The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champion Bumper 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Champion Bumper 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I’m gonna stick my neck out here and go for a Willie Mullins winner…. :D

I hadn’t seen Quinola des Obeaux’s races until Mullins was quoted about him. Horse reminds me of Denman for some reason and looks a monster.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I fancy Cousin Vinny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: any chance of 16/1 AP mate?

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Is it possible to run in the champion bumper twice? I’m sure said that its a max of 2 or 3 but that graded races don’t count? Refinement might have, will go check :D

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

You’re often lucky if I bet in the Champion Bumper on the day, but I’d like to put forward Quadrillon for anyone thinking of a bet. He looked a proper horse in winning at Naas on Sunday.

And guess who trains him…

The Eye Of Sauron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Roberto Goldback franked the form of Dunguib today (won as 16-1)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Is it possible to run in the champion bumper twice? I’m sure said that its a max of 2 or 3 but that graded races don’t count? Refinement might have, will go check :D

You can run in it more than once – as Refinement did (could run in it 3 times in theory) but CV would be ineligible as unlike in Ireland once you’ve run over hurdles you can’t run in any more Bumpers.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I thought Willie Mullins’ interview on ATR on Sunday was interesting. He said that three of the four he ran in the Champion Bumper last year hadn’t run at this stage and indicated that he had plenty of nice ones still to come out….

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

I am very pleased with my £2 at 150 Cadspeed. Expect someone would like to buy it off me… :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

I thought Willie Mullins’ interview on ATR on Sunday was interesting. He said that three of the four he ran in the Champion Bumper last year hadn’t run at this stage and indicated that he had plenty of nice ones still to come out….

Four nice ones not been on a racecourse yet,he said,all of which could be real contenders in the Champion Bumper. Scary lads really . I was hoping to run one in it but it`s a daunting prospect.

• Total Posts 2184

A lot of Willie’s recent bumper winners have been French breds and they wouldn’t have the greatest record in the Cheltenham bumper. I’d say he’ll have a few more contenders yet to run. Should be some craic at the Cheltenham previews trying to find out which one is his best!

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Must be a decent bet to have any of Mullins though?

TheOneAndOnlyTonyMcCoy
    • Total Posts 202

Quinola Des Obeaux for me. My friend knows the trainer and they are very very confident.

Grand National
    • Total Posts 38

Quinola Des Obeaux for me too. I was interested looking back through the stables tours published in the Racing Post prior to Christmas to read that back then Willie Mullins spoke of Quel Espirit as his potential main bumper hope. He won well recently but the performance of Quinola Des Obeaux is the best of the Mullins candidates seen so far, allbeit who knows what beast he could have lurking in his yard ready to strike shortly. Of the others representing other stables, Dunguib has probably been the most impressive and with his winning form already franked, he looks sure to go well. It often pays to stick with the Irish in this contest so I think i will leave it at that.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Personally I would swerve the Mullins horses. I don’t think there is a Cousin Vinny amongst them. Many of the wins have come in uncompetitive races on bad ground. Most of the time the only other trainers to consider are Meade – many of his horses appear to want better ground – Kiely and to a lesser extent Harrington. Dunguib might be different but as low as 5/1 he represents poor value. He was beaten by On Raglan Road on debut, and although winning both subsequent starts with ease the Mullins horse who chased him home was trounced next time and his win last time was effectively a two horse race against a horse who had been very well placed to land a hat trick. Backers will be hoping being by Presenting he will improve on better ground. Chances are he will need to. At this stage I think the value lies with Vino Griego. Given his subsequent victory and that of the fifth the Newbury race he made his debut in is looking like the best bumper run over here this season.

Grimes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1889

I read a trainer extolling the brilliant flat-breeding of his expensive horse in the bumper, but can’t remember what it was. When the acceptors are published, I’ll be checking out the flat breds, in particular.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

Personally I would swerve the Mullins horses. I don’t think there is a Cousin Vinny amongst them. Many of the wins have come in uncompetitive races on bad ground. Most of the time the only other trainers to consider are Meade – many of his horses appear to want better ground – Kiely and to a lesser extent Harrington. Dunguib might be different but as low as 5/1 he represents poor value. He was beaten by On Raglan Road on debut, and although winning both subsequent starts with ease the Mullins horse who chased him home was trounced next time and his win last time was effectively a two horse race against a horse who had been very well placed to land a hat trick. Backers will be hoping being by Presenting he will improve on better ground. Chances are he will need to. At this stage I think the value lies with Vino Griego. Given his subsequent victory and that of the fifth the Newbury race he made his debut in is looking like the best bumper run over here this season.

Watch the ATR interview with Mullins on their features section. You might change that opinion as it is certainly different to Mullins’.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Watch the ATR interview with Mullins on their features section. You might change that opinion as it is certainly different to Mullins’.

If he has 6 or 7 Cousin Vinny’s going to Cheltenham it should be quite a race. It is up to you if you want to take a trainer’s words as gospel. I find it interesting that despite what he is saying Dunguib is still the one horse shortening up – if you agree with Mullins one or two people must rate Dunguib the best bumper horse ever. I also take on board Wave Power’s defeat, Western Leader failing to get my selection off the bridle and Mullin’s own horse being well beaten at the weekend when considering value of the Irish form.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.