. My first bet in the race was The New One at 25/1 the night before he won the Neptune.

What makes MR so attractive to me is that he has every chance of trading at 100/1 or more in running and 20s or more for a place. I might well be wrong about him, but at those prices I’m happy to be. You don’t need to get too many right at that level to make your profit for the whole year.

So TNO, Jezki or MR will do for me, but as I said on the ‘trust me’ front, you could do much worse than leave an order in on Betfair for a fiver at 100/1. OK, he might tip up and someone will snag your cash, or indeed he might just bomb and finish last, but all in all, I think it’s well worth it.

Good luck

Joe, I’m very much with you on this. I can see Melodic Rendezvous running on strongly up the Cheltenham hill, although I don’t think he will have the pace to necessarily win.

In Nathan’s Starmix Challenge Champion Hurdle Top Three, I have The New One winning this, Un De Sceaux, who I think has been overlooked, and has a serious chance, finishing second and Melodic Rendevzous who, as you say, will be finishing possibly strongest of all running into third. There you go, it’s as easy as that :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

I’m with Joe on this one, five of the last 10 winners of the CH have returned at 10/1 or bigger, I’m convinced we have yet to see the best of Melodic Rendezvous

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

Interesting turn of events in this thread.

I spent most of January 2013 alternating my Supreme Novice AP bets (only race I focus on that early) and spent the next 2 months backing both MTOY and MR.

Injury robbed me of what I perceived to be an underrated contender running, but a great ride from Ruby completed the whitewash.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Melodic Rendezvous – and when Joe gets a hard-on for a horse you should listen (Cue Card) – but no way does he place this year.

PC – the horse is c. 25/1 on the machines. Haven’t seen the ‘to lay’ price but would you sell every worldly possession (home included) to lay that, even if you were 99.99% sure ?

You don’t need to answer that btw. Emotional post.

Lee

I’m not the one saying the horse has "Zero" chance. You have missed the point. Clearly nobody would do what I described, so they shouldn’t be so rash with their comments.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32174

Who ever wins the race will fully deserve it, the field takes some beating. Deaf Jon has confirmed we are going and two packets of spare batteries for the camera will be packed, Cant wait.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Yes I did miss the point PC. Too much festival adrenalin + alcohol I guess.

Lee

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Who ever wins the race will fully deserve it, the field takes some beating. Deaf Jon has confirmed we are going and two packets of spare batteries for the camera will be packed, Cant wait.

Nathan, if you’re going to the festival, it’s spare batteries for your body you’ll need.

Someday, they’ll be invented.

Have a good time

Joe

Jasolong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 604

Were you laying the bones out of Hardy Eustace and Punjabi Jasolong?

If the horse has zero chance I assume you are selling all possessions, re-mortgaging property, taking out every loan possible in order to quite safely lay every penny you have in the world on this horse not winning the Champion Hurdle?

The horse has every chance IMO.

I said zero chance unless the first 6 in the betting fall. Which there is a minute chance of that happening so I won’t be laying my house on it lol. But to be honest it does not have the class to beat the first 6 and if its heavy I still think it will be out of first 4

Viewing 17 posts - 137 through 153 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.