The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Champ

Home Forums Horse Racing Champ

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

Champ is generally 10s for the stayers yet there,s 4s still about for today for the long walk , if the engine is still there then surely he has to go close

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

That well known stepping stone to the Stayers’ Hurdle – the 2m1f Game Spirit Chase!

You couldn’t make it up.

Maybe the Nunthorpe en route next year?

Love it tbh.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

There is still time for Henderson to withdraw the horse because the ground is not suitable.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

A surprising entry against a hot stablemate, who has now been withdrawn due to injury. Backed off the boards now. JP is a lucky bloke when the money is down.

BUY THE SUN

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

TTC bang on the money (AGAIN) there and looks like he wasn’t the only one.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Impressive but then again this happened last year on his first run back and we all know what happened on his 2nd run – maybe a totally bonkers idea but seeing how he travelled today (pulling his jockey’s arms out) and also in the Game Spirit last season, I would consider staying over hurdles but dropping him back in trip for a Champion Hurdle trial.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

You’ve just had the perfect stayers hurdle prep and you want to go back down in distance ? , he halved in price for the stayers in the last week ….is the owner a gambler …. There,s more chance of Native River running in the Champion hurdle trial than Champ

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Pulling that hard in a Stayers Hurdler might find him out stamina wise is what I am thinking and as crazy an idea as it is, a 2m hurdle would be run at a pace where he would more likely settle and not waste energy – in any case Hendo said all options are open and even though it doesn’t seem to be an issue for him over hurdles, that he must go left handed if going over fences.

For me he has too much class/speed to be in a Stayers Hurdle and it is not like he can’t jump fences well (unlike say a Big Bucks) and I am not sure whether that race is a priority to win for the owner but it would be a very big call to go into a Gold Cup off the back of just a hurdle race so I would imagine if they decide its the Gold Cup that they will likey look to have a run over fences beforehand maybe at Newbury…..afterall his RSA win over Minella Indo still reads very well all things being said.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Champ for the 2000 g

No

Tbf he won with guts. Admirable horse

Participant
    • Total Posts 2232

I’d keep him over hurdles after how he ran today. Not sure what big race I’d aim for but he was brilliant today

VF x

Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

LD lesson number 1 …never listen to Hendo , JP will decide where he goes , the money is for the stayers , there,s also the back issue , running over hurdles is easier than jumping fences

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

All about the festival
    Henderson is going to have more winners than Mullins, HDB and Elliot.. :whistle:

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Lol Nathan. Unlikely

I fancy. Elliot will be on a mission ☺️☺️

Participant
    • Total Posts 7473

Thyme Hill and Not So Sleepy currently the joint highest rated GB hurdler on a mark of 160, so presumably Champ now moves to the top of the pile when new ratings come out.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

1. Nicky Henderson and his Sevenbarrows team remain an amazing operation.

2. Given their Cheltenham Festival track record, you’d have to respect Champ if he goes for but the Long Walk Hurdle is a Grade 1 and for me at least the NH season isn’t just about one meeting in March.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3109

Being that the Stayers Hurdle more often than not ends up being a race contested year in year out by the same cast of usual suspects any new blood introduced (that is also open to a little improvement) tend to be well supported because you pretty well know the ceiling of what you are facing.

If Champ turns up for the race he is the most likely winner because he has already shown a level of form today that is good enough to win the race – no guarantee the price plunge has anything to do with McManus (maybe punters thinking if he does run he is different class so getting a big price is worth the risk) so I do believe that options are open currently.

The Gold Cup would surely be the owner’s preferential option all things considered and assuming he is fit and healthy going into Cheltenham and especially as he will be 10 come next March, which considering the last double digit aged horse to win was in 1998 may already be a year too late for him.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7667

“If Champ turns up for the race he is the most likely winner.”

As mentioned in the Cheltenham thread, not if trends has anything to do with it.

Viewing 17 posts - 18 through 34 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.