The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2011

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Can someone make clear the rules which declare something a banned substance. I mean can such a substance never be given to a horse who goes to the races? Is it banned for ever and always for racehorses?

• Total Posts 638

As I understand it,
    Some drugs are legitimate treatments for horses ailments, however they have the potential to improve/decrease performance.
    Therefore they can be given to horses as a prescribed remedy…at the same time due to the performance element they must be clear of the system before racing.

Mr Henderson decided to give such a drug to Binocular two weeks ago, furthermore after being unsatisfied by the initial results he decided to give another dose the following day. From this we can assume the malady was fairly serious, such a risk would surely not be undertaken otherwise.

Following intelligence that a horse (unnamed, as far as I am aware) had recently failed a test for the same drug, NH approached the BHA earlier this week and asked for an ‘elective test’, this was agreed to by BHA (this decison and process not made public).

Following the positive result of this test on Binocular for the prescribed (but prohibited drug), BHA advised he should not participate in the Champion Hurdle and therefore he was removed from the entries today by connections.

This is my understanding…happy to be corrected if inaccurate.

• Total Posts 1402

I’ve been out all day so I’ve just heard the Binocular news. A couple of thoughts:

1. It looks as though my hunch that all was not well with Binny was spot on. This is clearly what has prevented Henderson and co making the bullish reports that came out before the race last year.
    2. I do wonder whether this was another substance that Henderson didn’t think would be revealed by testing and so was administered even though he knew it wouldn’t be out of his system by the day of the race. Asking for the BHA to test the horse sounds highly suspicious. All these drugs have known withdrawal periods and I can only assume that Henderson was tipped off that the substance would be picked up in a post race test so he decided on a course of action that stops him being found in breach of the rules again.

• Total Posts 660

Well done Tuffers – a very good spot on Henderson’s Bino comments. I thought he was just being cautious but your antennae are more sensitive than mine.

• Total Posts 1982

Excellent write up Bosranic, I’ve read numerous opinions on this year’s race but for me that is just about the best.

It’s helped by the fact that I pretty much agree word for word with it.

Sadly we are both staring failure in the face because another poster knows the outcome already.

"I knows me horses me"

Many thanks, wilsonl.

It’s such a shame that Binocular can not defend his crown. I would have been disappointed if any of the leading contenders missed the race, but to lose the current champion is the biggest blow imaginable.

It still promises to be a terrific contest and you wouldn’t be surprised if any one of seven claimed the honour.

Choosing between Binocular and Hurricane Fly was a tough choice. I suppose the question mark surrounding the latters ability to reproduce his form around Cheltenham led to my decision to side with the horse who has already been there and done it – and done it well.

Of course, there’s nothing to suggest that the Irish challenger won’t be suited by Cheltenham. It’s not like the apprehensions many have about Long Run, who has disappointed twice at the track.

As I mentioned in my preview, the only worry I have is that he always seems to doing a bit too much in his races, but the expected fierce gallop will certainly help.

In my opinion, he’s by far the most talented horse in the field now that Binocular is absent and I’m confident of him running a massive race.

My revised 1-2-3:

1 HURRICANE FLY
    2 PEDDLERS CROSS
    3 MENORAH

Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

Excellent write up Bosranic, I’ve read numerous opinions on this year’s race but for me that is just about the best.

It’s helped by the fact that I pretty much agree word for word with it.

Sadly we are both staring failure in the face because another poster knows the outcome already.

"I knows me horses me"

Many thanks, wilsonl.

It’s such a shame that Binocular can not defend his crown. I would have been disappointed if any of the leading contenders missed the race, but to lose the current champion is the biggest blow imaginable.

It still promises to be a terrific contest and you wouldn’t be surprised if any one of seven claimed the honour.

Choosing between Binocular and Hurricane Fly was a tough choice. I suppose the question mark surrounding the latters ability to reproduce his form around Cheltenham led to my decision to side with the horse who has already been there and done it – and done it well.

Of course, there’s nothing to suggest that the Irish challenger won’t be suited by Cheltenham. It’s not like the apprehensions many have about Long Run, who has disappointed twice at the track.

As I mentioned in my preview, the only worry I have is that he always seems to doing a bit too much in his races, but the expected fierce gallop will certainly help.

In my opinion, he’s by far the most talented horse in the field now that Binocular is absent and I’m confident of him running a massive race.

My revised 1-2-3:

1 HURRICANE FLY
    2 PEDDLERS CROSS
    3 MENORAH

The main concern for me about Hurricane Fly is that no Montjeu has won at Cheltenham – 50 attempts apparently (correct me if i’m wrong because i may well be) – that’s a massive stat that’s v hard to ignore.

• Total Posts 1982

^^How many horses sired by Montjeu have been as good as Hurricane Fly and / or gone to Cheltenham with a favourites chance?

http://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/st … 4&tab=stud

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

Very dramatic Sunday!

Surely this could have been avoided – Henderson should surely know the exact score with substances that are being administered to his horses – it’s the bloody Champion Hurdle!

Very odd, and as Tuffers has suggested, there may be more to this than meets the eye. Was it really for an allergic reaction? Could the drug have enhanced his performance?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/ma … ion-hurdle

Also, if one backed another runner in the field and took a price NRNB is there going to be a rule 4? And if it is backed antepost with price taken will there be a reduction?

Thanks,

Zip

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

Obviously Mr.Henderson’s new vet.is not quite up to the challenge.Got it wrong at first time of asking.Could not afford having his license lost, following the nod and wink instructions of a boss who would throw him under the bus, like he did his predecessor.

• Total Posts 1402

Obviously Mr.Henderson’s new vet.is not quite up to the challenge.Got it wrong at first time of asking.Could not afford having his license lost, following the nod and wink instructions of a boss who would throw him under the bus, like he did his predecessor.

One other (slightly fanciful) possibility is that this is the veterinary profession paying back Henderson for hanging James Main out to dry. What better way to teach a trainer a lesson than to force him to scratch his best Festival prospect?

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Also, if one backed another runner in the field and took a price NRNB is there going to be a rule 4? And if it is backed antepost with price taken will there be a reduction?

Thanks,

Zip

There is no rule 4 applied to ante-post bets Zip.

The big advantage to betting in the weeks prior to the festival – once the firms are offering NRNB of course. Your horse gets withdrawn; you get your money back. Another leading horse gets withdrawn; the odds on yours shorten but you get the bigger price. A no-brainer tbh.

Lee

• Total Posts 1402

Interesting to read this morning that Donald McCain is almost more bullish about Overturn than he is about Peddlers Cross. I don’t read that as a negative for Peddlers Cross at all just a big positive for Overturn.

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

Thanks,

Zip

There is no rule 4 applied to ante-post bets Zip.

The big advantage to betting in the weeks prior to the festival – once the firms are offering NRNB of course. Your horse gets withdrawn; you get your money back. Another leading horse gets withdrawn; the odds on yours shorten but you get the bigger price. A no-brainer tbh.

Lee

I backed peddlers cross twice in the last month NRNB with Ladbrokes who informed me by email that both bets will be subject to rule 4s.

:x :x

Participant
    • Total Posts 2037

Firstly, I don’t belive the hype about this being an exceptional Champion Hurdle. The four favoutites have avoided each other, beating lower graded horse, thus arriving with falsely elevated reputations; makes me long for the days of Night Nurse and Birds Nest and MonksField and Sea Pigeon who clashed regulalry over the year and were none the worse for it. Even during the Brave Inca, Hrady Eustace era, they took each other on again and again during the season.
    OK, got that off my chest; Hurricane Fly, danger is Oscar Whiskey

ramraid44
    • Total Posts 6

i feel a bit sorry for Donald McCain really as i personally think Peddlars Cross would have won, Binocular or no Binocular.Neptune winners have a fantastic record in the Champion Hurdle as per Hardy Eustace/Istabraq and this year another outstanding horse should follow on from this trend, quite easily i feel, i think Menorah is the only real danger as his course form is exceptional.Can’t touch the "Fly" with a bargepole to be honest, never ran here, only ever beat Solwhit, now Solwhit has been stwepped up in trip. the form is very lacklustre to say the least, i don’t even think he’ll be placed (i’d rather have Dunguib in 3rd) it will be interesting to see Cue Card in the first as all the Menorah form lines have Cue Card as a yardstick. I still can’t figure out why Recession Proof is thrice the price in that race.

• Total Posts 2184

Can’t touch the "Fly" with a bargepole to be honest, never ran here, only ever beat Solwhit, now Solwhit has been stwepped up in trip. the form is very lacklustre to say the least, i don’t even think he’ll be placed (i’d rather have Dunguib in 3rd)

Dunguib was over 15L behind Hurricane Fly at Punchestown last April

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

i totally agree with you ramraid, it will be a decent forcast and tricast with the 3 you mentioned, solwhit has ran 4 times behind the fly which isnt very good form as solwhit is an exposed player these days. had the fly took on better opposition then he may of been an ew bet, go native was off form when he got beat off that horse, the fly would be better suited to 2ml 4f on soft.

Viewing 17 posts - 307 through 323 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.