The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2012

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 323 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 80

Arazi, I was jumping up and down when Binocular won so easily on Saturday, but don’t you think that Celestial Halo might not have been quite himself in the light of the news from Ditcheat?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I and some others said exactly the same on Twitter on Saturday after he crossed the line.

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Arazi, I was jumping up and down when Binocular won so easily on Saturday, but don’t you think that Celestial Halo might not have been quite himself in the light of the news from Ditcheat?

I dont think he Celestial Halo,ran much differently to his other races this season. Depending on how you rate Starluck’s effort, perhaps 148. Still a performance to make Binocular a genuine threat if Henderson has left a little bit to work on.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

PFN reports that Zarkandar returned from Newbury with ‘a filthy nose and cough’ but should be okay in a few days.

This is some horse.

aston
    • Total Posts 168

Marvellous. PFN sends his sick horses the length and breadth of England 3 weeks before Chelts.

• Total Posts 1533

PFN reports that Zarkandar returned from Newbury with ‘a filthy nose and cough’ but should be okay in a few days.

This is some horse.

Must be.

Paul Nichols said Big Bucks and Kauto Star are fine and have no signs :shock: he went on….neither do 80% of my horses

It would appear to me there are no signs until racing or he wouldn’t have run Zarkandar, would he?

He must be a stonewall certainty for the Champion Hurdle after a performance like that when under the weather.

I won’t be rushing to back him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

This is some horse.

Must be.

Paul Nichols said Big Bucks and Kauto Star are fine and have no signs :shock: he went on….neither do 80% of my horses

It would appear to me there are no signs until racing or he wouldn’t have run Zarkandar, would he?

He must be a stonewall certainty for the Champion Hurdle after a performance like that when under the weather.

You’re right, I’m sure he wouldn’t have run had the trainer known he was sick. The horse was also unsuited by the pace and had traffic problems yet still won with any amount in hand.

He’s unbeaten, won arguably the best Triumph for years very comfortably, is tailor-made for the hill, has a ton of improvement in him according to PFN, which part of all this don’t you like?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Running a horse who is sick can take an enormous amount out of them, especially after so long off the track. His well-being in 3 weeks time will have to be taken on trust. Having the ability to win the race is one thing, but he will have to improve over a stone on that run while also recovering from an ailment in a very short space of time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Running a horse who is sick can take an enormous amount out of them, especially after so long off the track. His well-being in 3 weeks time will have to be taken on trust. Having the ability to win the race is one thing, but he will have to improve over a stone on that run while also recovering from an ailment in a very short space of time.

Fair point

• Total Posts 1533

This is some horse.

Must be.

You’re right, I’m sure he wouldn’t have run had the trainer known he was sick. The horse was also unsuited by the pace and had traffic problems yet still won with any amount in hand.

He’s unbeaten, won arguably the best Triumph for years very comfortably, is tailor-made for the hill, has a ton of improvement in him according to PFN, which part of all this don’t you like?

The part that makes me think he might beat mines :lol:

Seriously? The fact he took forever to get going and Ruby was working like mad to get him to do so. It wasn’t so bad in the Triumph when Grandouet cruised into the lead but Daryl Jacobs was having to ride him to get into contention. Once he got there he ran on very strongly and no doubt the hill does suit him.

Whether he has improved as much as Grandouet has is hard to say but there’s more chance of Zarkandar coming off the bridle by the top of the hill than there is Grandouet

That is where I reckon Zarkandar could lose the race if Binocular arrives there fit and well.

Binocular is capable of injecting a sudden burst of speed into the race at a very crucial point that very few could cope with.

There is only one way to ride him and it’s not holding him up. AP will be looking to slip them after the 3rd last and the pace will increase so much and so suddenly anything that can’t quicken instantly and needs to be bustled along will be left for dead with very little chance of getting back into the race.

Grandouet has his high cruising speed to carry him along and Hurricane Fly has so many gears he won’t bat an eyelid but as for Zarkandar as good as he might be I think he’ll struggle to catch Binocular and the other two will be gone and the race over before the Nichols horse can get close enough to strike a blow.

Zarkandar’s best chance IMO is to be a length up on Binocular and as close to him as possible at all times. He is the key to winning the race IMO and when AP makes his move don’t even think about waiting because wherever he goes Ruby will be right there with him as will Barry.

To win the race IMO first you have to catch and pass Binocular before the last which won’t be easy for any of them.

There will be no coming late in this race as neither Grandouet or Hurrcane Fly have the slightest worry about the hill and if they can pass Binocular and jump the last together, if Zakandar isn’t right there with them he has no chance.

That’s my opinion anyway.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

‘Grandouet to undergo surgery tonight on near hind reports Nicky Henderson. Will know more tomorrow about prospects of making Champion hurdle’

He is brilliant.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

It’s a long time since Binocular showed himself capable of injecting a burst of speed into a race; I’m not in the least worried about Binocular.

If Z turns up in top condition, I’m not worried about anything :D

Participant
    • Total Posts 509

‘Grandouet to undergo surgery tonight on near hind reports Nicky Henderson. Will know more tomorrow about prospects of making Champion hurdle’

He is brilliant.

22s on Betfair. Priceless.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

8.6 the other day. 12.5 this morning.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Ground-hog Day.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

He is brilliant.

" He’s on antibiotics, leg is still a problem, should go swimming later in the week, we’re hopeful "

then there’s a setback

" He needs surgery "

At least he’s keeping people informed which is what people are always banging on about. Mullins wouldn’t say a word

Participant
    • Total Posts 296

It’s a long time since Binocular showed himself capable of injecting a burst of speed into a race; I’m not in the least worried about Binocular.

If Z turns up in top condition, I’m not worried about anything :D

Don’t you think that Hurricane Fly might have a teeny weeny chance of beating Z?

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 323 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.