The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Hurdle 2011

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Hurdle 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 660

Stan James and PP are generously refunding

all

ante post (including straight antepost) bets on Bino. The lesson is is it’s usually a good idea to bet on any race with the sponsor or PP, other things being equal.

On a related matter I do find the NRNB concession extremely generous and wonder how long it will carry on. If for example Big Bucks drops out at the last minute the bookies will lose a lot of money on the World Hurdle.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

Let’s be clear that the administration of the medication in question is perfectly legitimate; BHA rules simply don’t allow horses to run with it in their system. The problem is a distinct lack of communication, much the same as last year when Binocular came from relative obscurity to hack up.

Agreed – it is not a banned substance as some on here have stated this morning – horses are just not permitted to run with it still in their system. Henderson approaced the BHA to ask for the test to ensure it had cleared before Tuesday’s race and they advised that it hadn’t and probably wouldn’t ‘clear’ by Tuesday.

Should the Henderson camp have said more a couple of weeks ago? He’s damned if he did and damned cause he didn’t. Imagine this scenario – he tells all a couple of weeks ago that Binocular has a problem – price drifts out to 10/1 as he’s doubtful to line up and then this morning he says all is OK and price collapses back into 3s – i hear the cries now – "Oh, he knew all along he’d be fit and ready! it’s a McManus plot-job!"
    He’s in a lose-lose situ here.

I think on this one he was probably right to be silent – the big Q for me is – Was he given duff advice by the vet? The vet must’ve assured him and connections that the drug would clear his system in time for Tuesday.

I will declare that i’ve had a number of bets on Binnie – however, they’re in doubles and trebles, so i guess the other horses in those bets will stand for the week – am i right?

• Total Posts 660

Wilts – your bets will be ok if they are NRNB or with S James or PP.Otherwise you’ll have lost the lot unless your bookie is feeling sorry for you.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

Wilts – your bets will be ok if they are NRNB or with S James or PP.Otherwise you’ll have lost the lot unless your bookie is feeling sorry for you.

I need to check my folder with all my bets in – i think one of them is ante-post and one is NRNB. Luckily we’re only talking a couple of tenners.

Who do i back now? Do i take a chance on Hurricane Fly? I’ve done Thousand Stars e/w at 50s, so i’ll stick with that one for my place chances, but i always like to do a win only.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Crikey – although I’m a massive fan of Hurricane Fly, I’m sad that he won’t be able to prove himself against the best 2m hurdler this side of the Irish Sea.

Oh, and what do people think about Ruby getting the HF ride? He’s one of the best in the business – maybe THE best – but I can’t help feel a little sorry for Paul Townend.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

An announcement two weeks ago need not have been dramatic, Wilts. All Henderson had to say was that Binocular was being treated for an allergy and that, whilst he expected him to recover in plenty of time, ante-post bettors should tread carefully until an official statement is made.

• Total Posts 660

Khyber Kim is surely the value selection now. He is effectively last year’s winner and as such will I reckon go off at about 10-1. If he wins no doubt the SP will magically be nearer 5-1.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

Khyber Kim is surely the value selection now. He is effectively last year’s winner and as such will I reckon go off at about 10-1. If he wins no doubt the SP will magically be nearer 5-1.

He’s definitely come into my calcs today – but will the ground have enough soft in it? Rained quite a bit last night in these parts (i live in Bristol, not too far from Cheltenham) but it’s now a beautiful spring day, sun is out and it’s v pleasant, so ground should dry out a little today i’d think.

KK is a definite temptation and NTD’s horses are in decent form, as they nearly always are later in the NH season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 443

I was just logging on to make a similar point Kasparov.

There no form that suggests Khyber Kim can’t win this now. He had it all to do against the reigning champion but I can’t see any reason why he can’t finish ahead of the rest of these. I’m not declaring it will happen, only that theres no reason it can’t happen.

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

For a start Henderson is a complete moran and an idiot. A cock up of this magnitude is unacceptable. I backed Peddlers cross so my gripe is that Henderson has brought the game into disrepute.

Many of you now will already have your excuses, peddlers only won as binny wasnt there and so on. Well let me tell you that his presence would of made no difference to the outcome.

Henderson is a total disaster. Regardless of his trainning record his management and planning skills are apparently non existent.

This is a joke two days before one of the biggest Champion Hurdles in recent years.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 23

For a start Henderson is a complete moran and an idiot. A cock up of this magnitude is unacceptable. I backed Peddlers cross so my gripe is that Henderson has brought the game into disrepute.

Many of you now will already have your excuses, peddlers only won as binny wasnt there and so on. Well let me tell you that his presence would of made no difference to the outcome.

Henderson is a total disaster. Regardless of his trainning record his management and planning skills are apparently non existent.

This is a joke two days before one of the biggest Champion Hurdles in recent years.

The lack of openness a fortnight ago especially when the race is almost upon us just shows they dont have much regard for the punter or race goer…odd how some of that stables runners seem to improve beyond all recognition often when you least expect it. Binoculars defection makes no difference to the outcome of the race whatsoever the facts prove he simply could not live with the pace, stamina and acceleration of Peddlers Cross and I doubt anything else can either..theres only Big Bucks in his class. Peddlers Cross v Big Bucks in the Stayers Hurdle would have been the race of the Century!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I have backed Menorah for the Champion Hurdle with the proviso NRNB.
    I just hope the unfortunate punters who have backed Binocular have done likewise.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 1820

I just hope the unfortunate punters who have backed Binocular have done likewise.

Re my earlier post i just checked with BET365 and my doubles and treble with Binny included, still stands open as the other horses in the other races are still in, so that’s a relief.

Had a little punt on KK now for the Champion, but knowing me i’ll somehow get Hurricane Fly in a little dble on Tuesday – prob with Quevega. I only bet small stakes and a tenner on a 3 or 4/1 shot doesn’t normally float my boat, so i’ll double up.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

My bet was not nrnb, it was 363 days ago though. But it was with Stan James, so hopefully their gesture of refunding stakes applies to everyone. Phew!

Now make Khyber Kim @ 14/1 (with Stan James), Oscar Whiskey 8/1 (generally) and Overturn 50/1 (generally) my value bets.

Anyone know if anything came to light to explain Overturn’s run at Wincanton?

Khyber Kim ran at Kempton, both starts right-handed have been poor and trainer always goes through a bad run at Christmas. You can almost ignore that run. Is getting old for a Champion Hurdler, but worth taking a chance at the price.

My 100% book:
    Hurricane Fly 4/1, Menorah 4/1, Peddlers Cross 5/1,

Oscar Whiskey 13/2, Khyber Kim 17/2

, Dunguib 15/1, Mille Chief 22/1, Thousand Stars 22/1,

Overturn 28/1

, Clerks Choice 125/1, Bygones Of Brid 1000/1.

Value Is Everything
    Ballybricken
    • Total Posts 14

Champion Hurdle

This should be the race of the meeting, possibly the decade. There is a realistic case to be made for all of the first 7 in the betting. Menorah showed he has guts as well as speed with a brilliant weight carrying performance in the Greatwood Hurdle earlier this year and easily dispatched top novices Cue Card and Silvanico Conti in the International hurdle. The flip side is both the above appear stayers in the making and he has yet to beat a rival that could be considered a realistic contender for this race. Similarily Mille Chief won a good handicap under a big weight but struggled home against a horse who wouldnt be near this class next time out. Oscar Whiskey is a tad unlucky in that he probably falls between stools and ideally wants 2m4f.
    Dunguib was last years talking horse but his poor hurdling and a ‘funny’ ride saw him come up short. His comeback run although not that impressive to the eye, if you take Luska Lad as a yardstick (usually gives his running) the form is not that far off what Hurricane Fly has shown this year and he may be a lively outsider.
    Binocular is an enigma. He was impressive last year although the race looked to lack depth and he has never run a bad race at the festival. Ive a feeling he’s never had to deal with the likes of the 2 potential superstars in the field this year.
    Hurricane Fly has the effortless look of a champion about. Fragile but brilliant he’s the winner of 9 out of his 11 races over hurdles. Most in the top grade. Of his two defeats ,one came when a novice in his native France and the other when returning from a long layoff and even then it was a respectable 3rd in a Grade 1. Has yet to face this kind of a test but everything in his makeup and breeding suggest he should relish it(Group winning son of Montjeu over staying trips on flat).Will take something very special to beat him.
    That could very well be Peddlers Cross. As yet unbeaten over a variety of trips from 2m to 2m5f. Looked a certain future stayer when a gutsy winner of the 2m5 novice at last years festival beating the experienced Reve De Siviola and Ascot Gold Cup winner Rite of Passage. He returned this year over 2m and proved he is at least equally effective over that trip slamming reigning champ Binocular and Starluck under conditions more suited to speed than stamina. Not overly impressive in a bloodless prep win although he’s not the type to noticeably quicken and just keeps pulling out more off the bridle. If he kicks for home early off the turn the rest are in serious trouble as it’ll take a tough customer to peg him back.

Selection: Peddlers Cross

R F/C Peddlers Cross/Hurricane Fly

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1176

Anyone know if anything came to light to explain Overturn’s run at Wincanton?

Donald McCain stated the ground was to blame Ginger,when he arrived at the course he was told by several people that it was a lot softer than expected,Jason Mcguire confirmed that by saying he never felt at any time the horse was happy.If

Overturn

gets good ground on Tuesday you will get a run for your money,i have taken 50/1 myself,e/w of course,i can see him being backed too.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

if there is any trainer that can improve a horse then its donald mcain, he has learned his trade of his dad who had probably the greatest staying horse thats ever been in the brilliant red rum, he didnt have many horses in training but galloping them on the beach was never heard of till ginger came along, it certainly gets them into race fitness. mary revely done the same at saltburn beach and now that her son follows the same training methods he should be followed if he sends any to the festival, ive not had a look to see if he has any running yet. its going to be a great champion hurdle even with binocular out.

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.