The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Zarkandar.

He was never right last year (Paul Nicholls words) and that’s frightenening, as is the thought of general improvement plus improving for the wind operation.

I think he’ll be a superstar, I really do.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

This race sooooooooo depends on if Hurricane Fly is there, and if he is, how fit will he be? If he’s within 10% of his best, he wins beautifully again.

Zarkandar is the only horse who has the talent to oppose such a talent, and even he will come up a couple of lengths short in my opinion.

There is a lot of hype about Grandoeut, unjustified in my opinion. He is such a talented horse, just one that doesn’t cut the mustard for me. I know that HurdyGurdyMan will be straight on my case for this, and I have no real evidence to back myself up as I don’t see his so-called ‘jumping limities’ as a problem. I just think he won’t be able to crack it in the best of a very good bunch of talented 2 milers.

What comes next makes me think. Grandoeut will be running to try and win, which, for me, he simply won’t be able to do against at least 2 faster, better horses.

Making places in Champion Hurdles generally pulls out a scrapper, one who keeps finding and I personally think the one to pick could well be one who runs his own race, and grabs a spot from nowhere. Brampour is such a big e/w shout, screams value. 25/1 right now may make people think right now that he clearly isn’t the best horse in the race, why back him? The ‘best’ horses in this race probably won’t place, as they won’t keep the pace with the best, but if you watch Brampour in his last few races, he will stay and stay and stay.

Hurricane to win if he’s there, with the very talented Zarkandar either taking his place if he isn’t or following him if he is, and Brampour following.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I think it’s bizarre that someone can claim Zarkandar will beat Grandouet in the race ( when the former hasn’t been seen yet ) based on their meeting in the Triumph, and then claim that Brampour will also beat Grandouet even though the latter has won both times the two have met, including the aforementioned Triumph.

My question about the race is if Spirit Son makes it there, which does Geraghty choose ?

I think last seasons Supreme was an excellent race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’m not arguing, I find it rather bemusing you gave excuses prior to the run, and then when he hacks up, you make more excuses. Enjoy.

Form well and truly franked today…

HARRYA2508
    • Total Posts 1

I have to say Grandeout on the provision that his jumping improves!!

i had to laugh at the people who say Hurricane Fly only has to turn up. No such thing as a certainty in Jumps Racing or flat racing for that matter!!

I never knew a horse that could tell you how it is feeling on the day!! :D

One of us is sure to be a winner on the day!!

• Total Posts 1533

I think it’s bizarre that someone can claim Zarkandar will beat Grandouet in the race ( when the former hasn’t been seen yet ) based on their meeting in the Triumph, and then claim that Brampour will also beat Grandouet even though the latter has won both times the two have met, including the aforementioned Triumph.

My question about the race is if Spirit Son makes it there, which does Geraghty choose

Considering Al Ferof beat Spirit Son but was sent fencing must tell you something about how much PN thinks of Zakander. He’ll be out soon enough as will Spirit Son. The big hurdling money is at Cheltenham Aintree and Ireland is why they are being geared up for a spring Campaign and Wullie Mullins not to be left out is doing the same with Hurricane Fly by the looks of things.

If any of these horses were injured you’d soon know about it.

Grandouet has improved no end and may well have improved past Spirit Son who was all at sea on the undulations last year but don’t forget Grandouet is only going to be 5 come March.

Obviously he wont show his hand until all the cards are dealt and we’ll just have to wait and see but right now Grandouet who’s beat a decent senior in Overturn must be the most likely one. It’s up Spirit Son to do something to change that

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Considering Al Ferof beat Spirit Son but was sent fencing must tell you something about how much PN thinks of Zakander. He’ll be out soon enough as will Spirit Son. The big hurdling money is at Cheltenham Aintree and Ireland is why they are being geared up for a spring Campaign and Wullie Mullins not to be left out is doing the same with Hurricane Fly by the looks of things.

If any of these horses were injured you’d soon know about it.

Yes, the big prizes are at the end of season but it would be very surprising to just miss three months of the season unless there have been problems of varying degrees along the way. Perhaps someone can confirm how many Champion Hurdle have been won either first time out or off a single run during the season. I suspect very few.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

With the Triumph form franked again today by Unaccompanied, I cannot see the 10s about Zarkandar lasting much longer – Nicholls sounding very bullish too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The 2011 Triumph is by a street the best Triumph that’s been run in my lifespan as a horse racing fan. Nothing else comes even close to comparing with it. Hope Nicholls gets Zarkandar out next month, just an egg-and-spoon race to get the freshness off, then to the Kingwell and then Cheltenham.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

I quite like the chance of oscars well in the champion after that decent run today.

he got outspeeded by the filly today, but at cheltenham up the hill his lack of a change of gears may not be so significant.

last year he came to himself in the spring, and was travelling best of all in the neptune before making a horrendous mistake at the last. he stays further than 2 miles as well which you often need in a champion hurdle winner. certainly rates a very decent each way bet.

• Total Posts 660

I see Ladbroke are offering 2/1 NRNB on Hurricane Fly. This looks pretty good as I think the general 5/2 allows for healthscares. The slight problem is that last season’s novices look quite good so it is hard to see HF going off at very short odds. He was 11/4 SP last time.

• Total Posts 121

Rumors going around is he wont run until the festival like Quvega.We all know it worked for her but HF can run a bit free my only worry is he’ll pull to hard after being so fresh.

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Quevega going to the festival without a run up against some pretty moderate mares is one thing, Hurricane Fly going there without a run up against hopefully, the best two mile hurdlers around is another. He’s fragile as it is, so presumably he’s not 100% to line up, and yes he can be quite free at times which can’t be a help in a championship race. I hope he lines up as it would "spoil" the race somewhat, but it wouldn’t be a penalty kick without a prep run.

• Total Posts 1508

Interesting thoughts from others on here regarding this years Champion hurdle contenders,I’m of the opinion that ‘Hurricane Fly’ is too short at 5/2 for a horse who could very easily fail to even make it there.’Grandouet’ has one or two pieces of stand-out form that makes him a possible placer at best,had the race been run anywhere else other than Cheltenham he would have had more chance,i feel for a 5yo he is pretty exposed in 13 runs.’Zarkandar’ on the other hand ticks every box,you get the feeling this fellow has bags of scope and a gait that attacks the hill at Cheltenham (unlike the bridle horse Grandouet).Aintree wasn’t anywhere near as tough an assignment as this fellow requires,i like him a lot and can see him going off 3/1 on the day.His time in beating Grandouet easily marks the ‘Triumph’ down as a serious piece of form.However as much as i see ‘Zarkandar’ as a major player i can still see him coming second to

Spirit Son

,for a horse running only for the 4th time in his career he would have been placed in last years Champion,this seasons Arkle winner and one of my bankers for the meeting

Al Ferof

would have won last years Champion Hurdle,incredible time clocked for novices which confirms last years Champion itself wasn’t a vintage one.No i’m pretty cofident i saw 2 exceptional novices in last years ‘Supreme’..Who was the 3rd horse? :shock: By the way,Barry Geraghty will be on ‘Spirit Son’! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Interesting thoughts from others on here regarding this years Champion hurdle contenders,I’m of the opinion that ‘Hurricane Fly’ is too short at 5/2 for a horse who could very easily fail to even make it there.’Grandouet’ has one or two pieces of stand-out form that makes him a possible placer at best,had the race been run anywhere else other than Cheltenham he would have had more chance,i feel for a 5yo he is pretty exposed in 13 runs.’Zarkandar’ on the other hand ticks every box,you get the feeling this fellow has bags of scope and a gait that attacks the hill at Cheltenham (unlike the bridle horse Grandouet).Aintree wasn’t anywhere near as tough an assignment as this fellow requires,i like him a lot and can see him going off 3/1 on the day.His time in beating Grandouet easily marks the ‘Triumph’ down as a serious piece of form.However as much as i see ‘Zarkandar’ as a major player i can still see him coming second to

Spirit Son

,for a horse running only for the 4th time in his career he would have been placed in last years Champion,this seasons Arkle winner and one of my bankers for the meeting

Al Ferof

would have won last years Champion Hurdle,incredible time clocked for novices which confirms last years Champion itself wasn’t a vintage one.No i’m pretty cofident i saw 2 exceptional novices in last years ‘Supreme’..Who was the 3rd horse? :shock: By the way,Barry Geraghty will be on ‘Spirit Son’! :wink:

The seniors carry more weight. Your reasoning is off.

• Total Posts 1533

Got nothing to do with weight or at least very little. It’s all down to the pace of races and while it is a guide to how good a horse might be comparing times can be a very dangerous game to play. No way to be trying to find a Champion Hurdle winner. If Hurricane Fly had run in the Supreme Gordon are you trying to tell us a bunch off novices would have beat him? Me thinks not!!!

Zakander seems to be the least of the teams worry at Seven Barrows it’s no secret they say both Grandouet and Spirit Son to a lesser extent were a bit weak last year and will improve way past him.

They certainly look to have much more scope for improvement and Grandouet has already shown he’s a different horse to the one, a very mature looking, Zakander beat.

What they seem certain about is both these horses and Binocular are much better than Oscar Whisky ever was at 2 miles. Which one they think is best I suppose depends very much on who your talking to. Nicky said Spirit Son could be very special and feels he to was weak last season but emphasised Grandouet has already shown he’s improved.

All 3 have more than a fair chances of beating Hurricane Fly which makes it a much better looking renewal than last season. So I agree Hurricane Fly is probably nearer a 4/1 shot than a 5/2 shot.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

5 year olds have a shocking record in the race but last year’s crop of juveniles seem as good as has been seen for many a season. While some of the leading contenders have proved their well-being and improvement, Zarkander has not. The physical changes from colt to horse, even if the fundamentals are lacking, sees differing levels of improvement, so while the form of the Triumph Hurdle has been worth following, to do so blindly may result in burnt digits. It is worth bearing in mind that 4yos have a terrible record in the Ladbroke and that stat was maintained this season.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.